Invalid platform on Windows 7 - 32 Bit

XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
edited March 2018 in Technical Support
Hi,

I get this message when trying to run NS2

An error occured while playing Natural Selection 2 : (invalid platform)

Here is what I did :

- Verify Game cache > Same problem
- Deleted NS2 File > Same problem (lol now the game is uninstalled and can't download it again)
- reinstalling steam > Same problem

My config
Windows 7 32 Bit
Core 2 Duo 8500
4Gb RAM
ATI HD 6850

I can't understand this message... is NS2 for 64 bits only now maybe ?

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Xale wrote: »
    is NS2 for 64 bits only now maybe ?

Yep. I think there was an update that converted it over to 64bit, Steam Store page now reflects that.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Obraxis guess i'll have to upgrade my toaster to 64bit,
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    I finally bought a descent Video gamecard and now I need to upgrade my windows...

I bought NS2 years ago and I've never been able to play it... It was supposed to be playable on a 1 Ghz and 256 Ram system...

Anyway thanks for the answers...
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    It was supposed to be playable on a 1 Ghz and 256 Ram system...
    There is always a time when everyone learns that the "minimum requirements" of any game just means you can somehow start it... but that doesn't mean it feels good or is somewhat decently playable
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2018
    Those aren't even the minimum requirements. I remember the minimum requirements way back in the same as they are now, except now 32bit and Windows XP are no longer supported. His computer would run NS2 if he had 64 bit Windows.
    Steam wrote:
    Processor:Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.66 GHz) or better
    Memory:4 GB RAM
    Graphics:DirectX 9 compatible dedicated video card with 1 GB VRAM and support for Shader Model 3 (e.g. AMD X800, NVidia 8600 or better)
    DirectX®:9.0
    Hard Drive:12 GB HD space
    Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

Nordic wrote: »
    Those aren't even the minimum requirements.

Your not old enough :)

This was the first minimum requirement when NS3.1 was popular and NS2 begans to be announced, just after Flayra thanking the community for the constellation program, otherwise he couldn't afford the rent of his appartement :D
    Otherwise I admit it runs flawlessly on 64 bit..!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

This was the first minimum requirement when NS3.1 was popular and NS2 begans to be announced, just after Flayra thanking the community for the constellation program, otherwise he couldn't afford the rent of his appartement :D

Are you saying that NS2 was supposed to have the same system requirements as NS1? Because 1 Ghz and 256 Ram system sounds like NS1.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    edited April 2018

Are you saying that NS2 was supposed to have the same system requirements as NS1? Because 1 Ghz and 256 Ram system sounds like NS1.

Yes.

Edit - Actually, what were NS1 requirements anyway? I remember that I couldn't run some of the newer maps on NS1 because my laptop was too crap.
    Aeglos wrote: »

Yes.

Edit - Actually, what were NS1 requirements anyway? I remember that I couldn't run some of the newer maps on NS1 because my laptop was too crap.

Basically NS1 requirement should be the same as Half-Life 1. In real life, NS1 maps where often near the enity limit. By my exprience I'm remember having some trouble because using AGP4X card on AGP 2X = This limit the memory frequency which is used by entities - basically my game was fast when no player and structure. But just add some players & structures and the game dropped :D . So I'd say :

- Pentium III - 500 Mhz
    - 128 Mb RAM
    - Geforce 2 (~About 200Mhz Core + 200Mhz Memory)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    Aeglos wrote: »

Yes.

IRC...

HL Minimum (640x480)
    • Intel Pentium 133Mhz
    • 24Mb EDO RAM
    • Matrox Millennium 2 8Mb PCI (Software mode)
    • Soundlblaster 16bits compatible or higher sound device
    • Windows 98

HL Recommended (800x600)
    • Intel Pentium MMX 200Mhz
    • 32Mb EDO RAM
    • Diamond Monster 3D II 3dfx Voodoo2 8MB PCI (Direct3D)
    • Aureal Vortex A3D for real hardware accelerated 3D positioning!!!
    • Windows 98SE/2000/XP

NS Recommended (800x600)
    • Intel Pentium II or AMD K6-III @ 350/400Mhz
    • 48Mb EDO/SD RAM PC100
    • Geforce 2 series/ATi Radeon 7000series
    • Windows 98SE/2000/XP

NS at fullHD (1920x1080)
    • Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 800Mhz VS AMD K7 Athlon Thunderbird 600/700Mhz
    • 128Mb SDRAM 133Mhz, AMD has "double pumped FSB " @ 200MT/s (DDR)
    • Geforce 2 series/ATi Radeon 7000series
    • Windows 2000/XP

Nostalgia trip :D

And... Here's the kicker...

NS2 requirement prediction, pre-release/announcement before HL2TR and the dynamic infestation teaser on the Source Engine:
    <h1>CPU @ 1.2Ghz, 256Mb memory and 256Mb video memory 39.gif
    </h1>
    edited April 2018
    I bought NS2 beta from that page too. UWE has always seemed to be a bit on the over optimistic side. But they were using source then, so NS2 could have had about the same performance as CSGO maybe.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Those aren't even the minimum requirements. I remember the minimum requirements way back in the same as they are now, except now 32bit and Windows XP are no longer supported. His computer would run NS2 if he had 64 bit Windows.
    Steam wrote:
    Processor:Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.66 GHz) or better
    Memory:4 GB RAM
    Graphics:DirectX 9 compatible dedicated video card with 1 GB VRAM and support for Shader Model 3 (e.g. AMD X800, NVidia 8600 or better)
    DirectX®:9.0
    Hard Drive:12 GB HD space
    Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection
    I bought NS2 beta from that page too. UWE has always seemed to be a bit on the over optimistic side. But they were using source then, so NS2 could have had about the same performance as CSGO maybe.

:trollface:
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    So you bought a "descent'" videocard for your "descent" 10 years old Core 2 Duo 8500?
    Well, that was waste of money in my eyes.

You wont get any real playable fps with that cpu cause ns2 is cpu bound. GPU is not real important.
    dePARA wrote: »
    So you bought a "descent'" videocard for your "descent" 10 years old Core 2 Duo 8500?

You wont get any real playable fps with that cpu cause ns2 is cpu bound. GPU is not real important.

Well sorry to disapoint you but it runs ok in the end :)
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer

I thought so too, but if you play with 144hz then the strain on the GPU should not be underestimated... (especially since the GPU Prices are so high due to bitcoinmining) - buying a gpu which is to cheap will hurt you as well :-)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    True, but you can't expect 144FPS with a C2D E8500 in any case, not even with the biggest and baddest 3x GTX1080ti. So if he got a let's say GTX1060 or similar, that beast would never get utilized on his rig. It's basically a waste of money, unless he's going to upgrade the rest of the rig at some point...

Heck for video encoding, I'm even running into CPU & BUS bandwidth bottlenecks to some extent with my new GTX 1080 on a bloody 2500K @ 4.4-4.9Ghz (depending on weather :D ). His CPU bottleneck would be exponentially worse on a C2D E8500. @dePARA's point is a valid one. Upgrading one part is not going to do much if the rest cannot keep up, you might see some improvements. But you'll eventually run into that wall of diminishing returns if the GPU in this case, constantly has to wait on the rest of the rig to get shit done, so to speak :tongue: Playable FPS is still a personal thing though, some people feel that ~30FPS is "playable", I'm pretty sure he can at the very least get up to that point. Not so sure about mid to end game though. C2D, even the one before last generation, is still a very old CPU with quite a lack of the innovations from the successor generation of "iCores"
    edited April 2018
    Handschuh wrote: »

I thought so too, but if you play with 144hz then the strain on the GPU should not be underestimated... (especially since the GPU Prices are so high due to bitcoinmining) - buying a gpu which is to cheap will hurt you as well :-)
    With my 4790k, I have a 1060 3gb gpu. With this same cpu I have played NS2 with a GTX 1060 3gb, GTX 970, GTX 750ti, GTX 560ti, GTX 9800gt, AMD 7970, AMD 7930, AMD 6950, Intel 4000, and Intel 2000.

With a 4790k, the 750 ti or 560ti seem to be the lower range of what I can play with before I become gpu bound. Anything better and I am cpu bound most if not all of the game. A 750ti or 560ti are not all that powerful of GPU's anymore.

I am also trying to play at 121fps.