Mods?

IxchelAvianIxchelAvian United States Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224798Members
I don't know if this has been discussed already or not but I am curious.
Would it at all be possible to have this game me moddable? That way the team can focus on getting the base of the game done and anything extra that inst necessary but desirable could be done by the community in the form of a mod?

I see many wonderful ideas for subnautica but of course they all cant be put into the game. Plus some people like this idea and dont like that idea. If we could make mods then people could make mods that they wanted to see in the game.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Has been suggested many times and we definitely have a lot of interest in that. Something like Steam workshop support, however the devs have not yet said anything substantial on mod support. Other than they're not really enthusiastic in supporting a mod framework. And even if they do decide to have mod support, that stuff is going to be way past the v1.0 release

The multiplayer mod is a thing though, but that has been done without engine access and probably some roundabout ways to get it to work
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    "Other than they're not really enthusiastic in supporting a mod framework." Why? Difficulty with the unity engine being crappy for mod support? Or ego?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    From what I've heard from the devs and knowledgeable peeps. Support requires resources and time, both of which they don't have available right now. And there's probably issues with how Subnautica is built right now, making mods rather hard to implement.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    From what I've heard from the devs and knowledgeable peeps. Support requires resources and time, both of which they don't have available right now. And there's probably issues with how Subnautica is built right now, making mods rather hard to implement.

Well said! I was going to say the same thing. Many games with Mod support have large teams and/or were designed for modding from the very start.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Right, not 20-man teams. That being said, mod support is the best way to ensure longevity, and you dramatically increase replayability, as long as modder and player interest remains.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Right, not 20-man teams. That being said, mod support is the best way to ensure longevity, and you dramatically increase replayability, as long as modder and player interest remains.

If there's a will, then there's a way. But right now they don't have the will for it, since they really want to get this game polished up and finished - rather than put it off for another sixteen months by sidetracking themselves with every other cool idea that pops up on the forums or in their own discussions. Once the dust has settled and the game's been out for a while and they've had the time to sigh a breath of relief after many months of long and difficult work, THEN they can turn their attention towards considering if things like this are something they'd like to look into.

With that said, I'd love to see some things like that. At the very least a map editing tool and/or access to recipes, maybe just being able to tweak numbers on things like the oxygen in tanks or how deep a vehicle can go. We could carve out and sculpt our own biomes and do quite a lot with what's already in the game - extend the map, more caves, another island...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

If there's a will, then there's a way. But right now they don't have the will for it, since they really want to get this game polished up and finished - rather than put it off for another sixteen months by sidetracking themselves with every other cool idea that pops up on the forums or in their own discussions. Once the dust has settled and the game's been out for a while and they've had the time to sigh a breath of relief after many months of long and difficult work, THEN they can turn their attention towards considering if things like this are something they'd like to look into.

With that said, I'd love to see some things like that. At the very least a map editing tool and/or access to recipes, maybe just being able to tweak numbers on things like the oxygen in tanks or how deep a vehicle can go. We could carve out and sculpt our own biomes and do quite a lot with what's already in the game - extend the map, more caves, another island...

...add the terraformer back in for those systems that can handle it... wink.gif
  • FlamingChickenWingsFlamingChickenWings Netherlands Join Date: 2017-10-27 Member: 233751Members
    Subnautica seems like the perfect game to include mod support. It's great fun, but it sparks your imagination more than the devs themselves can really deliver, and over time disappoints because of it. When I'm base building, I keep wanting more possibilities, less restrictions, I keep running into tiny issues that limit my creativity, but the reason I feel that way is because the game tickles me to imagine more than it can deliver.

Similar to exploring. At first the whole world is huge and scary. Swimming into open water can mean all sorts of things. I remember being both terrified yet mesmerized when I saw the reefbacks for the first time (they're still my favorite creature, by the way). After a while though, you've pretty much met everything you're gonna encounter.

The ability to install mods would widen the scope of the game to pretty much whatever the community wants. You can basically continually have this experience of endless possibilities. I understand that, depending on how the game is built up under the hood it would take a lot of errort to add it in retroactively, but I think Subnautica is the kind of game where mod support can lift it from a cool adventure game to a lifestyle game, and that might very well be worth it.

Little addendum: I wouldn't mind funding some kind of crowd source campaign to make this happen. I'm invested and excited enough about this game to help push it to, what seems to me, it's full potential. Or perhaps special merch to support the feature (reefback shaped pillow/pluchee? :D )
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    I would LOVE mod support in this game, I'm hoping they consider supporting it after 1.0
  • BylliGoatBylliGoat United States Join Date: 2017-11-25 Member: 234114Members
    edited November 2017
    My personal opinion is that any base building / resource management type game should have mod support, ESPECIALLY those that are developed by a small team. Kerbal Space Program and Factorio are perfect examples of already fantastic games developed by small teams that were made extraordinary by the modding community. There are many features in both of those games that were initially developed and implemented by the community fans. In fact, Factorio was inspired directly by Minecraft mods in the first place.

I've seen posts just on this forum with suggestions that include full 3D concept models already, even though they cannot be implemented.

I'm sure it would be a lot of upfront work to include mod support, but the benefits would be felt on both sides.

Unfortunately, one of the first mods released for the game would invariably be weapons. I honestly wonder if this is part of why they haven't given more consideration to mod support. Even though I'd be frustrated with seeing those kinds of mods as well, I know that the highest quality mods would remain in the spirit of Subnautica's ethos. For example, Kerbal Space Program has mods that add deployable weaponry despite the peaceful nature of the game, but the mods that everyone actually uses add things like robotics or life support systems that fit perfectly in line with the core mechanics while offering an enjoyable challenge of complex problem solving.

I can only imagine what kind of mods would be implemented for a game like Subnautica. It kills me a little bit inside over the lost potential here.
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    Surprisingly, there are some mods already out there, mods would create endless possiblities when There is a reliable source to get it (steam workshop, Nexus mods) and not adding mod support would be bad in every angle. Mods keep games like subnautica fun and "alive" while a lot of people would be pissed if mod support doesn't get added, including me.
  • suspensionrailwaysuspensionrailway the best country Join Date: 2017-11-01 Member: 233804Members
    Pssh who needs mod support, I sure don't. If people want to make mods, there's absolutely nothing that can stop them.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Modding of games is the future. You want you game to remain actual and popular for years to come? allow the community to create mods for it and its a win/win scenario. deny your community the means to do it is a wasted opportunity to make your gem shine, in my opinion
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    Pssh who needs mod support, I sure don't. If people want to make mods, there's absolutely nothing that can stop them.

Agree AND Disagree. It's true that, as already seen in other posts, you don't need proper mod support for mods. But it would make thing more accessible for people which aren't so dedicated in modding/subnautica and make the process more faster allowing much better and more mods. Also installing the mods to the game wouldn't be so complicated :(
    edited December 2017

Well then, let met just slap you around a bit, because this is exactly the same attitude the "big game developers" have right now. Because modding tends to prolong the life expectancy of a game. Which, according to them is bad for business as they are indeed in the uninspired quota business of releasing cookiecutter games every year.

Modding goes a lot deeper then just "I want a mod for X" bit from gamers. We would not have games like Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Natural Selection, Desert Combat, Forgotten Hope, Fallout/Oblivion Nexus website and games inspired from those etc, if modding was made a lot harder. Don't get me wrong, modders will find a way if they really want to. But wouldn't it be better, if we had more of the GoldSrc, BF1942, Refractor and Gamebryo engines types, these were so easy to mod, kinda like they were made for modding. However in this day and age, they keep locking out engines from modding, making modding significantly harder...

The thing is, most indie gaming companies originate from modding or at the very least they learn from modding to step into game design later on. It also opens up the door to a lot of innovation and pioneering of ideas in game design. And Steam Workshop support makes the whole installing and modding thing a lot easier for both modders and players, not to mention the free publicity for both the game and the mods being exposed to the Steam market. Ultimately giving gamers in general much cooler and nicer stuff to get into. So yeah, even you are indeed also playing games influenced by mods and the likes :)

However, a game has to be made from the ground up to have this kind of support for modding to make it this easy. Or it would take a lot more work to get it to that mod support status. Seems Subnautica is already too complex to add proper mod support at this time, what with the imminent release date for the Gold version
  • trtlmantrtlman Join Date: 2017-12-17 Member: 234477Members
    edited December 2017
    Use the console, it’s not exactly mods but there are some fun cheats.
  • suspensionrailwaysuspensionrailway the best country Join Date: 2017-11-01 Member: 233804Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Well then, let met just slap you around a bit, because this is exactly the same attitude the "big game developers" have right now. Because modding tends to prolong the life expectancy of a game. Which, according to them is bad for business as they are indeed in the uninspired quota business of releasing cookiecutter games every year.

Modding goes a lot deeper then just "I want a mod for X" bit from gamers. We would not have games like Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Natural Selection, Desert Combat, Forgotten Hope, Fallout/Oblivion Nexus website and games inspired from those etc, if modding was made a lot harder. Don't get me wrong, modders will find a way if they really want to. But wouldn't it be better, if we had more of the GoldSrc, BF1942, Refractor and Gamebryo engines types, these were so easy to mod, kinda like they were made for modding. However in this day and age, they keep locking out engines from modding, making modding significantly harder...

The thing is, most indie gaming companies originate from modding or at the very least they learn from modding to step into game design later on. It also opens up the door to a lot of innovation and pioneering of ideas in game design. And Steam Workshop support makes the whole installing and modding thing a lot easier for both modders and players, not to mention the free publicity for both the game and the mods being exposed to the Steam market. Ultimately giving gamers in general much cooler and nicer stuff to get into. So yeah, even you are indeed also playing games influenced by mods and the likes :)

However, a game has to be made from the ground up to have this kind of support for modding to make it this easy. Or it would take a lot more work to get it to that mod support status. Seems Subnautica is already too complex to add proper mod support at this time, what with the imminent release date for the Gold version

I agree. Modding is prohibitively difficult right now and requires a lot more skill than the average c# or unity developer would have. There's about 12 people in the modding community who actually have what it takes, and most of them are preoccupied with real life obligations, or the nitrox mod. I'm personally trying to make a mod loader that will hopefully make modding more accessible to more people, kind of like minecraft forge but for subnautica (and less polished :tongue:) But it's a tall order. I doubt we'll ever get a modding API good enough to be workshop compatible while satisfying all the things devs would want to add. Some of us were actually considering the idea of a modding idea to help new modders, but that's still in the works.
    But just in case anyone reading this is till interested in learning how to mod here's what you want to know:
    C#, Unity in C#, the CIL language and how it relates to C#, cecil, and how to inject CIL into compiled net assemblies.
    Join the modding discord for more information!