In VR can't enter hatches or vehicles without losing controls Build: 2352871

dexxfmdexxfm Join Date: 2017-12-05 Member: 234245Members
edited December 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
So I've run into a weird problem that i've confirmed I don't see when playing in non-VR mode. In VR, when i enter the seamoth or try to use a hatch in the habitat, the controls freeze. What i mean is that instead of entering the seamoth or entering the hatch, the character sits there, like it's waiting for an animation to start, and I can't move, open a menu, nothing. This seems to happen on both a keyboard and gamepad. I end up having to close the game by ending the process in task manager.

I tried opening the game in regular mode (non-VR) and it worked fine. I entered and exiting the seamoth several times while moving through hatches into and out of the habitat with no problem. It makes VR unplayable as the game still runs. I ran out of oxygen and died while this was happening because I couldn't enter the habitat.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    dexxfm wrote: »
    I tried opening the game in 2D and it worked fine.

Next-gen underwater platformer!
  • dexxfmdexxfm Join Date: 2017-12-05 Member: 234245Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    dexxfm wrote: »
    I tried opening the game in 2D and it worked fine.

Next-gen underwater platformer!

How about in meatspace? Non-VR? I dunno 2D is wrong but it's what came to me at the time. XD
    Regular or non-VR mode.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Regular or non-VR mode.

Ok non-VR mode. I've updated my post to make it clear. It's still an annoying problem. :(
  • adwestadwest Join Date: 2017-12-16 Member: 234451Members
    Having a similar problem to this but worse - my controls freeze in VR (Xbox 360 controller that came with Oculus Rift) whenever I press the use (A) button. This means to enter/exit vehicles/pods/stations, open bins, use the fabricator, etc my controls will freeze. Unsure what caused it because I did not have this problem when I last played about a month ago.
    adwest wrote: »
    Having a similar problem to this but worse - my controls freeze in VR (Xbox 360 controller that came with Oculus Rift) whenever I press the use (A) button. This means to enter/exit vehicles/pods/stations, open bins, use the fabricator, etc my controls will freeze. Unsure what caused it because I did not have this problem when I last played about a month ago.

Try it outside of VR and see if you have the same problem. I found that I didn't.
  • aman101aman101 Join Date: 2018-01-02 Member: 234748Members
    Having the same issue with VR mode for Oculus Rift via Steam or Oculus Store. My issue is after a few minutes of playing and after an action (pressing the (A) button ) the controller (Xbox Controller) completely locks up. Game is not frozen it just acts like it lost the connection to the controller. Really disappointing because I am enjoying the few minutes I was able to play in VR. Is this a bug that is known??? Anyone know how to fix it other than not playing in VR mode??
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    aman101 wrote: »
    Having the same issue with VR mode for Oculus Rift via Steam or Oculus Store. My issue is after a few minutes of playing and after an action (pressing the (A) button ) the controller (Xbox Controller) completely locks up. Game is not frozen it just acts like it lost the connection to the controller. Really disappointing because I am enjoying the few minutes I was able to play in VR. Is this a bug that is known??? Anyone know how to fix it other than not playing in VR mode??

Are you playing with the new Dashboard?
    This was before that. It has stopped for me. I dunno if it was addressed in an update or what, but i'll keep a lookout.
    Not sure what the "New Dashboard" is. I downloaded Subnautica from the Oculus Store on Dec 31st. Assumed I was playing the latest version. I also bout it from Steam to see if it was any different and did Experimental mode but had the same issue. The controls stop working within 5 min of playing the game and usually ager some action of picking something up (Using the (A) button on Xbox wireless controller).
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    aman101 wrote: »
    Not sure what the "New Dashboard" is. I downloaded Subnautica from the Oculus Store on Dec 31st. Assumed I was playing the latest version. I also bout it from Steam to see if it was any different and did Experimental mode but had the same issue. The controls stop working within 5 min of playing the game and usually ager some action of picking something up (Using the (A) button on Xbox wireless controller).

Oculus are releasing a new Dashboard for Oculus Home soon, it's in public beta.

I tried on my Rift and had no issue with a 360 or XboxOne controller. Very strange. Will try to see if I can get it to happen.
    I am using the new Home screen. Let me know if there is any log file or configuration I can send. I am really excited to play it but frustrated that it is a very consistent issue regardless if I play the version in Steam or the version I bought in the Oculus store.
  • jbescupjbescup United States Join Date: 2018-01-06 Member: 234840Members
    edited January 2018
    Created an account here to report that I have the same problem as described: in VR mode, using Oculus Rift and Xbox One controller, when I press A or right trigger to use an item I lose all input capability. Mouse, keyboard, controller, everything just stops working for like 30 seconds then it starts working again. The game itself doesn't freeze, so I can still get attacked and lose oxygen, yet I cannot move or do anything other than look around. This is a very frustrating bug because I want to play in VR and this game is amazing. I am opted into the oculus beta for home, if that makes any impact. Hopefully this gets patched soon because I love the game and this is a real pain.
  • fade_026fade_026 Join Date: 2018-01-09 Member: 234912Members
    Same issue here, using Occulus and the Steam Controller. The issue seems to occur when I press right trigger.
  • jbescupjbescup United States Join Date: 2018-01-06 Member: 234840Members
    Anyone figure out what causes this or if there is a way to overcome it? This is killin' me man. I'm itching to play the game and it's unplayable with this glitch....
    edited January 2018
    Can probably get around it with vJoy + UJR or similar. See here
  • JorriJorri Rotterdam Join Date: 2018-01-26 Member: 235817Members
    edited January 2018
    Hi, I seem to have the same problem. After just a few minutes or a minute of gameplay (it doesn't happen immediately after loading a game), pressing the right trigger makes all controls freeze.

Im using Oculus with a 360 controller. I removed the batteries from the touch controllers to prevent conflict. I had the Oculus dashboard in beta mode and turned that off, which didn't make a difference. I alt-entered the window on my monitor to make it full screen and that didn't matter either.

I can fix it by removing the headset and doing some random clicking around. Pressing the right trigger once will freeze controls again (effectively making the game unplayable in VR).

Edit: it seems to be a problem with the inventory quickslots, a screenshot from my monitor view shows that when my controls freeze in VR, I seem to have grabber one of the quickslot items with my mouse and my controller won't respond until I've reassigned this item to the quickslot bar.

Edit2: it happens consistently with the knife, and sometimes when I'm using the bladder

• LunarLobLunarLob United States Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235976Members
    edited January 2018
    I have the same issue with default controls on the Xbox 360 controller. I am playing on the Vive.

Pressing the right trigger button, e.g. when using the knife, consistently makes me lose control. Clicking the mouse recaptures control, but of course I can't keep doing that.

One workaround I've found is to use the gaze based cursor, but I find it a bit annoying to use.

Interestingly, I think this started around the time I increased the supersampling setting in Steam VR. I tweaked it again and the issue stopped, at least for now. Not sure if it's a coincidence or a cause.

Edit: OK this is bizarre... if I set Supersampling to 1.2, I immediately encounter this bug. If I set it to something else, e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.3, or 1.4 it does not occur. It seems like this would be completely unrelated, yet I can consistently reproduce this behavior.
  • JorriJorri Rotterdam Join Date: 2018-01-26 Member: 235817Members
    Nice find. It didn't work for me, unfortunately. Steam VR isn't really accessible from Subnautica, but I still turned it down to 1 in the Steam VR advanced settings and that made no difference. The problem still appears, and still only after a minute or so. It definitely seems related to mouse control and to the quickslots, to me.

I'm glad it worked for you, though!
  • mattiaspihlmattiaspihl Sweden Join Date: 2018-01-28 Member: 236087Members
    I have the same problem, playing with Vive and Steam controller does not work. Controller stops working when I press button A. I think my problems started after I changed my grafix card to Gtx 1080 TI (from 780 TI).