Habitat Animations Glitch

qeric99qeric99 Join Date: 2016-06-30 Member: 219354Members
Been playing for a while in EA now and was hoping some of the technical glitches would be worked out for 1.0. One that seems to have slipped through the cracks is a glitch where animations for hatches and ladders stop playing. First few hours on a fresh 1.0 save worked fine, hatches and bulkheads opened and closed, ladders in the moonpool played the climbing animation. After expanding my habitat, all of these animations stopped playing and the player would instantly teleport in and out of hatches. Bulkheads also close and open instantly. Even worse, not only do the moonpool ladder animations not play, they don't work at all to allow access to the inside of the habitat: clicking on them from the pool simply teleports me 1 foot forward and clips me into the floor of the moonpool. To enter the moonpool from the water, I've taken to breaching out of the water like a dolphin.

I'm at my wits end with this bug. I've tried deconstructing the moonpool and various sections of the habitat. Nothing worked until I literally deconstructed the entire habitat save for 1 MP room, after which the animations on hatches reappeared. Any solutions that don't involve starting a save from scratch? Any tips to keep this from happening in the future?

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Belgarel I thought this one was squashed? Apparently it's back if so.
  • qeric99qeric99 Join Date: 2016-06-30 Member: 219354Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @Belgarel I thought this one was squashed? Apparently it's back if so.

I actually didn't realize this was a glitch in EA. I thought that hatch animations were just not implemented till 1.0. In any case, it is indeed back and it seems like other players have also run into the same issue.
  • pariskoparisko Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236722Members
    i cant post new topic about my bug
  • ranmafanranmafan Join Date: 2018-02-04 Member: 236837Members
    I can confirm this is happening. I'll copy and paste my info from the Moonpool animation thread + some other info:

---

Experiencing the same thing. I found a video that shows the bug.

youtube.com/watch?v=FbHPjPqHD5k -> I can't post links yet so just use this

Did some testing. So far, I can confirm a few things on my end:

1) Up until the latest session, I had NO problems with the animations. Then this one time I use the ladder in the moonpool to go DOWN into the water (I may or may not have been jumping?), and the animation bugs out. I didn't recognize it at the time so I continued on my way and saved my game later. Now I can't get rid of it.

2) It affects ALL hatches (both the alien containment AND the ingress/egress hatches) and moonpool ladders WITHIN A SPECIFIC SEABASE GRID. Deconstructing and rebuilding specific modules within this grid does not solve the problem. Building a base just 5 millimeters away from the affected grid works just fine.

3) Prawns and Seamoth entry/exit animations work fine within the base.

4) Other savegames from different sessions work just fine.

5) Older savegames of the same base works just fine. (I just wished I'd made a backup more recently)

I registered just to report this bug too. I love this game, love it to bits. It kills me that this bug is preventing me from enjoying the base I spent dozens of hours building. ;(

Did some testing. I narrowed it down to the global-objects.bin file. I hope that helps.

---

Please fix this. T_T I know it's minor but it means a LOT to my gameplay experience. T_T
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    edited February 2018
    qeric99 wrote: »
    Been playing for a while in EA now and was hoping some of the technical glitches would be worked out for 1.0. One that seems to have slipped through the cracks is a glitch where animations for hatches and ladders stop playing. First few hours on a fresh 1.0 save worked fine, hatches and bulkheads opened and closed, ladders in the moonpool played the climbing animation. After expanding my habitat, all of these animations stopped playing and the player would instantly teleport in and out of hatches. Bulkheads also close and open instantly. Even worse, not only do the moonpool ladder animations not play, they don't work at all to allow access to the inside of the habitat: clicking on them from the pool simply teleports me 1 foot forward and clips me into the floor of the moonpool. To enter the moonpool from the water, I've taken to breaching out of the water like a dolphin.

I'm at my wits end with this bug. I've tried deconstructing the moonpool and various sections of the habitat. Nothing worked until I literally deconstructed the entire habitat save for 1 MP room, after which the animations on hatches reappeared. Any solutions that don't involve starting a save from scratch? Any tips to keep this from happening in the future?

How big is your base? This glitch usually occured after building a lot of bulkheads and stuff. Although 1 of my large bases (an old version of it is somewhere in the seabase showcase thread) got "debugged", when I removed my 40 thermal plants attached to it and moved them somewhere else, linked by transmitters this time. Btw, thermal plant recharges insanely fast, when at >95°C.

On the other hand, are you sure you want this bug fixed? Personally, I prefer "teleporting", for the sake of convenience :)
  • JekafisherJekafisher Join Date: 2018-02-04 Member: 236862Members
    You need to space out the base into sections, the game loads bases like shit, it's because it renders it as a whole model, if you split the base into sections that are not on the same grid, the bug doesn't occur, you can build a whole city and the game will play fine, but if you connect the buildings on the same grid, you're done, the game decides it's resource saving time! And turns into an even bigger resource hog than it already is.
    That worked! Thank you!
  • DonDeDeckelwechDonDeDeckelwech Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236906Members
    Jekafisher wrote: »
    You need to space out the base into sections, the game loads bases like shit, it's because it renders it as a whole model, if you split the base into sections that are not on the same grid...

Please excuse my bad English.
    What exactly do you mean by "sections" or "on the same grid"?
    Can this bug disappear again from my Savegame?

thx

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You need to space out the base into sections, the game loads bases like shit, it's because it renders it as a whole model, if you split the base into sections that are not on the same grid, the bug doesn't occur, you can build a whole city and the game will play fine, but if you connect the buildings on the same grid, you're done, the game decides it's resource saving time! And turns into an even bigger resource hog than it already is.

@Belgarel
    You need to space out the base into sections, the game loads bases like shit, it's because it renders it as a whole model, if you split the base into sections that are not on the same grid...

Please excuse my bad English.
    What exactly do you mean by "sections" or "on the same grid"?
    Can this bug disappear again from my Savegame?

thx

1) When you build your first room, the game creates a new 'grid' for that base starting from that room. So for example, this is 'grid 1'
    2) Every room you build adds a 'section' to that grid. You can tell a room is part of the grid if it snaps while you are trying to place it, rather than floating around freely.
    3) Each grid has a size limit. After you reach a certain number of 'sections', the bug appears.
    4) To prevent this, build a new base 'grid' elsewhere. Example, 'grid 2'.
    5) You will know if the new base is a different 'grid' if it floats freely while trying to place it, and doesn't try to snap to your original base.
    6) Grid 1 and Grid 2 will continue to work independently and so you won't experience the bug as long as each grid is kept below a certain size.
  • DonDeDeckelwechDonDeDeckelwech Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236906Members
    Ahh ... I got it. Thank you very much for your help. That's how it works. I even managed to save my old savegame. Rebuilding a bit here and there and it worked.
    Thanks again and have a nice day.

Greetings from Germany from the Baltic Sea :)