Bad stuttering in game.

SirCweepysburghSirCweepysburgh Join Date: 2018-03-15 Member: 239074Members
I have very bad stuttering in-game, and this does not only happen in my base. https://youtu.be/zQgi7IrrPGI

Comments

• zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    I wonder if you're suffering from the invisible floaters bug?
    I also remember seeing one post about someone saying how tonnes of Stalker teeth were littered on the ground causing the game to lag.

Assuming that you aren't running any other applications that consume CPU or GPU processing power?
  • EccleZoneEccleZone Germany Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237105Members
    Same to me!
    Sometimes I think that stuttering depends on loading all the stored stuff from lockers, but I'm not sure.

@zontwitch What is 'the invisible floaters bug' ? I've never heard or read about it.
  • zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    EccleZone wrote: »
    @zontwitch What is 'the invisible floaters bug' ? I've never heard or read about it.

There are a few threads on this if you wish to investigate. https://forums.unknownworlds.com/search?Search=invisible+floaters
  • SirCweepysburghSirCweepysburgh Join Date: 2018-03-15 Member: 239074Members
    Idk, it seems to happen everywhere. That's the strange thing.
  • LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
    Maybe try clearing the cache. It will restore all of the resources in the world back to where they started.

It's kind of like cheating, but it really helps with lag.
    I have tried that, no luck.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    Does this happen in a new save as well?

And another thing to note is, are you experiencing any excessive HDD read access noises when it "hangs"? Subnautica wants to hog the HDD for loading and unloading the world it seems. Unless you're on a SSD, this might be a HDD issue as well :worried:
    Yes, it happens in every save, and happens on HDD and SSD.
  • MazzyMazzy Australia Join Date: 2018-03-11 Member: 238890Members
    edited May 2018
    I have the same stuttering issue as well, it happens everywhere and in all saves, i will try clearing the cache if someone would be kind enough to give me the instructions on how to do this that would be nice.

PS: I will only reset the cache if it does not restart the game from the beginning again.

Thank You. :)
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Clicky for cache clearing guide. Done correctly, clearing your cache will reset the world but preserve your base, subs, storage, blueprints, etc. Any places you previously collected a resource will be back, and doors you previously opened will probably be closed.

It's also a good idea to close background programs, like MSI Afterburner.

Finally, Subnautica sometimes doesn't like overclocked hardware; some have even recommended a slight underclock.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2018
    narfblat wrote: »

Finally, Subnautica sometimes doesn't like overclocked hardware; some have even recommended a slight underclock.

I had my memory timings set to tighter timings, Subnautica was basically the only application causing seemingly random hard crashes and CTD's. The rest of my rig is still overclocked and tested without any issues running verification benchmarks and folding, in comes Subnautica the stuttering party crasher :tongue: So if you're also messing with the timings, it might be an idea to test it running at default speeds. It resolved my constant random crashing...
    Clicky for cache clearing guide. Done correctly, clearing your cache will reset the world but preserve your base, subs, storage, blueprints, etc. Any places you previously collected a resource will be back, and doors you previously opened will probably be closed.

Thank you so much for the link. :) As for overclocking i would not know where to start and my brother who is in IT says my PC is more than capable of playing most any game out there at the moment.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Mazzy wrote: »

Thank you so much for the link. :) As for overclocking i would not know where to start and my brother who is in IT says my PC is more than capable of playing most any game out there at the moment.

No, overclocking doesn't help; I was saying if the other stuff doesn't help, that you may want to underclock.

Do you know where the nearest geysers are? Some players have reported lag when facing them, so check if the lag tends to happen when facing certain directions.
  • RecklessPancakeRecklessPancake Join Date: 2018-06-06 Member: 241189Members
    Something that I think helped me was set Subnautica.exe to High Priority in Task Manager. That tends to help things run smooth in my experience.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Just launched SN after some months away from playing it. Man, I am getting a lot of stuttering and lag. Noticed it first when you wake up in the crash pod, when the fire is raging. Almost unplayable. Extinguished the fire and smooth game play returned. Jumped into the sea and lag and stutters again. Have played SN for at least a year on this same PC with no proplems. Wondering if a latest released has done something to the graphics rendering. Shame :-(
  • NicoRaynorNicoRaynor United States Join Date: 2018-07-05 Member: 241950Members
    I've tried all the updated forms of cache clearing and the same stutter points are happening. Trying to return from the mushroom fields has the ENTIRE left-hand part of the screen stuttering horribly until you're within a couple hundred meters of the lifepod. The other way to have it not stutter is to aim the Seamoth at an upward angle away from the seafloor.

It's gotten to the point that I can't play without have to come up with really over the top methods of avoiding looking at spot A or direction B. Please fix this guys.
    Mazzy wrote: »

No, overclocking doesn't help; I was saying if the other stuff doesn't help, that you may want to underclock.

Do you know where the nearest geysers are? Some players have reported lag when facing them, so check if the lag tends to happen when facing certain directions.

Thank you for the help. :)

Okay my brother has now underclocked the video card. GTX 1070 G1
    He also has clipped 200Mhz from the CPU so it does not do its boost thing to 4.2ghz.
    The game files have been verified so that's all good.

I will see what happen with the geysers as i have not thought of that and i will get back to you.

Thank you :)
    Okay @narfblat that did not seem to help.

Still Stuttering

No where near any geysers as far as i know.
    Biome: Underwater Islands
    -411.8 -176.4 837.8

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited July 2018
    Could try reducing CPU cores (shut off hyperthreading? just be sure to re-enable it if it doesn't help!). I think that was a potential fix a long time ago, but I think it's been patched? Or maybe that turned out to not be a solution. Can't remember. Regardless, stuttering is a Subnautica problem, but it's mainly tied to disk I/O -- if you have an SSD, install it there (make a new Steam Library and move the game there).

If you don't have an SSD, you could try compressing the Subnautica game folders, as your CPU is powerful enough to handle decompressing, and you can get more I/O from compressed data (more data is stored in less physical space on the platters, meaning more can be passed through the read/write heads, meaning an increase in performance, unless the CPU bottlenecks because of the increased load due to the need for decompression of the data).

EDIT: Oh, and if it's a laptop, try setting power management profile to max performance instead of balanced or power saving mode.
  • NicoRaynorNicoRaynor United States Join Date: 2018-07-05 Member: 241950Members
    @ 0x6A7232

"but it's mainly tied to disk I/O" <- can you confirm this?

I've had a hard time pinning down what causes it, but I've managed to pick up a few things.

1. Almost without fail, the creation and use of the Cyclops causes stuttering when looking in certain directions and almost immediately.
    2. Stuttering seems dependent on item creation and removal. I could make a bioreactor and suddenly got stuttering when I looked down or in a certain direction. Removing the bioreactor made it stop. Placing the bioreactor in a different place within the base caused the stutter to return and the stutter would show up in a different place.
    3. I tried the "nocost" method, running the theory that if you're not collecting items it it doesn't record those items generated to the outdated log file. This WORKED...for a little bit longer. It took considerably longer for the stutter to begin happening, BUT it still came back after a certain point.
    4. The size of the base seems directly related to when and how the stutter manifests itself.
    5. Spotlights seem to increase the onset of the stuttering.
    6. Certain items seem to make the stutter occur automatically; the cyclops, the bioreactor, for instance. I will try using the thermal approach and see what happens there.
    No cost working for a time seems to indicate a problem with your cache folders having problems loading in time.. again pointing to disk I/O. Reason I said that was a cause is I (and practically everyone else) notices a pretty massive improvement in performance when switching to an SSD, and the Xbox has massive stuttering problems, and it is trapped using a 5400 RPM spinny disk (although you can use a USB 3.0 external SSD and will see pretty good improvement on that).

It's not the cause of ALL the stuttering, but it's definitely a cause of SOME (most likely a lot) of it.

If you want to try using a RAMDisk, that should work too (you'd need to copy at least your cache folders and \Build18 folders to the RAMDisk, move the originals to a temp location, map the RAMDisk folders to the old location using mklink /d, flush the modified files to the temp location on game exit. Next load, just copy the temp location to RAMDisk and map it out using mklink /d)

Keep in mind that's a lot of work and involves keeping track of where files actually are. RAMDisks are of course wiped if the system loses power or restarts (aka volatile), so don't put anything valuable (like non-cache files from the saved game folder) in there. If you're not sure if a file or folder is symlinked or an original file, use the dir command in that folder, or right-click and hit properties. You should also see a little shortcut arrow in Windows Explorer, and if you open Properties, a target location.

There's a GUI available for mklink available here.
    Hello and thank you for trying to help :) I have Subnautica installed on a samsung 500 SSD evo "not sure of the exact model will need to dig up the receipts" My other internal drive is a 2tb western digital black series that i use to store my backups and different software on.

I will ask my brother to turn off the (shut off hyperthreading? next time he is over.

Thanks again. :)
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Could try reducing CPU cores (shut off hyperthreading? just be sure to re-enable it if it doesn't help!). I think that was a potential fix a long time ago, but I think it's been patched? Or maybe that turned out to not be a solution. Can't remember. Regardless, stuttering is a Subnautica problem, but it's mainly tied to disk I/O -- if you have an SSD, install it there (make a new Steam Library and move the game there).

If you don't have an SSD, you could try compressing the Subnautica game folders, as your CPU is powerful enough to handle decompressing, and you can get more I/O from compressed data (more data is stored in less physical space on the platters, meaning more can be passed through the read/write heads, meaning an increase in performance, unless the CPU bottlenecks because of the increased load due to the need for decompression of the data).

EDIT: Oh, and if it's a laptop, try setting power management profile to max performance instead of balanced or power saving mode.

Nothing worked, Desktop i7 6700K, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 8gig, 500meg samsung ssd, 32gig ram details from my tax invoice. And have tried several resolutions all the way up to my max 2560 X 1440 have tried vsync 2 60fps, my brother said plain and simply put the game needs to be patched.

Anyway thank you so much for trying to help me i really do appreciate it. :)

Also for what it is worth i have gifted this game to 4 people they love it and 3 have better PC's than i do but all have the same frustrating issues.

• elygionelygion Nashville Join Date: 2018-08-26 Member: 243051Members
    I’m running into a similar issue. Tried posting on steam but no one seemed to respond. Coming on here and see I’m not the only one...glad it’s not me.

I've been running the game on medium and have been getting 60-75 FPS. But I often get this strange jerky stuttering. According to Fraps, during these jerky moments my frame rate doesn't really drop much...maybe to 50. I doesn't seem like a frame issue and at first I thought my mouse battery was running low. Anyone know what this could be?

This is the comp I am using.
    Dell - G7 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 128GB Solid State Drive + 1TB
  • TracpepaperTracpepaper United States Join Date: 2018-08-26 Member: 243054Members
    Hi all, not sure if I can report the same trouble on my x box one, but I have been playing for 2 weeks now, and keep experiencing large black squares blinking in and out of existence, blocking my view, and massive delays on the landscape generating. Ill be in a cave desperate to swim to my exit beacon, but cant make progress because Im hung up on not yet generated sea wall or some such.
    If possible, run from the SSD. If not... get a bigger SSD? XD It helps a lot (until they finish optimization). Also, you might try running higher quality, just to be sure it doesn't run smoother (some people have that happen, oddly enough, and the 1060 isn't a slouch, so...)