Where do you typically build?

13»

Comments

• LavLav Minsk, Belarus Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241524Members
    In my current survival game (also the first survival I play) I went for the westernmost Shallows, facing south towards the grassy plains. It's a nice safe place, with a herd of gasopods nearby for ammo, and practically next door to Jellyshroom cave entrance, Kelp and Mushroom to the north, and Dunes to the west.

My next survival game, I'm considering a no-base and no-Cyclops run. The idea is to plop exterior growbeds as "pit stops", growing Brain Coral (for air supply), Gel Sacks and Bulb Bushes (for food&water), and maybe a single Creepyvine (for extra food variety, extra lighting and a navigation beacon). Will still need to set up a place for battery charging and specialized crafting, but no livable bases.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    I did a playthough where I set myself the task of building a base at each prison portal exit. Too much time on my hands.
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
    I built a base in creative mode that goes from wreck 1 I believe it is, in the east Grassy Plateaus, into the eastern mushroom forest, then taking a 90 degree turn to the Aurora. Which I promptly exploded. Which, well, not my greatest plan.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited June 2018
    well, I just recently started a modded survival run of Subnautica, after collecting a bunch of materials I swam in a random direction to find a perfect spot to build a base. I found a good spot that was near the kelp forest, safe shallows and grassy plateaus, it was also near the northeastern mushroom forest, both blood kelps and it was near a cliff. After building my base I look up and notice I built my base about 150m away from a Reaper in the Dunes. Luckily for me it would only come near my base like every 50 mins or so.
  • samyoursamyour new york Join Date: 2018-06-22 Member: 241625Members
    should i build close to one of the islands?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    samyour wrote: »

If you want to. It doesn't really matter where or how many bases you build. There are a few particularities to each site, such as surrounding resources or distance from some points of interest.
  • Real_AndrewSReal_AndrewS The Hole Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241519Members
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    Am I the only one that likes to build on the underwater islands??

I tend to build my main base on the largest island, the one with the thermal vents right in the middle. Using the vents to supplement my bases power plus later on to charge my cyclops via a "dock". The main island houses 2 moonpools, water purifier and my Reginald tank for food, plus my biggest warehouse for storage.

Then depending on how I feel that play through I use the surrounding smaller islands for various projects,

A "research lab" that has a wing for every biome. Each wing has a 4 - 5 floor tower which holds the alien containment for biome specific critters and plants. With the top floor being used as a picture gallery of sorts..

And finally I'll have my outpost(s) I set up 3 or 4 of them around the world. 2 - 3 high alien containment filled with regis, 4 water purifiers and short term storage. Top it off with cell/battery chargers and a moonpool ( not every outpost has the moonpool )

I know it sounds like a lot and rather grindy but I like that aspect of the game and I'd rather have supplies close by all the time, you never know when it's about to hit the fan.. especially on hardcore. As for the underwater islands it might not be the most visually pleasing area, yet the bonesharks and reefbacks do add to the appeal. Plus the bioluminescent plants are a bonus..
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    Recently in a new survival save of mine I built my starting seabase in the grassy plataeus biome. Near Lifepod 17.
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
    I really like the edge of the UIs. Near the MF and the BK. Especially when the GL wanders down to the area below the UIs. Well, maybe not that last bit....
    Okay, so in a few of my recent playthroughs:

1. Western Safe Shallows (-750, x, 150) is an super-nice spot, close to six different biomes including Jellyshrooms (seven if you count ALZ via PCF entrance). I've discarded this playthrough half-way, though now that I'm better familiar with the game it looks even more promising than I originally thought. The only issue is lack of geothermal power which I'd have to route from the Jellyshroom caves if I decide to re-run.
    2. "No base" idea didn't really play out. You still need some place to recharge your batteries... and do some crafting... and some other crafting... and store all the stuff you've collected... and before you know it, you've got a damn base... :neutral:
    3. ...so in the same game I tried the small trench at the point where Sparse Reef, Deep Reef, Grassy Plateaus and Kelp Forest meet. A nice spot, built a huge base there powered by nearby geothermals, plus there's a useful entrance nearby (ahem). Otherwise nothing spectacular, lack of background music on Sparse Reef sucks and kinda scratches the area off any of my future base plans. So I said "screw this" and flew the hell out of there. :smile:
    4. Tried the central Jellyshroom entrance at (-375, -200 ,-200), right above the hotspots, with a huge vertical staircase upwards to the moonpools. One of my most successful bases so far, especially after I scoured the surrounding area for quartz which is always a deficit when you build big. Grassy Plateaus had tons of quartz... but no longer, I've collected it all (and still need more).
    5. Next playthrough I'll probably go for the border between Grassy, Kelp and NE Mushroom forest, roughly at (500, x, 450). Pretty close to a number of important locations. An interesting alternative is the very north-eastern tip of the BK trench, it seems pretty safe-ish and has a nice creepy atmosphere.
  • AlecBeachAlecBeach Join Date: 2018-06-09 Member: 241267Members
    I build right by the waterfall going to the big tree with all the thermal vents to power my power heavy base.
  • AlecBeachAlecBeach Join Date: 2018-06-09 Member: 241267Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »

If you want to. It doesn't really matter where or how many bases you build. There are a few particularities to each site, such as surrounding resources or distance from some points of interest.

The Cannon island is a good one. Lots of resources. Lots of things to to hurt you too....
  • samyoursamyour new york Join Date: 2018-06-22 Member: 241625Members
    anywhere

this is a good point thank you, so where is there a safe and plentiful place?
  • coolcat05coolcat05 longford Join Date: 2018-07-13 Member: 242160Members
    i build where my life pod is so i don't have to waist materials building a beacon
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    I use the console to find the exact center of the map, then build there.

Yeah I know.
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    coolcat05 wrote: »
    i build where my life pod is so i don't have to waist materials building a beacon

Beacons are super cheap...

I built my base in the sea treaders’ path, just outside of the cave enterance on the grand reef side. Tis a massive block of glass and bulkheads, and it has a meagre attempt at a tunnel that the sea treaders can go under. It’s not yet finished, though
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members

Yeah I know.

What if the center of the game coordinates doesn't align with the center of the map?
    edited August 2018
    this is a good point thank you, so where is there a safe and plentiful place?
    If you're not building big, it doesn't really matter where you build - you don't need that much resources to win the game.

If you're building big, then you don't really need any exotic resources. What you do need is titanium and quartz in bulk (as in, multiple floor lockers of each). Settling anywhere at/near the Grassy Plains and building a Scanner Room will supply you with plenty of both. Any other resource you can obtain enough with a single trip if you know where to look.
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »

Yeah I know.

What if the center of the game coordinates doesn't align with the center of the map?

Shhhhhhhh