[MOD][PC] - Murky Waters

RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
murkiness_example.jpg murkiness_example2.jpg

PLEASE READ: This is not finished and is pretty much a proof of concept at the moment.

Version: Stable - Jan-2018 59783
At the time of writing, this also works on experimental branch. THESE FILES MAY CHANGE. If you want to continue using this mod you may want to disable updates for a while.

I always thought Subnautica was a little too bright and I hate the performance hit you get with things like Reshade, so I decided to directly modify fog values in 'Assembly-CSharp.dll'.
This mod might make the game a little too dark for some people, but I find that it makes the game so much more creepy! It also hides a lot of the pop-in, which is pretty cool.

Disclaimer:
I haven't fully tested this (i.e, been to every biome). There shouldn't be any performance changes and it's only modifying visual stuff, so it shouldn't cause any crashes.
The darker the biome, the more this mod will affect it. The shallows wont change much, but the Jellyshroom Cave (see screenshot) looks quite a bit different.

Instructions:
Ok, sharing game DLLs is pretty illegal, so instead, here's how to modify the file yourself.

Step1: Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed" and make a backup of 'Assembly-CSharp.dll'
Step2: Download a HEX Editor of your choice (any will do, there's plenty of free ones)
Step3: Open 'Assembly-CSharp.dll' in your hex editor and search for the hex listed below and make the changes in bold
Step4: Save the file

22 00 00 0C 42 5A 02 7B
22 00 00 00 40 5A 02 7B

00 AF 43 7D 0A 1A 00 04
00 7A 43 7D E3 1A 00 04

85 84 04 3F 22 AD AC 2C
1F 1E 1E 3F 22 46 46 46

There's a few more I need to find but I'll update this post later.

To uninstall this mod, simply replace "Assembly-CSharp.dll" with your backup or delete the file then verify file integrity through Steam.

Enjoy :)

Comments

• MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    This looks amazing and terrifying. xD
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @Rien - you've joined the Subnautica Modding Discord, right?

I don't really have time tbh, I only have 1 or 2 hours a night to work on stuff like this, so I don't think I'd be much help for collab work. I'll just stick to easy value changes :wink:
  • suspensionrailwaysuspensionrailway the best country Join Date: 2017-11-01 Member: 233804Members
    Yeah redistributing game content is kind of illegal (so you might want to take down the download for now), but if you want I can help you get it into patcher and installer if you ping me on the modding discord, I'm "mountain cableway"
    edited January 2018
    Yeah redistributing game content is kind of illegal (so you might want to take down the download for now), but if you want I can help you get it into patcher and installer if you ping me on the modding discord, I'm "mountain cableway"

Yeah, I thought so, I'll put the hex values up so people can change it themselves.
    Yeah that'd be awesome, I'll give you a ping later if I have time, currently writing a program to do it via a hex edit but it's not exactly an elegant solution, never done any file patching before so this is new to me :p

Edit: Actually, the hex values are going to take way too long to find. I'll have to do it a better way.
    Edit2: Ok, I found a few of them, added them to the OP. Missing a couple of values but I'll add them later on.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, I wasn't just mentioning the Modding Discord so you could help them - they can help you, too! ;)
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited January 2018
    Does a pretty good job at making some areas murkier right, though I still feel that there are a few areas that aren't murky enough even with this mod on. Some like the Kelp Forest are nice and murky while others like the Jellyshroom or Lost River are still a little too clear for me and you can see a lot of that ugly distance stuff.

My personal thoughts on water murkiness have always been that most biomes should have at most a maximum view distance of about 120m infront of the player to hide that ugly bug with transparent textures that also starts that far away, but some other biomes like the Mushroom Forest or Lava Lakes should only have maximum view distance of 80 meters because of how bad the pop-in is there. This mod gets close in some area, but not all of them.
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Did you use the modified DLL I posted or did you do the hex edits? If it's the latter then there's a few values I still need to add to the post (I'll try and do them tonight) which will make it a little murkier.
    I'm not sure if the values are directly translated into meters but the fog usually starts at 35 and ends at 350. The hex values change these to 2 and 250 so there's definitely room to decrease the visibility.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I want this.

In my life.

Plez donate mod to meh.

Kidding, but jesus this would be awesome!