What would the long fabled Natural Selection 3 be like?

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Posts: 3,357 mod
edited October 11 in NS2 General Discussion
Natural Selection 1 came out on October 31st, 2002, then Natural Selection 2 came out on October 31st 2012.
According to the optimists among us, that means that Natural Selection 3 should come out on October 31st, 2022 - 5 years and 20 days from now.
Games have already changed a decent amount in the time since the releases of NS1 & NS2. So using the games that've come out in the past 10 years as reference, how might NS3 be different from NS1 & NS2?
-/AUS/- PS_Mouse

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 4,340 Advanced user
    It would be about as different as NS2 is from NS1. I do not know if that will be a good or bad thing.
    Please do not awesome anymore of my posts. I have 888 awesome's, and I would like to keep it that way. Shame on @Vetinari,
    @cooltic, and @.trixX. for ending it. Thank you @Foxy for fixing it.

When you aim for perfect balance, you discover it's a moving target.
    Perfect balance is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellent gameplay.
    NS2 is a moving, breathing thing. We have to be willing to constantly evolve. Perfect balance is constant transformation.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts Posts: 2,711 admin
    edited October 11
    Gonna be awesome. That's my unbiased 3rd party opinion.

Or would you guys rather have a free-to-play, pay-to-win, mobile "app". You guys like "apps" right????
    IronHorsecooliticantou
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Posts: 3,357 mod
    edited October 11
    My thoughts:
    • Outdoor maps.
    • The weapons fire projectiles instead of being hit-scan.
    -/AUS/- PS_Mouse
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members Posts: 1,648 Advanced user
    A mod for HL3, obviously.
    When life gives you lemons, throw it back and demand chocolate.

Mouse.trixX.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,680 Advanced user
    All bets are off if NS3 doesn't have the BUS!

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" AdminModerator

Existence Unknown

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue
    102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting | Play the Latest Version of Booster Z-Frame
    YouTube NS2 Playlists: Unusual Selection | NS2 Stuff | NS2PT | NS2 Tuts

MousepSyk0mAnjrgnIeptBarakat
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,014 Advanced user
    edited October 11
    The Frontiersmen lost the war against the Kharaa. However, the eggbots who rule the galaxy, cleared the infestation. Now, they cultivate the Kharaa solely for entertainment purposes in their televised war games.

NS3, will be in the diabotical engine. Instead of marines you get eggbots with arena shooter style gunplay.

8fc394f9f2850964f5bfcd3c76175129_original.gif?w=680&fit=max&v=1469620252&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=2d64d35a9ab817a56f0e5e7b374482b7
    Kouji_Sanjrgn
  • ZavaroZavaro CDT MT Lead & NAPT Whip Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Community Dev Team, Pistachionauts Posts: 667 admin
    edited October 11
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    All bets are off if NS3 doesn't have the BUS!

Here I was, going to ask if the BUS was coming in Dev-Chat last night, but didn't think anyone would remember...

I want a team comprised of a single player, a malevolent nanite-cloud based artificial intelligence who has to micro his way to victory. Instead of a command station, he's got a robot body, like Supreme Commander. He would face-off against either marines or aliens depending on the map, no simultaneous three-side war shenanigans.

Also I want a med bank so that Comms can invest res in future meds that auto drop on requesting marines.
    CDT Map Testing Lead and NA Playtesting Whip
    Steam / Watch live video from zavaro on Twitch / Twitter
    Have a bug in NS2? Report it in the thread! If you can, post how to reproduce it, or private message me on the forum!
    Kouji_Sanantou
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,680 Advanced user
    edited October 11
    I'm kinda wondering how we can actually fit the Zen of Sudoku in the NS/Sub Universe :D

Existence Unknown

coolitic
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester Posts: 777 Advanced user
    Aslong as ns3_hera is release map
    return to zero
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Posts: 3,243 Advanced user
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Aslong as ns3_hera is release map

Lowest I can do is ns4.
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation Posts: 2,363 mod
    edited October 13
    Just some... Archived stuff, infestation brainstorming that didn't quite make it into NS2

maxresdefault.jpg

Existence Unknown

coolitic
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,492 Advanced user
    Just put kharra infestation on a random outpost in Star Citizen. People docking onto said station will simply load up an instance of NS2.

If they lose, their ships become infected with the kharra bacterium and thus more outposts get infected. If they win, they get a nice commendation from TSF and the outpost is saved.
    For each word spoken, one forgotten. For every thought, a memory rotten. I LIKE POOP
    BeigeAlertSoul_Rider.trixX.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue Posts: 4,248 Advanced user
    edited October 17
    I have no suggestions for NS3 per se, but I really hope the next game in the NS universe is a pure strategy game, managing the response of the TSA to the ever expanding Kharaa threat. A sort of middle ground timeline wise between Subnautica and NS.
    Games:Subnautica Fan Game Mods: GorgeCraft & CTF & Proving Grounds Website: andysoulrider.uk
    Twitter: @AndySoulRider Twitch: Twitch.tv/SoulRider YouTube: Youtube.com/user/IamSoulRider/videos

Capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
    Knowledge is gained through listening, Understanding is gained through discussion.