New Zone Idea/Request - The Abyssal Zone

SilverHasArisenSilverHasArisen Indiana Join Date: 2018-01-16 Member: 235096Members
If there is one thing in Subnautica that I dislike, it's how plain the dead zone is. On Earth, our ocean depths are packed with life of all sizes, and it makes sense to me that Subnautica should be the same way. I suggest adding a bottom to the dead zone, kind of where the small flat area at 3000M at the base of the drop-off. This area would be like the abyssal zone on Earth, with little life in general, with large hotspots near thermal vents. I think that this zone would be perfect for the use of a small deep-sea sub that can go to such extreme depths (possibly have max depth upgrade modules to balance). Anyways, on our world, there's this phenomena called "Deep Sea Gigantism" which makes creatures that are normally small HUGE, but otherwise the same thing. I think it would be really cool to see some of the creatures in Subnautica in the depths as these 5-ft monstrosities.

The extension to this zone, since the old world boundary is obsolete, would be the actual edge to the volcanic crater, since the playable area is in the center of a W shaped crater that is MASSIVE. I think that this zone could be the world boundary, and at higher elevations closer to the surface, there could be even more biomes or some more of the same as in the original playable area.

The picture attached to the post shows what the full volcanic crater looks like in Subnautica. Imagine the highest part in the center as the playable area, and the low parts around it as the Abyssal zone.

Comments

• SilverHasArisenSilverHasArisen Indiana Join Date: 2018-01-16 Member: 235096Members
    Now that I think about it, I think that there could be multiple different deep sea biomes i.e. mountains, trenches, etc.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
  • angeluscaligoangeluscaligo Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236483Members
    You forget one simple thing - continued survival of life on the world was dependant on the enzymes emmitted by the enzyme-Peepers. That far down, so far away from the nearest alien vents (and thus the enzyme-Peepers), the chances of any life safe microscopic or Leviathan-class surviving are nihil. Perhaps it can be explored in the upcoming expansions, which will include the Arctic biome (which could similarly feature an abyssal zone).
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    You forget one simple thing - continued survival of life on the world was dependant on the enzymes emmitted by the enzyme-Peepers. That far down, so far away from the nearest alien vents (and thus the enzyme-Peepers), the chances of any life safe microscopic or Leviathan-class surviving are nihil. Perhaps it can be explored in the upcoming expansions, which will include the Arctic biome (which could similarly feature an abyssal zone).

I mean...

It is confirmed that the void has (or had) emperor Leviathans down there.

This means that the enzyme (Theoretically) can be found within the void.
  • angeluscaligoangeluscaligo Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236483Members

I mean...

It is confirmed that the void has (or had) emperor Leviathans down there.

This means that the enzyme (Theoretically) can be found within the void.

Only because of the enormous amounts of krill and plankton that they eat - which they gather abundantly when nearest to the Crater, where the enzymes are abundant due to the Peepers. But also, because they are the only macroscopic lifeform there, it proves the absence of the enzyme there.
  • CynosisCynosis Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236879Members
    Nice idea, would be difficult to implement though!