What is the scariest biome in subnautica?

Comments

• Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    The underwater islands freak me out. Don't ask why. The thought of being stalked by silent, sneaky, bone-armored killers just gives me the screaming heeby-jeebies
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236237Members
    I'm at the lava lakes in my Prawn at the Primary Containment facility...with the Sea Dragon Leviathan staring me down...in VR!!! My Cyclops is just around the corner...2 teleporters above me and about 8 lava lizards swimming around.

One of the teleporters teleported me out of my prawn...luckily I made it back into my prawn and went behind the barrier!!! Didn't have time to take a shot of that...for obvious reasons!!!

Now that is scary sh*t.

(I have screenshots in my steam profile as Phoenix)
  • HipqoHipqo Danmark Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 236996Members
    I build an outpost below the floating islands, right next to 4 heat vents. I have to admit, the combination of missing light, bonesharks everywhere, roaring sounds, visuals from the vents and being 500m below surface level, makes this area very scary and intense for me.
    Turns out theres also alot of different rare resources down there, who would have thought hehe.
    But i now have a base with unlimited, free energy, to recharge all my stuff for thoose deep water expeditions and the view is amazing when the heat vents go off!
  • MissMarifireMissMarifire Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236889Members
    Not gonna lie, I was scared of the Kelp Forests for the longest time. Sure, I've been able to figure my way out with it (and it's not a particularly dangerous zone compared to others...), but it still gives me the spooks every time I have to cross through them. All the kelp makes it so dense to go through, not to mention the Stalkers hanging out around there.

Besides that, gotta agree with the others about the Blood Kelp. It has the creepiest atmosphere, for sure.
  • SgtRafen072SgtRafen072 Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236492Members
    The Lost River hands down. The mix of lighting, creatures, and sounds makes that place eerie as hell.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    The old void (pre-ghost leviathans) why is the old void scarier than the void today? Well, what's the scariest thing in the ocean and this game?
    nothing, and silence..
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    The old void (pre-ghost leviathans) why is the old void scarier than the void today? Well, what's the scariest thing in the ocean and this game?
    nothing, and silence..
    This reminds me of a line from Serious Sam 3 (a intense shooting game in the likes of Doom), walking down creepy corridors without any enemies (in a game that throws dozens upon dozens at a time, all the time) when Sam remarks "Nothing tried to kill me in minutes... Creepy!",

Sorry for the minor spoiler.
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236237Members
    I'd say the lava lakes is the most challenging and scary...especially in VR!!!

Just started a small base in the lava lakes (Freedom mode). I have a nuclear reactor for power as it's too dangerous presently to try to do a thermal with all those warpers, lava lizards and sometimes sea dragon leviathan around. Been warped out of my prawn suit countless times just walking back and forth to my cyclops around the corner. Luckily I've made it every time back to my prawn when it happens...LOL!!!

946cv6z1uqx4.jpg

fzuuii82rt7q.jpg

bf13wxyppcfa.jpg

96yv79v3qi4z.jpg

svzh29mtvewg.jpg

• CellanderCellander Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237261Members
    I would agree with underwater islands. I avoided it pretty much for the whole playthrough. The bonesharks are sneaky ones!
  • Hammy2211Hammy2211 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223218Members
    I wouldn't say that these particularly scare me per se, but I personally try to spend as little time in the Mushroom Forest, Bulb Zone, and Crag Field as possible. The Mushroom Forest next to the Dunes always has me looking over my shoulder in particular. There's always at least 1 Reaper roaring away at me in the background, and all I can think of is that one of em is gonna notice me if I stray too close to the edge. I can handle the Mountains and the Aurora no issue because I don't really have to dive down for those; I can just make a beeline for my objective. But with the Mushroom Forest I'm stuck scouring the seafloor for Cyclops parts and such. Aside from that, I just don't like messing with Bonesharks and Ampeels. Underwater Islands get a free pass because I have a soft spot for gooey blobby things, and those Floaters deliver on that big time. Also it's pretty cool looking. Mushroom Forest is just a lag machine in comparison. Even the Jellyrays can't save it.

As for things that actually scare me... honestly the only thing that comes to mind is when a fish (or occasionally a chunk of terrain) spontaneously materializes in front of my Seamoth while I'm cruising along at top speed. My heart skips a beat every goddamn time that happens; I can't get used to it.
  • LarkLark CA Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237229Members
    Dunes managed to freak me out the most. Large dark spaces with not many places to hide or dodge from the reapers, with a "sameness" that makes it easy to get turned around in.

I actually like the blood kelp biomes; find the atmosphere somehow soothing. Would build a base there if it weren't so infested with hostiles. Same goes for the underwater islands, come to think of it.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    The crash zone is easily the most terrifying for me, thanks to reapers. The deeper parts of the blood kelp are also creepy, as is the deep grand reef. But nothing compared to the crash zone. The combination of the reapers, and the whole area shuddering thanks to the Aurora... nope.

I did just have my first ghost leviathan encounter, though. I was sitting near the blood kelp/lost river border just watching my surroundings... and all the sudden a shadow in the distance resolves into a ghost leviathan, beelines me, and smashes half the health off my Seamoth. Then turns around and vanishes back into the murk. I noped right out of there. Ghost, indeed. xD
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    To all those of you who are afraid of the crash zone:
    hqdefault.jpg
  • eggplantcxeggplantcx America Join Date: 2018-02-12 Member: 237456Members
    The Dead Zone, it has some spooky dudes their
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    I think underwater islands again. Y'know why? Bonesharks. Ya' know why bonesharks?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WnRrPqgKBS0
  • Hammy2211Hammy2211 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223218Members
    I think underwater islands again. Y'know why? Bonesharks. Ya' know why bonesharks?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WnRrPqgKBS0

Doot.
  • OrieusOrieus Join Date: 2018-09-12 Member: 243505Members
    This one's a hard one for me, because all of the scary biomes are scary for different reasons.

For instance, take the Grand Reef. Not a very scary looking area, and it originally used to be pretty peaceful too. However, despite having never run into them, the knowledge alone that there's 2 ghost leviathans in the grand reef has, to this day, made me avoid it at all costs except for going to the floating island.

Now, take the Blood Kelp Trench. There's honestly not a whole hell of a lot of threats in the trench. You have the very occasional warper and the easy to avoid ampeels, and that's about it. But, what the area lacks in threat, it makes up for in sheer creep factor. The trench is fuggin' scary looking, and most players are probably going to avoid it upon seeing it for the first time.

In another direction, we have the Jellyshroom Caves. Not a super intimidating area, as it actually looks super cool, but once you learn that the crabsnakes will hide in the shrooms, you'll find yourself constantly looking around to make sure you're not near a potentially threatening jellyshroom.

Then, you have instances like the Crash Zone. Tbh, the Crash Zone isn't super scary compared to a lot of the other biomes, but because this is where you're most likely to encounter your first reaper... you tend to remember that and associate the area with spooks and danger.

Another particularly scary instance is if you decide to go north after reaching lifepod 6. The border of the Grassy Plateau and Dunes... That drop off is steep as hell, and the vegetation just cuts off, very suddenly. Not to mention, there can be a reaper patrolling right there if you're unlucky.

Speaking of the Dunes, how about that PDA message basically telling you that you're stupid for going there? The Dunes are terrifying because of the sheer premise. It's nothing but open ocean filled with 6 reapers. What makes it even worse is how it's completely optional, making the risk-taking even more daunting.

What about an area that's basically the opposite of the Dunes? The Inactive Lava Zone. It's hot, cramped, and well lit which are all things the Dunes are not. Not to mention, the Inactive Lava Zone doesn't have a bunch of leviathans, it instead has just 1, but BOY does that dragon do a good job of scaring the piss outta me. Not to mention the warpers that are hanging around that can kill you by sucking you into the lava.

Let's talk about some areas that I don't think are as scary, but have 1 moment or two that make you wig out a bit. We'll start with the Mushroom Forest, which is where you'll most likely encounter your first mesmer, which is a rather creepy experience. The Kelp Forest is not only visually creepy, but also homes the stalkers, which are the first legitimately scary enemy you'll most likely encounter. Hell, even the Safe Shallows has the crash fish, which can make for a decent jumpscare the first time you see one. But... How about the Floating Islands? Oh yeah. While this biome isn't necessarily scary or threatening in almost any way, it does one thing that makes my skin crawl... All that open ocean beneath it. Just open empty water that goes on for hundreds of meters. Now, that... is spooky.

There are a few areas I would consider to simply not be scary at all though. Both of the land areas are pretty tame, as is the Crag Field, Sea Treader's Path and Koosh Zone, which are honestly some of the most peaceful areas in the game imo. Hell, I actually find the Lost River peaceful, despite the leviathans there.

But, now we come to the biome that is probably my least favorite to travel to. It's the one that wigs me out the most and is probably my personal scariest biome... The Mountains. Warpers, 8 reapers, and a lot of very dark and very spacious water. All it needs is a ghost leviathan tossed in for good measure and I'd probably never be able to beat the game because I'd fear going there so much. I literally only ever go to the Mountains to get to the gun, which I only ever go to a single time after I'm cured. I've beaten the game several times, even on hardcore, but to this day, the Mountains terrify me to no end.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Dunes. Definitely. I am always scared there. In creative, I built a base near the meteor, and spawned a reaper, for a spooky aesthetic. Five minutes later, I forgot about it, went into survival, and almost fell off my chair when it started chasing me (^o^)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • FlamingChickenWingsFlamingChickenWings Netherlands Join Date: 2017-10-27 Member: 233751Members
    Absolutely the dunes, it's the one place where the Reapers still terrify me.
    It doesn't help that the collision is kinda crappy there and the reapers occasionally swim in and out of mountains.
    Really didn't need that to be a thing there.

If you count the void as a biome, that's pretty creepy too. Just seemingly infinite depth, and an infinite stretch, teeming with apparent complete schools of adult ghost leviathans. Íf you were to somehow escape the ghost leviathans, all you'd be left with is just you, and complete and utter darkness. Enough ocean in front of you to keep going for as long as your food supplies last. Once your PDA runs out of juice, you lose the last hope you have if hearing another voice. From then on, the only things making sounds, are whatever creatures the darkness hides.
  • VasPatsVasPats Greece Join Date: 2018-12-25 Member: 247032Members
    It is technically not a biome that is supposed to exist. For me that's it. It is the abyss and it has ghost leviathans in it. And no, I am not talking about the dead zone...! Yes you read that right. I am talking about a place i found by mistake. By mistake i bugged the world and i could go through things. Then, suddenly the abyss appears. It was so creepy. It even had messages that nobody has seen in subnautica before like: Warning. This place is the only one that includes the biggest lifeform inside it. SOOO CREEPYYYYY. (it is like 30k meters below sea level). AND GUESS WHAT ELSE. No no no... this is not how it ends. IT HAS MORE!!! When you go to 86.732k meters below sea level there is another surface. there is no aurora. NOTHING!!! how creepy is that
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    edited January 2019
    Totally the void, there's nothing there except three Ghost Levis, but i did find a bit of land under some biome, and i kept hearing this like really far away total roar, then at one point i look right, see nothing, then i look left, and there's this HUGE light teal wall stretching as far as the eye can see, then i hear that roar again but much closer, i scream, look up to see if there's a edge to this, there is, i go up there, and see a huge wrinkly sea floor, farther than anything in game.
    Scariest thing I've ever saw! Still shake whenever i think about it...
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    And guess what, when i pulled out my scanner, i can scan it! When i was done scanning, and i looked into my PDA, the picture log had three question marks, and the only description was, "Unknown creature," yes, CREATURE!! "advisable not to engage, return to the Habitat immediately." And i did just that because i was scared out of my mind!
    Later, i decided to look for it, figured that the voice log was trying to keep me away from an AWESOME alien, but i couldn't find it again...
  • PeeperSweeperPeeperSweeper Join Date: 2019-01-26 Member: 249425Members
    For me the lava zone (deep down dark deep down) before the cure (no more warpers)
  • CochonouCochonou France Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249024Members
    In my opinion, the maze-like caves in the mushroom forest or the koosh zone can be very scary... as it is quite easy to get disoriented and exhaust the oxygen reserve.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2019
    The inside of an extensive cave or giant mushroom tree tunnel when you're in the midst of gathering and exploring, when you hear the oxygen chime "30 Seconds" and you realize you have absolutely no idea how to backtrack out. Doubly so if you're on Hardcore.

EDIT: A wreck works too if you get turned around and forget which way is up.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    I don't know about you, but those so-called "safe" shallows are a definite stalker in gasopod clothing. Gives me the shivers every time I swim into that pastel purgatory. Everthying's bright and cheery... too bright and cheery. I mean, have you seen those rabbit rays? They're definitely up to something...
    Proof! I rest my case.
    fojjr2zrgmjr.jpg
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @subnauticambrian Try Filmic, it won't be so bright. ;) Or maybe even a shader from the mod section.
  • Philis213Philis213 Join Date: 2019-01-09 Member: 248390Members
    the underside of the aurora where you always get attacked by the reaper
  • CelticBardbarianCelticBardbarian Michigan, US Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249827Members
    Regular scare? The Dunes. I end up moving along the edges of here a lot during my playthroughs and I'm always expecting to turn around and see a Reaper aggroed onto me. The darkness combined with the open space makes it feel like anything could be out there at all...

In a close second: The Void. Endless black filled with giant leviathans coming from the darkness? Nah, I'll stick to the center.