Mod support?

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
I see a check-in on Dec 30 mentioning mod support. Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well at least link us up with the exact card. On the Subnautica roadmap Trello board I assume?
  • suspensionrailwaysuspensionrailway the best country Join Date: 2017-11-01 Member: 233804Members
    edited January 2018
    I think he may be referring to this https://trello.com/c/wBm21D1o/6765-review-mod-support-branch
    Very interesting indeed. According to Jonas, they're looking to add some very simple mod support, ie automatically loading mod dlls. Nothing too crazy. This means that we won't need to patch the main game dll every update anymore for our mod loaders which is great. We probably won't see this actually added until post 1.0 though so don't get your hopes up. Note that this doesn't mean they're planning workshop support or something crazy. If anything the workshop would just make modding harder.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    @suspensionrailway Correct. And they made a check-in to the main trunk on Dec 30th related to this, so I thought it might be enabled now.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I imagine modding on Xbox, although it's been done (Fallout 4 etc), would be a nightmare for Subnautica and not feasible? Or is there a way around that? Like, if the multiplayer mod got popular enough, would it be possible to certify the mod with Microsoft and use it on the Xbox version of Subnautica?
    @0X6A7232 It would be very difficult. The mod support approach above requires a DLL -- and I imagine all DLLs on XBox would have to be signed by UWE/MS.

For XBox, the only reasonable option would be for UWE to provide a scripting interface, that could be loaded via modified savegame files or something. Even this, however, is unlikely.
  • suspensionrailwaysuspensionrailway the best country Join Date: 2017-11-01 Member: 233804Members
    edited January 2018
    Racer1 wrote: »
    @0X6A7232 It would be very difficult. The mod support approach above requires a DLL -- and I imagine all DLLs on XBox would have to be signed by UWE/MS.

For XBox, the only reasonable option would be for UWE to provide a scripting interface, that could be loaded via modified savegame files or something. Even this, however, is unlikely.

Exactly correct. Also, these guidelines make any kind of workshop support a massive undertaking that would requiring writing an entire modding API that restricts stuff like reflection which is a c# feature that lets us manipulate and edit existing code to a certain degree. The devs simply do not have the time and resources to do it. I'm sure someone will come up with minecraft forge for subnautica though, so I wouldn't be worried.

And that checkin seems to have completely disappeared. From what I'm told, the original prototype for mod loading was more complicated than anyone was expected, so they're pushing it to post 1.0. Man I can't wait to see what they have in store!
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Even if it's just simple mod support planned for now, that's still one small step forward to potentially very big changes for an already great game. Here's looking forward to seeing where this takes us!
    And that checkin seems to have completely disappeared. From what I'm told, the original prototype for mod loading was more complicated than anyone was expected, so they're pushing it to post 1.0. Man I can't wait to see what they have in store!

I knew I saw a checkin on the 30th. Interesting.

I still think a scripting framework that allows for the "low hanging fruit" to be moddable could be done by UWE without major effort. I agree that adding "comprehensive" modding is out of the question for now - and will likely only happen if the Subnautica official launch (especially on XBox) brings in truckloads of more cash.
  • stonedmonkeyboystonedmonkeyboy UK Join Date: 2019-12-06 Member: 256182Members
    I know this thread is old apologies, but I only just joined so am unable to start a topic yet. I have just got into Subnautica and after 40 odd hours of play am really enjoying the game. I have been thinking about how feasible it is to add my own base pieces to the game not so much interactive Items but I would like to have more variation in building pieces the artwork side is not something Im worried about learning but I dont script so well (can butcher them not so great at starting from scratch) is there or does anybody have a script framework for adding new artwork to the game that they would be willing to let me have a look at and maybe adjust to what id like to accomplish I have looked around (Ive been doing allot of googling) but in all honesty do not know where to start ideally Id like to have a look at a base game assets to see how it was done but have been unable to locate the base sections in the game files. Again sorry for necroing the thread.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @stonedmonkeyboy the advise below should serve you as well I believe:
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    jdawg1351 wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Fix is to find the bug and patch it. If they don't know where it is in the code, and it's not causing a hard crash, it's probably on the back burner. Perhaps they could use a bug bounty system, but I'm not sure how that would work with the source code for the game.

You seem quite knowledgeable about the game. Could you please point me to where the cyclops files are?

It's an external knowledge, not an internal one; I don't know how to code. If you wanted to go bug hunting, and know how to code, I'd suggest asking the modding guys where you could start.
    Join the official Subnautica Discord server: https://discord.gg/subnautica Then click the #subnautica-modding channel on the left, which will give you a link to join the Subnautica Modding Discord and also the Subnautica Multiplayer Mod (Nitrox) Discord servers.