Update 322 Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Crazy thought. If you revert the change, people can choose if they want to use the movement key or the weapon slot and it requires no options in NS2+!

That doesn't fix the issue of people switching to metabolize accidentally and you know that.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If someone is unable to learn that by pressing a weapon key he is switching to a different weapon, he is beyond help.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    If someone is unable to learn that by pressing a weapon key he is switching to a different weapon, he is beyond help.

I am beyond help!
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I can see why metab with shift is annoying. I think it is very uncomfortable to continuously press shift with your pinky, which is why metab is on my thumb button on my mouse :tongue:
    That's a good idea, but I already have my thumb button bound to crouch for fading and skulking. Even if I rebound, I'd have to constantly press the thumb button to trigger metab instead of just holding down LMB after weapon switching. If holding down the MovementModifier key triggered metab automatically when available, I would most likely use it over weapon switch + LMB. I'm used to weapon switching often between metab and swipe, but it can suffer from fat fingering occasionally.
    Nominous wrote: »
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I can see why metab with shift is annoying. I think it is very uncomfortable to continuously press shift with your pinky, which is why metab is on my thumb button on my mouse :tongue:
    That's a good idea, but I already have my thumb button bound to crouch for fading and skulking. Even if I rebound, I'd have to constantly press the thumb button to trigger metab instead of just holding down LMB after weapon switching. If holding down the MovementModifier key triggered metab automatically when available, I would most likely use it over weapon switch + LMB. I'm used to weapon switching often between metab and swipe, but it can suffer from fat fingering occasionally.

It's been confirmed that you should be able to hold shift down to continuously metab. The current behaviour is a bug.
  • LemonSodaLemonSoda Finland Join Date: 2014-12-13 Member: 200036Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    The NS2+ option works nicely, almost as good as before. However, after evolving with fade the quick switch (last weapon used key) does not remember meta and meta needs to be selected again manually once before quick switch works again.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Is this once you have stab researched or generally? By default quickswitch will swap between your currently selected and the last upgrade. Many accidental xenocides happened that way
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited April 2018

Honestly, I'm fine as long as it's on ns2+
  • LemonSodaLemonSoda Finland Join Date: 2014-12-13 Member: 200036Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2018
    Yep, good enough. :D

(Mephilles: it happens regardless of stab upgrade, so always after evolving: e.g after taking shell upgrade, but it's not that big of a problem. Just need to select meta again. After a general upgrade like xeno and stab it forces to that like you said.)

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited April 2018

If one is unable to press shift to metabolize instead of a more complex keypattern, then one is a moron!

(that's not my opinion, just playing the argument :P i hope you see the problem with it)
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    .trixX. wrote: »

If one is unable to press shift to metabolize instead of a more complex keypattern, then one is a moron!

(that's not my opinion, just playing the argument :P i hope you see the problem with it)

That is a bit different. Everyone is able to press shift, but some people don't want to.

I am not saying people should learn to use the weapon slot for meta. I am saying you should not remove control options from the game only because you think some people are unable to learn the controls.

You cannot "accidently" switch to meta on the weapon slot. You have to press the key for it.
    You could accidentally switch to it using the scroll wheel.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited April 2018
    Nintendows wrote: »
    You could accidentally switch to it using the scroll wheel.
    This is true of any ability adjacent to another ability that's selected via an input control as highly variable as mouse scroll wheels are (e.g., some have detents, others don't; some glide, others don't; some overtrack, others don't, etc.). It's not really an argument for changing the ways players can access metabolize in the first place.

If the issue people really have is somehow organizational and semantic, where what they're really reacting to is the idea of non-weapons taking up "weapon slots", then I suggest the following, highly persuasive technique: call it an ability slot instead. And what about umbra, using that logic?

And, anyway, if I'm some hypothetical fade player and I've become deeply reliant on weapon selection via the mouse wheel, then - in the rare event that stab is researched - I'd rather accidentally switch to metabolize than stab anyway (because stab is an ill-conceived ability that makes the fade extra vulnerable via a long windup animation that can't be cancelled).
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Lerk poison DOT seems to be bugged with this patch. Doesnt work at all as far as I can tell.
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited April 2018
    @skav2 I checked and I got now a fix for that issue. It will need to be double checked and tested but should be fixed in vanilla soon.
    Mod fixing the issue if you want to try on a local server: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359543012
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Wow that was quick! Thank you!
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh! Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    Nice to see the game still kicking but how I miss and love the old school ns so much better. Keep up the good job community!
    Nice to see the game still kicking but how I miss and love the old school ns so much better. Keep up the good job community!

You can still play ns1. Someone has been keeping it somewhat updated...
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited May 2018

https://discord.gg/ZUSSBUA
    This is what you need to play ns1 once again! Everything you need to know how to play / what version / installation /configs can you find in there.
    Someone even made a 16:9 widescreen patch... so it doesn't get stretched. (16:9 is max due to balancereasons)
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Nintendows wrote: »
    That doesn't fix the issue of people switching to metabolize accidentally and you know that.

I'm still interested in that ticket about making all actions (of lifeforms and commanders) bindable to specific keys.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hi,

Besides all the bugs and stuff what I'm more concerned with is the changes always look like they favor the marines. I'm fed up with this. I got 2 games tonight as alien. I hated it. It's a first for me.

Marines are painting walls with skulk blood. It reminds me of an old version that got better with performances. If performances got better and registering bullets got better along the way -> niiiice. Thank you. Really. But just don't forget the Kharraas. The skulk feels like a brick again as the marines kill faster than usual.

Symptoms: Woozaa server was dead far sooner than usual. Really impressive.

We'll see where it's going. But so far Alien = loose.

So, for once could the devs have an approach from the kharras point of view. Kharras always felt like the got the left overs. The lack of real efficient upgrade to make it happen for real. We have many examples, like cloaking in the early days, silence (not 100%), and so on.

Nerfing over and over had an effect.
    This led to games that all veteran players know they will win or loose before it happens only by looking at the map in the end of the early game.
    This brought the instant death with gorge tunnel syndrome. Or it brought the early Lerk patrol of death tactic. etc...

The problem never was those abilities, but the stupidity of people never looking behind. It still is a reality as the gorge tunnel helped the Kharras for a long time.

Now the tunnel is useless (the building time is a clear intent). Silence is removed (I heard it was blasphemy), Camouflage is camouflage so when you move, it's worst because you get spotted more easily.

The abilitie(s) that were useful are removed (silence, early lerk)
    The abilities that got changed are still useless (Camo).
    And because the marines kills better/faster (maybe because of performance improvement) those like focus become more difficult to use if not useless. Ex Focus; If you can't get close you can't bite...

I wonder what's left. If I were the dev I would quadruple the base speed of the skulk for starters. Now more than ever.

Again we'll see where it's going. But it looks worst than a week end sale on Steam. And i feel really sorry about that.

PS: Joke; Make Kharaas great again!

• StupidStupid Join Date: 2018-06-03 Member: 241104Members
    Frozen wrote: »
    The NS2+ option is broken, clearly untested, or even tried in game. Every time you switch it goes back and forth between the current and previous weapon. Quickswitch also affected. So no, the feedback days before the change went live were not why it was made sooner than later @IeptBarakat

I started working on the ns2+ option 5 days ago but did run into technical issues while trying to resolve the issue you describe. Due to a lack of free time I haven't been able to resolve the issue that the prediction world is not aware of the client's ns2+ options and there is currently almost no way of propagating values from the client world into the prediction world.

In the end I decided to push the half finished change and mention the issues in the changelog so players who rely on switching to metabolize using the weapons slots can still do so while i try to fix the issue in my free time over the weekend.

Thanks for your time... I hope it is rewarded well.