When starting a new save, we should have the option to enable or disable terraforming

TacticalHogTacticalHog Join Date: 2017-05-04 Member: 230229Members
So people with lower end PCs can still play, and people with higher end ones aren't limited : D

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2018
    I thought They had taken that code completely out of the game.
    So it can't be "optional" anymore.
    (if They didn't, then you can still fiddle with it in CREATIVE mode)
    B)
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    So people with lower end PCs can still play, and people with higher end ones aren't limited : D

uh...terraforming or not, this game runs like crap.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Apparently, only for you.

I'm getting 64-102 FPS and the "pop-in" scenery has gone completely now when I played earlier this morning.

Don't know what to tell you except maybe delete either the game as a whole and reload, or delete your current game and start over.

<shrug>

We tried to help this guy a long time ago but he just doesn't want the help so I don't think he'll listen to you
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The terraformer is still in-game, you just have to spawn it manually (item 514). I verified it still works after the 1.0 PC release. However, UWE has removed saving (and reloading) of the changes made with the terraformer. This was done for performance reasons (as you have alluded to), and is a problem for systems with slow hard drives, like the XBox One.

While I agree it would be nice to see terraforming again, it appears that UWE has made up their mind. Given this, there are still options. There is a small chance UWE will add (limited) modding support (via DLL) post-1.0. With this (or even without if someone is determined enough), it would be possible to have first-class terraforming back.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    edited January 2018
    BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAA!!!
    adel_50 wrote: »

We tried to help this guy a long time ago but he just doesn't want the help so I don't think he'll listen to you

The hell are you babbling about?? I never ever ONCE came here asking for help.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAA!!!

The hell are you babbling about?? I never ever ONCE came here asking for help.

Yeah right coming here posting about performance issues on oculus isn't asking for help gotcha
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    ANYWAYS BACK ON TOPIC!

I would honestly find that interesting, although terraforming is very weird by itself. It wouldn't make sense unless you had a reason to terraform.
  • authorizeduserauthorizeduser Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235663Members

uh...terraforming or not, this game runs like crap.

Runs fine on my mid-range system. Maybe upgrade your potato
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    edited January 2018
    I've just come back after a long absence from Subnautica. Have to say I'm gutted that the terrain changes I made are gone. I still have the terraformer, but like said above the changes don't save if you leave the game or even if you change the biome. I still have the optoctrees files for the modifications I made (along with corresponding 2 types of batch files), but they are no longer loaded or modified if placed in the CompiledOctreesCache folder. I guess they've been moved somewhere else?

I have over 15 days worth of game play. Now it makes me want to give up :(

*End of whine*

re the lower end PC comment of the OP, I have an Ivybridge, and the terraforming works just fine.
  • RocketRocket Join Date: 2018-01-14 Member: 235036Members
    If they're not going to put terra-forming back in, then they need to update the movies on the steam page so they no longer show terra-forming as being in the game.

By virtue of those videos, they are currently advertising it as a feature in a released product.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I thought They had taken that code completely out of the game.
    So it can't be "optional" anymore.
    (if They didn't, then you can still fiddle with it in CREATIVE mode)
    B)

It's still there, but it doesn't save the changes, so when you unload the area (leave) or re-load the game, it gets reverted to default. (
    item 514

)

So you can still use it to say, rescue your PRAWN or Seamoth from terrain.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Oh, and about performance, the biggest hit would be disk I/O. If your hard disk is old (5400 RPM), and also if it's fragmented, and especially if it's almost full (which, by the way, prevents Windows from auto-defragmenting it), then there's your problem. Also of course if the drive is starting to fail but still managing to hold itself together with duct tape (modern drives mark bad sectors and re-allocate the data, which can keep the drive running for a while, although it should warn you if the drive is going critical).
  • TacticalHogTacticalHog Join Date: 2017-05-04 Member: 230229Members

I'm getting 64-102 FPS and the "pop-in" scenery has gone completely now when I played earlier this morning.

Don't know what to tell you except maybe delete either the game as a whole and reload, or delete your current game and start over.

<shrug>

how do you mean?
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    I had a tunnel straight down to the lava castle and to ghost tree. I tried very hard to get the sub down, but died going through acid brine. I loved the fact it was open and you could do what you wanted.