New Arctic Expansion - The Vesper

2»

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited June 2018
    jehrek wrote: »
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Fellow space cadets might be interested in the Wikipedia article on this tech: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

The thrust of the article is:
    • The physicists say it's all quite do-able, but just the slacker chemists still need to invent a building material strong enough under tension (Kevlar is tough enough for a Lunar tether though)
    • The construction of the first one - very dangerous and expensive. The idea is that you get a geosynchronous satelite to extend two cables simultaneously - one towards the Earth and one away from it - so that the structure's centre of gravity stays constant. All the time compensations need to be made for mad high altitude winds etc. Eventually one hits the ground and then materials can travel up that cable like rail-freight.
    • After all that it's much easier and cheaper to build lots more of em - making rocket launches largely obsolete
    • The payoff is an estimated 95% cost saving for getting more space junk into orbit. If you consider a setup powered by obital solar collectors this sounds about right - there's no longer any need to spend fuel to get fuel carrying vehicles aloft.
    • Travel-time up into geosynchronous orbit (around 36,000 km) would be measured in days
    • The greatest predicted maintainence challenge is moving the cable around to dodge space junk (lol). Hence it's likely that a space elevator would terminate planetside at a movable floating platform. So I guess planet 4546B would come in handy there. But since it has to be built at the equator I'm puzzled how this would tie into an Arctic expansion.

wb7zwlfvdrhj.png

So after reading the article, there was no explanation as to why the elevator needed to be built on the equator or a planet. I would imagine the same concept would apply to a polar elevator, but adding a mechanism to counter or adapt to the orbital spin of the planet, such as having the mooring be held in a magnetic enclosure, providing the tethering of the elevator without transferring the planetary rotation along the cable.

We have to have the satellite itself orbiting the equator, as otherwise it wouldn't be stable. (Trying to orbit the North pole would be problematic, since pesky gravity would say the center of the earth is South of us, and vice versa.)

If we tried tethering at a pole but having the satellite orbit the equator, the tether would throw off the orbit.

Edit: I re-wrote this reply may times, so please excuse that it has already been explained. :)
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Just to be really out there:

Why not have a pod/station that can transfer momentum to an additional dimensions and then harvest it... Kind of like a giant flywheel or spring.

So you'd have a pod with apparent anti-gravity - but only very temporarily - capable of landing briefly before rising to *almost* its original height and location? The vesper (original location) would then add energy to the pod.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited June 2018
    Hey @Avimimus, not quite sure what you're getting at. Do you mean releasing a large mass from the top of the space elevator into higher orbit, but using this to hoist up a smaller, connected, freight pod that is lower down the elevator? Can you elaborate?
  • seubmarineseubmarine Join Date: 2018-06-25 Member: 241694Members
    Where's the artic DLC take place ? I mean, on the pole or somewhere near the equator of 4546B?
    Some of it at least confirmed as Arctic. Just trying to figure out how that could link up with the space elevator idea leaked by a developer.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Yeah that's it @Maalteromm. I should have better used the term geostationary orbit rather than geosynchronous
    I stand corrected. We meant geosynchronous equatorial orbit (rotating cyclonically).
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Just to be really out there:

Why not have a pod/station that can transfer momentum to an additional dimensions and then harvest it... Kind of like a giant flywheel or spring.

So you'd have a pod with apparent anti-gravity - but only very temporarily - capable of landing briefly before rising to *almost* its original height and location? The vesper (original location) would then add energy to the pod.
    This reminds me of "The Gods Themselves" by Asimov. Given current knowledge, it does sound more like magic than science though. It might be possible, who knows.
  • seubmarineseubmarine Join Date: 2018-06-25 Member: 241694Members
    If it's in artic we could use a ring around the planet ? But that's to much ressource only for research purpose so the game won't be located in artic
    seubmarine wrote: »
    If it's in artic we could use a ring around the planet ? But that's to much ressource only for research purpose so the game won't be located in artic

I think so, definitely overkill.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    If the Vesper is right over the pole of the planet, it could also be using some sort of power to stay in place and/or move when it needs to. It doesn't necessarily have to use same model we know of now for how a space elevator works. Kind of like how an oil-drilling platform keeps its position using its own engine power.

Basically would could just say it's ~space magic~ or something, but talking about it is fun. :3
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    If the Vesper is right over the pole of the planet, it could also be using some sort of power to stay in place and/or move when it needs to. It doesn't necessarily have to use same model we know of now for how a space elevator works. Kind of like how an oil-drilling platform keeps its position using its own engine power.

Basically would could just say it's ~space magic~ or something, but talking about it is fun. :3

Then you follow @Kouji_San comment on continuously using power to maintain it's position. Kind of a waste.
    Maybe it's on a regular orbit and it justs lands and take off, like a normal spacecraft.
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    Maybe it's on a regular orbit and it justs lands and take off, like a normal spacecraft.

Maybe just lowers its cable when it passes over the player's polar station?
    I don't think so.

The cable would need some sort of navigation system to land in the right spot. Then it would need to have some sort of secondary stations to reel in softly and avoid tensioning the entire cable all at once (the relative velocity between a low orbit station and the ground is way to fast). These secondary stations would need some way to reduce their speed relatively to the ground and some way to tension their share of cable (probably propulsion).

It would be complicated and resource intensive. Maybe with the cable attaching to a rocket mid flight.
    Just let me give this expired equine one final blow ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_(structure)

Just let me give this expired equine one final blow ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_(structure)
    I wasn't aware that was a thing. But it should work as I suggested, fishing the rocket mid flight.
    I think it was mentioned in passing
    For those who still cherish the dream …

fqfy8gya6wze.jpg
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Sadly, I don't think that the "space elevator" will ever be implemented in the Artic DLC. Although the rocket idea is more realistic, it would of been cool to ride on a giant elevator into space.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    edited October 2018
    Okay, currently, the Vesper won't be a base for the player, but for Alterra. The player will find Precursor information/technology and will send them to the Vesper on a rocket. The Vesper will send loot drops down, which will give the player resources needed to survive.
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    the space elevator was cool but i also like the rocket7pb84xt6z3gy.jpg
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

FTFY
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

FTFY

Is that the concept they're using then?
    edited October 2018
    Okay, currently, the Vesper won't be a base for the player, but for Alterra. The player will find Precursor information/technology and will send them to the Vesper on a rocket. The Vesper will send loot drops down, which will give the player resources needed to survive.

I'm wondering if this is the only playstyle planned for? Since, in Subnautica, the devs spoofed multinationals so well with Alterra, I'm hoping the game will give you the option of either working with or against company (replay value etc.)

@VectorMaster22 any info on that angle yet?
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

I'm wondering if this is the only playstyle planned for? Since, in Subnautica, the devs spoofed multinationals so well with Alterra, I'm hoping the game will give you the option of either working with or against company (replay value etc.)

@VectorMaster22 any info on that angle yet?

From reading dialogue, you can learn that the VESPER will apparently hold the player's brother. At least that's what I interpreted from it.
    edited October 2018

I'm wondering if this is the only playstyle planned for? Since, in Subnautica, the devs spoofed multinationals so well with Alterra, I'm hoping the game will give you the option of either working with or against company (replay value etc.) @VectorMaster22 any info on that angle yet?
    Not really, @BlueBottle . The Devs are pretty good at hiding story spoilers on the internet, let alone the Trello. What we do know is that the protagonist will be a zoologist, tasked with investigating/researching the planet, when something goes wrong (current spoilers show that a co-worker named Jeffery goes missing), so the player is forced into the water, and that gameplay will be around 10+ hours.
    edited October 2018
    From reading dialogue, you can learn that the VESPER will apparently hold the player's brother. At least that's what I interpreted from it.
    Of the 3 gameplay possibilities that come to mind, that makes option 2 seem the more likely:
    1. Alterra's toady
    2. Alterra's nemesis
    3. Player's choice of role
    What we do know is that the protagonist will be a zoologist, tasked with investigating/researching the planet, when something goes wrong (current spoilers show that a co-worker named Jeffery goes missing), so the player is forced into the water, and that gameplay will be around 10+ hours.
    Damn Jeffery, always slacking off somewhere!

But fingers crossed this will see a return of the bio-research mechanic that once seemed planned for the first game.
    Looking at the wiki I see that the Botanical Analysis Machine and the Specimen Analyzer were cut content. But, if I read it correctly, the Transfuser and Centrifuge are models from Below Zero (?)

https://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Transfuser
    https://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Centrifuge