The most immersion-breaking bugs that I've found

MerivoMerivo United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212466Members
edited January 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Immersion is important to me. Three of my favourite games of all time are up there due to their immersive qualities. I'm talking Bioshock, Baldur's Gate and Half Life. I think Subnautica also has that potential, but there are a few niggling rendering bugs that make the experience a little less cool. Note these results are from the most recent dev build as of 27th Dec 2017.

1. When a base is partially in the water and partially above water level, and you enter a multipurpose room, you can see the water surface clip through it.
Suggestion: Ok so if this was a simple fix, it'd be fixed by now for sure, but even so. In my opinion it would be better if when entering rooms that are half in the water, you just turn off the water surface texture. At least this way the player has control, for example I can refrain from putting windows in rooms at this level; it would be better than what we've got right now.

2. While in a seamoth, my base is visible from any distance. Looks like the rendering distance of different parts is outta whack. I can understand why, if a base is huge you don't want it suddenly disappearing on you because it left the render distance. Suggestion: I'm sure at the very least you can find the bounding box of the base and check its corners for if it should be rendered in the first place, I think this would double as a performance optimisation too.
Images: Close, Close-ish, Far-ish, Far, Really Far and for reference, Actual Base.

Note life-pod 5 is also demonstrating this bug, according to @0x6A7232.

3. Luminescent flora in its natural habitat can create some beautiful light patterns, but when grown in a growbed, they create no ambient light and just look like the shading engine has forgotten about them (with the notable exception of the seeded creep vines). When I saw a well placed rouge cradle I instantly fell in love. Now imagine my disappointment when my own carefully grown cradle had no appealing light effect what-so-ever.
Suggestion: I presume this is because non-baked lighting is costly and bases are already rampant with ambient light, or because 'lets not break the lighting engine with disco lights'. So how about this as a compromise: Only one type of light per growbed. So if you grow a rouge cradle, you get the beautiful red pattern, if you grow creep vines you get the warm yellow glow, but if you grow both you get just one of those.

That's all from me for now, but feel free to reply with what bugs you find immersion-breaking.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Add Lifepod 5 to the rendering distance bug (in the daytime, you can see the bottom of that thing underwater from inside the Seamoth at over 500m).

@Belgarel Some good ones in here, and probably following as well.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited December 2017
    Merivo wrote: »
    3. Luminescent flora in its natural habitat can create some beautiful light patterns, but when grown in a growbed, they create no ambient light and just look like the shading engine has forgotten about them (with the notable exception of the seeded creep vines). When I saw a well placed rouge cradle I instantly fell in love. Now imagine my disappointment when my own carefully grown cradle had no appealing light effect what-so-ever.
    Suggestion: I presume this is because non-baked lighting is costly and bases are already rampant with ambient light, or because 'lets not break the lighting engine with disco lights'. So how about this as a compromise: Only one type of light per growbed. So if you grow a rouge cradle, you get the beautiful red pattern, if you grow creep vines you get the warm yellow glow, but if you grow both you get just one of those.

That's all from me for now, but feel free to reply with what bugs you find immersion-breaking.

#3 I have been grousing about for some time. I believe it has actually risen to the level of a bug now. (The following images are fully expandable to 1080p resolution here.)

This is how a Rouge Cradle looks normally. See how pretty? See how it illuminates the surrounding area, throwing shadows and whatnot? This is in a GP cave, but it's also during the day.
    o0cdmhJ.jpg

And it's not even the only plant that does that. But they are all sadly non-luminous when grown (or on a Reefback). (The Eyestalks look particularly sad.)
    fdvKLzL.jpg

So far, that's just a complaint about how I would like things to look. However, when out in the wild (except on Reefbacks), they should all give off light. Here are a few locations in a Bloodkelp Forest where they do not.
    efQZRzJ.jpg
    RZuKeB8.jpg
    kWeiZ7Z.jpg

Note that in the last one, the Bloodvine and Ghost Weed are faintly luminous, but the Rouge Cradle? Not at all.

The plants are very aesthetically pleasing to me, but I wish they were as pretty grown as they are in the wild.
  • VayshyaVayshya Россия Join Date: 2018-01-03 Member: 234790Members
    1. Yea bug is still here. Algae and fish also infiltrate cyclop and base. Leviathans infiltrate terrain.

For me most immersion-breaking thing was teleportation when entering different doors. Most of cases fixed but some still here: when entering another floor on base and when entering seamouth form another side. I guess it's better to enter Seamouth and PRAWN only by pressing on hatch.

Another thing is when entering from water to rooms and vehicles there is no water flow. It not looks like big problem to do: on cyclop flood-gates already present, seamouth and PRAWN can be flooded completly, on base player can make flood-gate himself using door.

Also absence of need and devices for sleep, toilet and shower. Bed and sleep already there so direction is right.

One big thing which breaks immersion for me constantly is teleportation of resources during mining and moving them to inventory and cabinet. PRAWN moves resources to trunk on it's back without animation. Hero takes resources without touching them and breakes stones with bare hands and carries them without backpack. Then puts them in cabinet without opening doors (and cabinets can be stacked door to door and still work). Then inside cabinets with glass doors resources not visible. And from cabinet hero takes resources without opening doors and touching them.

And one little thing i just discovered: stasis rifle do not stop yellow gas spheres from gas fishes from exploding. While in your pocket they do not explode. Strange.

• Inny78Inny78 France Join Date: 2017-11-02 Member: 233820Members
    They just added some scripting to leviathans to avoid terrain. :)
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Vayshya wrote: »
    1. Yea bug is still here. Algae and fish also infiltrate cyclop and base. Leviathans infiltrate terrain.

...Algae?
    For me most immersion-breaking thing was teleportation when entering different doors. Most of cases fixed but some still here: when entering another floor on base and when entering seamouth form another side. I guess it's better to enter Seamouth and PRAWN only by pressing on hatch.

Lots of games handle this in precisely this way. Just use your imagination.
    Another thing is when entering from water to rooms and vehicles there is no water flow. It not looks like big problem to do: on cyclop flood-gates already present, seamouth and PRAWN can be flooded completly, on base player can make flood-gate himself using door.

Just assume a nonintrusive technological solution for this exists in the future.
    One big thing which breaks immersion for me constantly is teleportation of resources during mining and moving them to inventory and cabinet. PRAWN moves resources to trunk on it's back without animation. Hero takes resources without touching them and breakes stones with bare hands and carries them without backpack. Then puts them in cabinet without opening doors (and cabinets can be stacked door to door and still work). Then inside cabinets with glass doors resources not visible. And from cabinet hero takes resources without opening doors and touching them.

You're basically objecting to what have been standard game mechanics since the '80s. Once again: Lots of games handle this in precisely this way. Just use your imagination. This is a game, not a perfect simulation of reality. The devs are doing the best they can with the time and resources they have, neither of which is infinite.
    ...Algae?
    In start location with yellow glowing seeds.
    And lots precisely opposite and it's better for immersion. Imagination for immersion must work automatically, if you do it by will it breaks immersion.
    Just assume a nonintrusive technological solution for this exists in the future.
    I tried but failed because there is no animation. I see it every time and it breaks immersion for me.
    You're basically objecting to what have been standard game mechanics since the '80s. Once again: Lots of games handle this in precisely this way. Just use your imagination. This is a game, not a perfect simulation of reality. The devs are doing the best they can with the time and resources they have, neither of which is infinite.
    I've seen backpack animation in Ultima 8 and 9, resource gathering by hand in Gothica so best games do it best way. But even when lots of games do not animate resource gathering it not applicable to Subnautica because there not much first person resource gathering games. Where you see resources right in front of your face and gather and store them most of game time. I tried to use imagination but failed. What palyer must not do anyway. Devs doing just fine as i can see, starting with most critical things.

By the way i forgot immediate eating and drinking underwater what can be animated just fine.
    edited January 2018
    ...Algae?
    In start location with yellow glowing seeds.
    And lots precisely opposite and it's better for immersion. Imagination for immersion must work automatically, if you do it by will it breaks immersion.
    I tried but failed because there is no animation. I see it every time and it breaks immersion for me.
    I've seen backpack animation in Ultima 8 and 9, resource gathering by hand in Gothica so best games do it best way. But even when lots of games do not animate resource gathering it not applicable to Subnautica because there not much first person resource gathering games. Where you see resources right in front of your face and gather and store them most of game time. I tried to use imagination but failed. What palyer must not do anyway. Devs doing just fine as i can see, starting with most critical things.

By the way i forgot immediate eating and drinking underwater what can be animated just fine.

None of these are bugs. These are your gripes. If you want to do that, you need to go to the other part of the forum. Over here, we discuss bugs. Also, the 1.0 of the game is coming out very soon, so none of what you want has a hope of getting implemented. You should've said something earlier, as it's definitely too late now, but I doubt it would've helped.
  • MerivoMerivo United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212466Members
    Hmm when creep vines clip the base boundaries, I think that's easy enough for the player to avoid by themselves; either move the base, or kill the vines that clip it. It's not like they're going anywhere. However for my list of bugs, I think it's fairly inevitable that the player will experience them all. Who doesn't build a multipurpose tower up to the water surface?
    None of these are bugs. These are your gripes. If you want to do that, you need to go to the other part of the forum. Over here, we discuss bugs. Also, the 1.0 of the game is coming out very soon, so none of what you want has a hope of getting implemented. You should've said something earlier, as it's definitely too late now, but I doubt it would've helped.
    Well first statement is wrong. Algae infiltrating cyclope (and base as i see) is bug. I guess noone intended this to happen, it's just technical mulfunction. Also it's not exactly my gripes, i already adapted, it will affect mostly new players who see it first time.
    There are different types of bugs, all these are not critical or game-stopping, more like flaws of early implementation. Which supposed to be corrected according to user response.
    Earlier i said most crytical things and they were fixed, now time for next layer. There are 2 main gameplay scenarios in Subnautica: resource gathering/building and story. Story have no issues for me but resource gathering has.
    Well something will be implemented and something not, i don't care, i just give user response. But what is for sure money income will depend on how much user expirience will be fixed.

• nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited January 2018
    2. While in a seamoth, my base is visible from any distance. Looks like the rendering distance of different parts is outta whack. I can understand why, if a base is huge you don't want it suddenly disappearing on you because it left the render distance. Suggestion: I'm sure at the very least you can find the bounding box of the base and check its corners for if it should be rendered in the first place, I think this would double as a performance optimisation too.
    Images: Close, Close-ish, Far-ish, Far, Really Far and for reference, Actual Base.
    Good ol' global root, always keeping base objects and vehicles loaded and rendered at all times.
    Fog should be covering it up though.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Add Lifepod 5 to the rendering distance bug (in the daytime, you can see the bottom of that thing underwater from inside the Seamoth at over 500m).
    Last I saw the lifepod was not in global root so that may be an unrelated problem.
  • LordBrisingrLordBrisingr Join Date: 2018-01-05 Member: 234829Members
    After i visited the auroa, the bow wreckage is always loaded up. Really breaks immerision when i step out of my base over 1000m away, and see the bow plain as day through sediment and vines.
  • Inny78Inny78 France Join Date: 2017-11-02 Member: 233820Members
    The Aurora bow has been fixed in experimental.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2018
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    Good ol' global root, always keeping base objects and vehicles loaded and rendered at all times.
    Fog should be covering it up though.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Last I saw the lifepod was not in global root so that may be an unrelated problem.

Might be this: (but really, how far away is it supposed to render?)
    58118	/main	2017-12-19 19:08:46	Liam Tart	increasing light emissive value in base, was too dark before and didnt look bright enough. decreased emissive on underneath of lifepod, was too bright before.