[Bug] Extreme building lag when finishing a component. [59783]

2»

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Dreadlord wrote: »
    Quigster wrote: »
    The update fixed it for me...for the most part. Still a slight lag at the end of constuction, or before starting destruction of a piece, but much better.

This is happening because the base mechanics load the interior as a separate model. This is how they're all connecting. This creates lag on lower end PCs due to the swap of models, which can lag like hell on PCs with a lower end graphics card and CPU.

As for fixes, I cannot help.

Well if that was the case I wouldn't really have any issues. I have a strong pc that should not have any issues with running this game at all.
    Also if you read my original post you would see that I have no issues what so ever with anything except when I construct or deconstruct something.

pc specs:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7800X CPU @ 3.50GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
    Memory: 32768MB RAM
    gfx Chip type: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

It could just happen to most people then. Maybe there's a file I'm not seeing that's causing this, but the basic idea is its swapping base models.
  • distinydistiny Join Date: 2018-03-14 Member: 239061Members
    I have the exact same problem but on my xbox one.
    Every time I finish a piece of mt base it freezes for a few seconds
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    distiny wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem but on my xbox one.
    Every time I finish a piece of mt base it freezes for a few seconds

This should be improved a bit in the next patch.
  • paladdinpaladdin Join Date: 2018-05-02 Member: 240470Members
    Hio
    I also got the building issue on the pc version. my base is really big and atm i cant build anymore cause of extreme lags when i want to place something :(
    When i want to place a foundation ill get a freeze for minutes before it shows up and than i can barly place it cause the frames drop down to 1

hope u guys get a solution for it soon :blush:

Greez
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @paladdin the patch that was supposed to improve this has already been released, what patch version does it say you have?
    narfblat wrote: »
    @paladdin the patch that was supposed to improve this has already been released, what patch version does it say you have?

April 2018 - 60026
    latest one

still cant build without a half minute lag when i select a foundation

Greez
  • MikeroNFMikeroNF nf Join Date: 2018-06-03 Member: 241112Members
    I am on the latest 'beta' release as of this posting (and update 85 etc) and this showstopping bug still exists.

surely to god it can't be difficult to code a pointer inside every object to point to a structure of the base it belongs to. And inside that structure a value for the current armor value of the base overall? Instead of sampling every object in that base to recalculate it, you just +- the current value.

I love this game, The last thing I want to do is get on the rocket ship and leave. Your wiki encourages people to find out what each unknown egg breeds, so I've spent hours and hours of enjoyment scavenging for metal and lithium and quartz, stumbling into areas I never knew existed to build a large enough base to hold them all.

Now, sadly, this showstopper puts me on the rocket ship from no fault of mine.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited June 2018
    MikeroNF wrote: »
    I am on the latest 'beta' release as of this posting (and update 85 etc) and this showstopping bug still exists.

surely to god it can't be difficult to code a pointer inside every object to point to a structure of the base it belongs to. And inside that structure a value for the current armor value of the base overall? Instead of sampling every object in that base to recalculate it, you just +- the current value...

This seems more a graphical redraw than recalculating the base's hull integrity. Otherwise it should take more resources than are available on-planet before there is much difference.

Until they fix it, you just have to have your base in pieces. Start the next base where it no longer snaps to the same grid, then build off either base until hatches will be close together. You will need to power them separately, but bases that are only for storage/aquariums shouldn't need much.
    why on earth the entire base has to be redrawn defies logic. (Based on earlier comments that the entire base gets destroyed and rebuilt).

Also ladders cause this glitch and yet they don't alter armor value one bit, so you're right about this.

As for separate bases, yes. But I think any sane person would prefer to keep their nuke reactors all in one spot, to stop racing all over the map refilling them. So come on people, this is a serious showstopper and fixing it can't be _that_ hard.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    @MikeroNF Just how big is your base that you need multiple nuclear reactors to run it, and that you use so much power you need to refill them all the time? o.O

I've had multiple games where I've hatched every kind of egg and I only needed a small off-shoot of my main base to do it. I just make a stack of MPR's, maybe 5 of them, then build aquariums in them all. Boom, done.

I've never run into this issue, but maybe I'm just not that ambitious when it comes to base-building.
    edited June 2018
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    @MikeroNF Just how big is your base that you need multiple nuclear reactors to run it, and that you use so much power you need to refill them all the time? o.O

I've had multiple games where I've hatched every kind of egg and I only needed a small off-shoot of my main base to do it. I just make a stack of MPR's, maybe 5 of them, then build aquariums in them all. Boom, done.

I've never run into this issue, but maybe I'm just not that ambitious when it comes to base-building.

My base goes down to the 3000 meter "end of the world" and on the surface from the start point to the other side of the island near the aurora ! :smiley:
    completly connected to each other so it takes really loooong to walk down there from ur starting point ^^
    And its not done yet but on hold cause the massiv buildlag problem :neutral:

Greez
    similar to me i built a corridor from the safe zone down to degasi's JellyShroom forest, and then on to degasi's island. With the occasional mp room to grow food/water, or a scanner. All powered by nuke reactors in the safe zone. It was when I then commenced a corridor over to the quarantine station that I hit the lag wall. And before any one says why bother, the time taken for construction was deeply satisfying and the several small satellite bases in the Jelly Shroom caves are beautiful and engaging is why. If the precursors can build there massive buildings with connected corridors (that look like armor plated power cables), then there's no reason why I can't too.
  • LöwenzahnLöwenzahn Germany Join Date: 2020-09-23 Member: 264157Members
    Sry for digging this topic out but can someone tell me if the fix is still only on experimental? I am up to 14secs freeze wehen finishing a component and still have big plans for my base... please tell me there is hope
    edited September 2020
    The patch mentioned in this thread has been in the game a long time. It may be that later patches broke the fix. How large is the base?
    Well I don't know exactly but I guess somewhere over 750 structural Base parts. I know thats way too large and such projects especially dont work well with Minimum System requirements aswell but the game itself runs fluently on my good old potato-laptop, only the building lag has become quite frustrating.
    The developers are working on further improving game performance, as they intent to release on Nintendo Switch next year. Hopefully that means it will run better on Potatoes too. :)
  • Base_builder_09782Base_builder_09782 Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236135Members
    I actually stopped playing the game due to this problem. I stopped playing after the 1.0 update, it was still an issue at that point, and had actually been amplified, I haven't played since. I may start to play again soon however if the bug is still present then I'll probably leave again. Because this bug ruins the point of the creative mode and this was on XBox One! A platform where there is at most 3 hardware configs that need to be accounted for. Unlike PC where comprimise is the only solution.
    Lets not be too quick judging here, the recent issues i meantioned can definitly be hardware-related: i7 5500U CPU 2,4GHz, 8GB RAM, Geforce GTX 950m - no one can blame the game for performing poorly at this point, but it would be interesting to know if people with better systems habe noticed similar problems with building huge bases
  • Base_builder_09782Base_builder_09782 Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236135Members
    Mate, I originally discovered the bug on Xbox One. Specifically the Xbox One S. I was saying that unlike PC were there is Billions of possible hardware configurations which are impossible to all be accounted for and therefore requires a comprimise between capatiblity with as wide a range of configurations possible while still being capable of not bottlenecking the performance of the game. The platform was Xbox One which has only three Hardware configs that need to be accounted for; The OG 2013 Xbox One, The Xbox One S & The Xbox One X.
  • RhondrianRhondrian Germany Join Date: 2021-03-16 Member: 268307Members
    edited March 2021
    Still have this issue. Freeze when completing or starting to debuild a base item is now about 12 seconds. Any hope for a fix?

Edit: now at 21 seconds delay for each piece. Not yet giving up on my project, but won't take much more.
    Feeling sad about it.
    Played today a little, building time lag is now "down" to 15s. Build about 10 tubes before... don't know what else changed. Building at an other, smaller base: no lags whatsoever.
    I don't think it is a CPU- or GPU-based problem. I run a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @3.7GHz with 32GB on memory, a AMD 850X, all installed on M2-SSD. It's not the newest, but i think way beyond what it has to have. I tried to reduce the graphics to minimum, no difference.

I gave up on my plan, to build a long base. Its now split up to four or five, if i get finished. I wanted to walk from start to sea-emperor... i call it "Project Hekate", named after greek god of waypoints ^^
    Subnautica has always had trouble when building huge bases. There's been at least 1 patch to reduce the performance issue; players used to report minutes-long wait when building/removing from huge bases.