Repairing Degasi bases

RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
I don't know about you guys, but I feel the Degasi crew had a knack for picking nice base locations (Also being cheaters and placing MP rooms dead-center on platforms rather than only on the corners!) and sometimes I looked at one of 'em and thought to myself that it'd be nice to expend some lubricant, titanium, glass and lithium to polish it up and reclaim it in the name of Alterra. Or rather in the name of myself, since after reading that Diamond pickup message I'm not sure I want to be rescued anymore :lol:

Anyway, I thought it'd be cool if we could repair them to use for our own purposes, or at least scrap them for spare resources. What do you all think?

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    garath wrote: »
    Yes, it would be cool if we could repair them. No, it isn't something I want the developers working on versus other stuff.

Undoubtedly, all elements of the abandoned bases are coded, for the most, part as fixed elements in the game. So, the work required to allow greater interaction might require re-coding all of them almost from the ground up. Yeah, it would be cool to repair those bases and use them. But I have other stuff I want first that is more pressing. For example, I want to be able to directly dock my Cyclops to my base. :)

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're static objects and so would need some tag or script applied to them to say "Hey, this can be interacted with!" - not even mentioning the extra work needed to actually get them to go from one state to another. It might not be that hard, it might not be all too tedious, but it's not a priority either way.

It'd be a neat thing to add at some point in the future, but definitely not right away~
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Jarin wrote: »
    I'd settle for being able to learn their platform-positioning voodoo.

YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU, I want that trick to make it into our hands so much ;v;

Being able to rotate the moonpool would be a splendid addition as well but that's another topic for another day....
  • JckingJcking Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227344Members
    I'd settle for getting rid of them, as they have overrun the jelly shroom caves.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited January 2018
    Jcking wrote: »
    I'd settle for getting rid of them, as they have overrun the jelly shroom caves.
    haha yeah

bastards'v taken all the best base-building spots ;/
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    haha yeah

bastards'v taken all the best base-building spots ;/

Just build it near the base as an outpost. That's what I do.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

Well, if you can repair it, it stands to reason that you would then be able to de-construct or modify it.
  • Mini8495Mini8495 Join Date: 2018-02-18 Member: 237883Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys, but I feel the Degasi crew had a knack for picking nice base locations (Also being cheaters and placing MP rooms dead-center on platforms rather than only on the corners!) and sometimes I looked at one of 'em and thought to myself that it'd be nice to expend some lubricant, titanium, glass and lithium to polish it up and reclaim it in the name of Alterra. Or rather in the name of myself, since after reading that Diamond pickup message I'm not sure I want to be rescued anymore :lol:

- i don't want to be rescued either lel -

Anyway, I thought it'd be cool if we could repair them to use for our own purposes, or at least scrap them for spare resources. What do you all think?
    I completely concur!
    Like others, stated, this would take time to do, and I respect the devs' priorities and time spans.
    The island bases are VERY pretty, and, with my colonization scheme going on, they've picked out three perfect spots to make little homes for my ultimately perfect roleplay narrator c O U G H
    Very nice idea, as I was thinking of it myself!
    totally didn't dig around in my bag for a repair tool and shoot it at the base :P

• Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
    To be honest, it may be better to leave the bases the way they are and just add a new island entirely for us as players make a use of it. But good idea though! :)
  • ThinkThickerThinkThicker Poland Join Date: 2018-02-24 Member: 238237Members
    I think it's nice, but also not necessary.
  • SkinPoppeRSkinPoppeR Moscow, Russia Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238370Members
    I just want those fancy lockers they have as an item to build in my habitat. Every play through, when I get to the Aurora or Degasi base’s I dream of having those lockers in my own base.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2018
    Once, I was building replicas of the degasi base right next to them. I was just doing it to see their hull integ. (Interesting the Jelly Shroom base had a good hull integ and shouldn't have cracked but what ever) while testing the DGR one I accidentally put the base to close to the degasi base and deleted it from existance. I then rebuilt the base with images from the wikia. Good news, I rebuilt it. Bad news, it isn't centered because the devs are evil.

Very bad news, the base had a hull integ of like -30 No wonder why they died. The base is probably beyond repair at this point

Please let us center base parts on the foundations we are all suffering since they can't be centered
  • Spacelord333Spacelord333 Germany Join Date: 2018-03-09 Member: 238777Members
    Reapiring the Bases would be a great idea it would give you some quick and easy Stations in these interesting areas.
    Im all for it!
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    ...placing MP rooms dead-center on platforms...

I have never understood some peoples need to use the platforms for their bases. I haven't used them since...pretty much my first base back in December of 2015. They are just a waste of materials and, if you check out the cool bases people are showing in contests and on youtube, most people ignore them completely. About the only thing I use them for is external planters to make large gardens for something nice to look at from inside my base, in some of the blander cases where a window looks out on nothing interesting or attractive.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Technically you can almost do this - if you build a base too close to the ruins they will permanently disappear (be warned)! You could then reconstruct a base on that spot.