A brute force method for turning off base lights

ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
This is for those who like building in the darker places like the Floating Islands, Grand Reef or the Lava Zone and hate the annoying reflections on some of the glass base windows. To turn off the lights, you need to build a corridor walled off with a bulkhead. This will be deliberately flooded, and that will turn off all the base lights - and the bulkhead will prevent any water from getting in the main base. This can be used for extra support as well - there is no reason not to put on supports on all sides since it won't be used for anything but lighting control.

To flood the corridor, you can either hit it with the Cyclops (it won't damage the Cyclops), or you can drill it with the Prawn. That will put in holes and flood the corridor, but leave the rest of the base untouched, except for the lights being turned off! If you decide you want them back, it's as simple as going in and fixing the holes. I like making a hatch on the control corridor to the outside, so it's easy to get in without letting water into the main base.

It's may be a hack, but it works. Until and if they ever give us light switches, this will do the job and let you see out without the irritating reflections getting in the way.

I hope that this helps those who would like a little more control over lighting - and like looking outside!

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Nice. I quoted you on this in the newbie tips thread
  • mortemasmortemas NYC Join Date: 2017-12-27 Member: 234625Members
    Interesting! I'll have to give this a try tonight.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    That's a surprisingly cool solution. I'll try it eventually.
  • Hammy2211Hammy2211 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223218Members
    I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one who does this. Although personally I like using the camera drones from the scanner room because I find it mildly amusing. :P
  • leegholsonleegholson Clearlake, CA Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234806Members
    You can even lay a corridor section on a foundation platform and damage it. Don't need bulkheads ;)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2018
    Brute force hmm, clearly you and I have different opinions on that term. I expected firing the doomsday gun at your base to switch of the lights
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Brute force hmm, clearly you and I have different opinions on that term. I expected firing the doomsday gun at your base to switch of the lights

I have a feeling that would do just a little bit more than turn off the lights...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2018
    gamer1000k wrote: »

I have a feeling that would do just a little bit more than turn off the lights...

It's the end result that counts, no one has time to ponder unexpected consequences!
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members

It's the end result that counts, no one has time to ponder unexpected consequences!

Perhaps a bit of extrapolation of what happens immediately after the lights go out. :)
    Jacke wrote: »

Perhaps a bit of extrapolation of what happens immediately after the lights go out. :)

Sorry, what was that? Speak up boi, I already pushed the button *ahem* light switch \o/