What would the long fabled Natural Selection 3 be like?

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited October 2017 in NS2 General Discussion
Natural Selection 1 came out on October 31st, 2002, then Natural Selection 2 came out on October 31st 2012.
According to the optimists among us, that means that Natural Selection 3 should come out on October 31st, 2022 - 5 years and 20 days from now.
Games have already changed a decent amount in the time since the releases of NS1 & NS2. So using the games that've come out in the past 10 years as reference, how might NS3 be different from NS1 & NS2?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It would be about as different as NS2 is from NS1. I do not know if that will be a good or bad thing.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2017
    Gonna be awesome. That's my unbiased 3rd party opinion.

Or would you guys rather have a free-to-play, pay-to-win, mobile "app". You guys like "apps" right????
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2017
    My thoughts:
    • Outdoor maps.
    • The weapons fire projectiles instead of being hit-scan.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    A mod for HL3, obviously.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    All bets are off if NS3 doesn't have the BUS!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2017
    The Frontiersmen lost the war against the Kharaa. However, the eggbots who rule the galaxy, cleared the infestation. Now, they cultivate the Kharaa solely for entertainment purposes in their televised war games.

NS3, will be in the diabotical engine. Instead of marines you get eggbots with arena shooter style gunplay.

8fc394f9f2850964f5bfcd3c76175129_original.gif?w=680&fit=max&v=1469620252&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=2d64d35a9ab817a56f0e5e7b374482b7
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    All bets are off if NS3 doesn't have the BUS!

Here I was, going to ask if the BUS was coming in Dev-Chat last night, but didn't think anyone would remember...

I want a team comprised of a single player, a malevolent nanite-cloud based artificial intelligence who has to micro his way to victory. Instead of a command station, he's got a robot body, like Supreme Commander. He would face-off against either marines or aliens depending on the map, no simultaneous three-side war shenanigans.

Also I want a med bank so that Comms can invest res in future meds that auto drop on requesting marines.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    I'm kinda wondering how we can actually fit the Zen of Sudoku in the NS/Sub Universe :D
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Aslong as ns3_hera is release map
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Aslong as ns3_hera is release map

Lowest I can do is ns4.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Protoss. We need additional pylons
    edited October 2017
    Just some... Archived stuff, infestation brainstorming that didn't quite make it into NS2

maxresdefault.jpg
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just put kharra infestation on a random outpost in Star Citizen. People docking onto said station will simply load up an instance of NS2.

If they lose, their ships become infected with the kharra bacterium and thus more outposts get infected. If they win, they get a nice commendation from TSF and the outpost is saved.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    I have no suggestions for NS3 per se, but I really hope the next game in the NS universe is a pure strategy game, managing the response of the TSA to the ever expanding Kharaa threat. A sort of middle ground timeline wise between Subnautica and NS.
  • TheWatcherofAllTheWatcherofAll United States Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238471Members
    Instead of it being on science vessels and official military structures, it should be more on a civilian station/large vessel. That would be an interesting change because it would be more humanly and not bland colors like an official station would be. Maybe even a station on the surface to show the ever increasing threat of the Kharaa virus that is invading the Federation galaxy.
  • BingoWingsBingoWings UK Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194253Members
    I predict there would be occasional complaints about balance.
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Alien win rate 100% against civilians.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Instead of it being on science vessels and official military structures, it should be more on a civilian station/large vessel. That would be an interesting change because it would be more humanly and not bland colors like an official station would be. Maybe even a station on the surface to show the ever increasing threat of the Kharaa virus that is invading the Federation galaxy.

Are you saying that the TSF values corporations and governments over the people? :wink:
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    "Dynamic infestation" would be awesome as "dynamic payload" which progresses in the path chosen by the team/commander. ;)

Hopefullu the commander role(s) can evolve to the next stage and seamlessly elevate the game experience rather than add quirk handicaps to the team.
    What do you think the could make the commander role better?
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    skav2 wrote: »

A well established policy for handling complaints, so that the comm and other marines can collaborate in a positive manner.
    Mouse wrote: »

A well established policy for handling complaints, so that the comm and other marines can collaborate in a positive manner.

So we'd need a new structure for the Commander's staff officer?

I was thinking more so along the lines of what would the commander be doing in the chair / hive that would make the experience more fun and less stressful. You know moving some things around so tthat commander isnt as daunting. Though I do like the idea of a rating system for improvment for commanders. Like a after game check box for how well the comm performed in different areas.
    edited March 2018
    It'd be interesting to have a comm hints system that highlighted the buttons that were pressed the most often at various stages of the game. For example, at the start of the game the arms lab, armory and extractor buttons would be highlighted to varying degrees. Then after one has been chosen & the building has been dropped, the highlighting would change to draw attention to different parts of the UI. Because comms often do wildly different things as the game progresses into the mid-game the highlighting would gradually fade as the game progressed.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kouji_San wrote: »

So we'd need a new structure for the Commander's staff officer?

Fuck yes, let's turn NS3 into arma but with more paperwork.

Not happy with the medpack policy? Go file a complaint.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vetinari wrote: »

Your complaint will be processed in 400-800 res ticks.
    It'd be interesting to have a comm hints system that highlighted the buttons that were pressed the most often at various stages of the game. For example, at the start of the game the arms lab, armory and extractor buttons would be highlighted to varying degrees. Then after one has been chosen & the building has been dropped, the highlighting would change to draw attention to different parts of the UI. Because comms often do wildly different things as the game progresses into the mid-game the highlighting would gradually fade as the game progressed.

I can dig it. For example if X minutes in, PG within X distance from 3 enemy structures it suggest arcs. After X minutes get armor 2 etc.

I would also like to see a training commander mode that guides you through when and where to place structures. For marines I can see this as Players using the voice comm system to request certain structures (obviously not things like arms lab, proto, etc) and the buttons highlight per request on the minimap and if you select them it will instruct you how to place them. I can see it being something like "Place resource tower here" And an arrow to point where to. For things like armories maybe

Similarly on aliens first thing it would ask is to upgrade your hive or place cysts to the natural RT's. Also some notes on the uses for each alien structure. Like Whip does x damage within x range per hit. Crag heals X amount of aliens for x amount of health and so on.

Obviously these are based on current NS systems but obviously made to whatever the next game will have.
    Nordic wrote: »
    Vetinari wrote: »

Your complaint will be processed in 400-800 res ticks.

Complaint processed. Incorrect filing. Form CF1054-M is not the correct form to use for complaints. Please use form CF1054-M. Thank you.

~Space Pearson AI.