Subnautica Hard-Mode: Mortality Run

PaterAestusPaterAestus Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 225985Members
First thread, let's see how this goes.

Now, if you're a new player, I would probably stray away from this. I wouldn't want to be the reason any new player drops Subnautica in frustration.

As with multiple different games, many people try to challenge themselves with self-imposed rules to make those games more difficult. A Nuzlocke is a perfect example of this.

So I thought, "What could I do with Subnautica."

The result was, The Mortality Run.

I've created a flow chart that go through the rules of 4 different levels of difficulty.

The Easy Route

The Standard Route

The Hard Route

The Insane Route

qh37mey27wns.jpg

Now, a majority of the rules stated are interchangeable. You can have no Med kits, but you can also have all Vehicles.

So just go wild with what you want to challenge yourself with.

Good luck with your Mortality. ;)

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Interesting...

I might want to try this sometime.

That Standard Route looks just above my speed. ;)
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I'm waiting till 1.0 to do another playthrough which in case Ill just do a normal one so maybe a month afterwards lol
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Nice. Will have to try one as soon as I can get access to seeing what they are. I was just thinking that hardcore really didn't add much in terms of difficulty so this will probably be perfect.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Naw imma keep my sanity and wait till release before a full hard core run
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    Naw imma keep my sanity and wait till release before a full hard core run

Smart.

I just started one this morning.

Crashfish have skyrocketed to the top of the most anoying fish in existence.
  • PaterAestusPaterAestus Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 225985Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Nice. Will have to try one as soon as I can get access to seeing what they are. I was just thinking that hardcore really didn't add much in terms of difficulty so this will probably be perfect.

So you can't see the flowchart?

That's odd.

Let's see, if anyone else is having a problem seeing this, just comment here. I'll see what I can do.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Is it supposed to ask for the Google Drive authorization? The screen is blank if I don't.
    Ralij wrote: »

So you can't see the flowchart?

That's odd.

Let's see, if anyone else is having a problem seeing this, just comment here. I'll see what I can do.

Nope, it asks me to get authorization to see it.
    Hmm, it usually doesn't ask.

I'll see if I can find a better program.
    edited July 2017
    There, it should be in the OP.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    edited July 2017
    After seeing the OP, I have to say @PaterAestus

You truly are a sadist, aren't you? XD

You truly are a sadist, aren't you?

Well, if you consider making a game much harder than it was before sadistic, then I'm 100% a sadist. :D
    edited July 2017

You truly are a sadist, aren't you?

Well, if you consider making a game much harder than it was before sadistic, then I'm 100% a sadist. :D

Hm, or maybe people who go through with this are closet masochists... that is also possible :)
    edited July 2017
    Are you sure there is enough titanium in the world to make the number of pipes you'd need for an insane run? xD I'd even give it a shot with the exception of the no medkits rule. Effectively a nomad run in a way.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    I don't belive it would be possible to play the entire game through without the cyclops or PRAWN. You won't be able to get to the LR or below really. So that makes the Impossible route literally impossible. The Hard route is doable thanks to the crush depth module in the Aurora. It's just going to take forever as you won't be able to build the regular mod station till you get the thermal plant at least. Great ideas overall though.
    I don't belive it would be possible to play the entire game through without the cyclops or PRAWN. You won't be able to get to the LR or below really. So that makes the Impossible route literally impossible. The Hard route is doable thanks to the crush depth module in the Aurora. It's just going to take forever as you won't be able to build the regular mod station till you get the thermal plant at least. Great ideas overall though.

Au contraire, mon ami.

It is in fact possible to get to the PCF without the Cyclops. In the past two months of making and testing these ideas, I did a Hard Route Run, and I made it to the Emperor in record time (due to the fact that I didn't bother making several important machines, which cut a large portion of time off.)

And, theoretically, it is possible to do a true Insane Route Run. Just, ridiculously difficult. Like @Ralij said above, pipes are the answer. I tested how many pipes it took to get to the Lost River through the Greater Blood Kelp (which happens to be one of the longest routes to the main Lost River Hub) and it took exactly 487 pipes to make it to the giant skeleton. That would mean collecting approximately 282 pieces of Titanium.

I'll start a test on how many pipes it takes to get from the Lost River Hub to the PCF.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members

Au contraire, mon ami.

It is in fact possible to get to the PCF without the Cyclops. In the past two months of making and testing these ideas, I did a Hard Route Run, and I made it to the Emperor in record time (due to the fact that I didn't bother making several important machines, which cut a large portion of time off.)

And, theoretically, it is possible to do a true Insane Route Run. Just, ridiculously difficult. Like @Ralij said above, pipes are the answer. I tested how many pipes it took to get to the Lost River through the Greater Blood Kelp (which happens to be one of the longest routes to the main Lost River Hub) and it took exactly 487 pipes to make it to the giant skeleton. That would mean collecting approximately 282 pieces of Titanium.

I'll start a test on how many pipes it takes to get from the Lost River Hub to the PCF.

Ha good luck my friend

Also that's a lot of coffee you have to drink :lol:
    ShuttleBug wrote: »

Ha good luck my friend

Also that's a lot of coffee you have to drink :lol: [/quote]

Thank goodness you can't OD on caffeine in this game! The first major challenge in the insane run is to find a coffee machine before thirst kills you. I'd wager that might even be the hardest part (I also have no idea how I managed to get the coffee machine in my current run)
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    pipes are the answer.

Why not Exterior Growbeds and Brain Coral? Slower maybe, as you'd have to wait for it to grow, but in the long run less collecting titanium and more flexible.

edited August 2017
    Lulzes wrote: »
    pipes are the answer.

Why not Exterior Growbeds and Brain Coral? Slower maybe, as you'd have to wait for it to grow, but in the long run less collecting titanium and more flexible.

Originally, that was what I thought would be the cheapest way to get to the PCF, but after some tests, I found that it is much more expensive in the long run. Not to mention it is a lot less flexible.

While it usually is a very fast and easy way to get down deep, with no vehicles, no airtanks, and no rebreather, you would have to place them at very close intervals. 45 seconds isn't much to work off of, especially 400+ metres down. At the Deep Grand Reef, you have about ~10 real seconds of breath. That's barely enough time to make a growbed and plant the Brain Coral. Eventually, you would have to make a trail of Growbeds right next to each other. Now, theoretically, it would still be possible in Freedom mode, albeit incredibly slow, but it's a different story altogether when Hardcore enters the equation. There would be little chance you could even catch any fish in the air restriction, nor could you carry enough water to get down far and make it back to the surface. Not to mention it's near impossible to dodge any aggressive predators in the limited vertical space. Crabsquids are a death warrant with this strategy.

So, in the short-term, it's faster and cheaper, but it doesn't stay that way for long.
  • LapisWhovianLapisWhovian The Lost River Cove Tree (The base with the moonpool) Join Date: 2018-08-22 Member: 242976Members
    I wonder how effective eating Bladderfish is for gaining oxygen all the way down there. It might actually make the Exterior Growbeds + Brain Coral method slightly smarter.
    Nonetheless, this looks ridiculously hard.
    But I love it and I want to give it a try.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I wonder how effective eating Bladderfish is for gaining oxygen all the way down there. It might actually make the Exterior Growbeds + Brain Coral method slightly smarter.

Can you please not bump threads from last year?
    edited September 2018

Why, this thread was referenced in another thread from a few days ago, not to mention challenges like this are exactly what Subnautica needs right now.

What's your problem with bumping theads? Who is it hurting? What problems is it causing? What harm is it doing for it to be so looked down upon?
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Skope wrote: »

Why, this thread was referenced in another thread from a few days ago, not to mention challenges like this are exactly what Subnautica needs right now.

What's your problem with bumping theads? Who is it hurting? What problems is it causing? What harm is it doing for it to be so looked down upon?

Jeeze, sorry, I'm just tryin' to follow the rules I was told.

I do agree this thread is interesting.
    edited September 2018

I'm sorry, this whole thing about anti-bumping threads has had me stewing for a while now. It's not just you. I'm sorry I made it sound like just you were to blame.

And the rules say that you shouldn't bump threads for no reason. If it's simply to add to the existing conversation, or to bring up new points, then bump the thread all you want.

I once bumped the first thread ever made on these forums, on the 2nd anniversary of Early Access, to remark on how far the game had come from the time that that particular thread had been made. And, besides a person who didn't get the blatant joke I made, no punishment on my end.

It's only really a bump or a necro if it doesn't add anything to the discussion. In this case its neither so we're all good here. :smile:
  • Jim444Jim444 Join Date: 2017-11-20 Member: 234049Members
    Old thread, but it looks very interesting!
    Recommended for everyone while waiting for Below Zero.