Poor Slippy and how he never recovered

ZuluCalmZuluCalm United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-03-06 Member: 238666Members
I've been obsessed with this game since loading it, racking up around 100 hours in the first two weeks of play. I entered the Shroom caves with my first Seamoth named Slippy, we got knocked about and Slippy exploded. When I went back to an old Save, which was from when Slippy and I had just entered the caves he behaved very strangely, eventually just spinning round in circles. I checked him for bloaters, but no bloaters, I checked him for lack of battery, but power is good, I climbed in and tried to regain control of him to no avail and now Slippy just spins endlessly in circles as he does here.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Zulu Calm/video/46139822

So Slippy 2 was created but he was crushed by a Reaper within two hours of having him. I'd gone to a volcano to grab some Magnitite and was returning to Slippy 2 when with horror I saw the Reaper pick him up like a Brazil nut and crack him open, with bits flying everywhere. It was a tragedy of epic proportions.

And so it is that I now ply the deep with Slippy 3 and while we've had some close shaves, he has survived.

But I would love to stop Slippy 1 endlessly spinning with his lights on and there appears no way to do so.

The Shroom caves still appear to be a bizarre place to go as the rendering of scenery takes so long you can be amongst a forest of stalacmites and not even know it because they hadn't rendered before you got to them. The scenery here renders so slowly that it's utterly bizarre moving around this Biodome.

Comments

• zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    What would happen if you tried to nudge / move Slippy with either your body or another vehicle, does it keep spinning?

Or what if you parked a Cyclops over top of the Seamoth so that the docking back was directly above the Seamoth, then enter the Seamoth so that the docking bay doors open and pick up the Seamoth to dock it?
  • ZuluCalmZuluCalm United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-03-06 Member: 238666Members
    zontwitch wrote: »
    What would happen if you tried to nudge / move Slippy with either your body or another vehicle, does it keep spinning?

Or what if you parked a Cyclops over top of the Seamoth so that the docking back was directly above the Seamoth, then enter the Seamoth so that the docking bay doors open and pick up the Seamoth to dock it?

You have a very good point there. I tried to use that gun thing that freezes things and it does stop him spinning but as soon as it wore off he started spinning again. I also tried to use the other gun to drag him back to my base but he's too heavy. I've jumped inside him a few times as well.

The weird thing is he never runs out of power even with his lights on.

He's also a sort of landmark now because he's near a place with a good amount of metal to pick up so hes does have a use. I'd love to have him back in full service though.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Don't think the Cyclops trick is going to work; if he's down in the Jellyshroom caves there's no way to get a boat that size down there.

If Slippy is right under the entrance shaft, you could try nailing a few floaters to him and seeing if you can nudge him up to Cyclops range.

If not...well, that's a weird one. Try pulling Slippy's power cell and getting in. If he's still spinning, then it's a render/software problem. Maybe @0x6A7232 has an idea.
    I tested pushing my Seamoth using both my Prawn as well as just my diving suit and was able to move the Seamoth using either method; though when I was pushing with my Prawn I caused significant damage to my Seamoth. Unless something is tethering the Seamoth to the ground then you should be able to slowly move it out of the Jellyshroom Caverns. I even dumped my Seamoth down there and was able to get it out by slowly pushing it with my body.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I tested pushing my Seamoth using both my Prawn as well as just my diving suit and was able to move the Seamoth using either method; though when I was pushing with my Prawn I caused significant damage to my Seamoth. Unless something is tethering the Seamoth to the ground then you should be able to slowly move it out of the Jellyshroom Caverns. I even dumped my Seamoth down there and was able to get it out by slowly pushing it with my body.

Sounds like it would take tons of patience, but it should do the job!

...and I think I have the tie @zontwitch is wearing. Jerry Garcia?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I wonder if there's a fish stuck inside the Seamoth model. Maybe hit it with a Repulsion Cannon or (safer) snag a few times with the Propulsion Cannon to try and grab whatever's in there, or reset whatever's causing the spin. Could try resetting the CellsCache, especially if it's a fish stuck in there. Try emptying the Storage and all upgrades (but put the depth right back in).

Managed to get him out of the Shroom forest, which was very difficult and at the time he was just always lolling to one side. He's now quite close to the Aurora just above those underwater sand spits. This is where he went into full spin mode.

Great idea with regards to the power unit though. I stripped out hos upgraded to put them in Slippy 3 so it is possible to do 'maintenance on him'.

Pushing is a good way to go but as you suggest slightly risky in that he might get destroyed.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a fish stuck inside the Seamoth model. Maybe hit it with a Repulsion Cannon or (safer) snag a few times with the Propulsion Cannon to try and grab whatever's in there, or reset whatever's causing the spin. Could try resetting the CellsCache, especially if it's a fish stuck in there. Try emptying the Storage and all upgrades (but put the depth right back in).

I thought it might be a Floater so looked carefully for them but as you say maybe it's a fish. Heck I have them swimming around my base through the air so maybe there's one somewhere in Slippy. Checked upgrades and storage but will have another look.
    I have an idea but you should save before trying it because my idea may just cause your Seamoth to explode.

Here is my thought...

Find a Gasopod and get it to spawn those yellow balls. Before they explode try to collect as many as you can. You may only collect 1 or 2 at a time, repeat as necessary until you have several.

Now go to where Slippy is and release the yellow balls on and around Slippy to kill off any living creatures in/on Slippy.

That should hopefully eliminate the floater or fish theory out of the equation.
    edited March 2018
    I have an idea but you should save before trying it because my idea may just cause your Seamoth to explode.

Here is my thought...

Find a Gasopod and get it to spawn those yellow balls. Before they explode try to collect as many as you can. You may only collect 1 or 2 at a time, repeat as necessary until you have several.

Now go to where Slippy is and release the yellow balls on and around Slippy to kill off any living creatures in/on Slippy.

Lol, that is an awesome project and I'll try it. :)

Here is my thought...

Nice plan, @zontwitch.

Just bear in mind that if the problem is a fish model stuck inside the Seamoth's geometry, then it'll just become a dead fish model stuck in there. So it may not cure the problem right away, but as soon as the corpse despawns, if that was the problem, Slippy should stop playing tornado. :)

#SaveSlippy
  • LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
    Try going into the save files and delete all of the batch files. It helps a LOT of bugs, including lag.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Just grab soap
    Soap up the cyclops and it should fit into the Jellyshroom caves