So tired of being forced to Marine

MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
edited December 2017 in NS2 General Discussion
Shuffle desperately needs to be tweaked so that it doesn't force people on the team they hate 3,4,5,6+ times in a row!!!

Just now tried to play, got to join the Alien team for the game in progress (which only lasted about 6-7 min longer) then was subsequently forced by shuffle to play Marine for 3 games in a row.

This after yesterday where I was forced onto the Marine team a staggering 5 games in a row!!

There's just no point even trying to play when all I do is run around dying repeatedly, ending every game at the bottom of the scoreboard with the worst accuracy on the team by far (avg 5-10% I often get harassed over it) Especially when I might only have 2 hours to play, I get 20 min of fun on Alien and an 1 hour 40 min of pure hell on Marine...

Why can't we have something built into shuffle like the !switch feature from Tactical Gamer? (type !switch if you want the other team, if someone else wants to switch with you they can by typing !switch) This not only lets people switch off of the team they hate (so often when I'm forced Marine there's someone on Alien complaining about not being able to play Marine!) but it also allows people to manually fix flaws that pop up in some shuffles (like when two 4k hive players get placed on one team with all 2k's and below on the other)

Sorry if I'm ranting a little but I really think doing something to fix this problem could only help to improve the game for everyone. Especially those of us who greatly prefer one side over the other.

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Or have it less likely to swap you if you've been forced to a different team several times in a row.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2017
    Sounds like what we need is a "swap species" vote. Don't like that you're being forced to the same team? Well maybe enough other people feel the same way, or are neutral enough to not mind swapping. Erm, that is to say, it'd swap all marines to aliens and all aliens to marines.
  • peblpebl Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212816Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    This after yesterday where I was forced onto the Marine team a staggering 5 games in a row!!
    There is nothing staggering in a 5 streak, it is actually very much expected.
    It is actually one of the simplest test for whether random coin tosses are made by humans;
    They think streaks are staggering rare.

Assuming that you have played 1000 games, the probability for you having seen 10-streak is above 50%.

This information of course does not change that it is annoying when it happens; Just that in a "fair" shuffle this will happen.
  • SEKBlackhawkSEKBlackhawk Germany Join Date: 2013-12-22 Member: 190625Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Erm, that is to say, it'd swap all marines to aliens and all aliens to marines.

Guess what happens after that swap happened? Someone will be unhappy being swapped and initiate a vote....
    But also, why do we need a shuffle? People could make even teams with speaking to each other, but that's outdated somehow.....
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Guess what happens after that swap happened? Someone will be unhappy being swapped and initiate a vote....

But the majority has already decided at that point.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds like what we need is a "swap species" vote. Don't like that you're being forced to the same team? Well maybe enough other people feel the same way, or are neutral enough to not mind swapping. Erm, that is to say, it'd swap all marines to aliens and all aliens to marines.
    Or just add TGNS's 'switch' to Vanilla/NS2+

• BingoWingsBingoWings UK Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194253Members

But also, why do we need a shuffle? People could make even teams with speaking to each other, but that's outdated somehow.....

We need a shuffle because beforehand the alien team would be stacked 90% of the time. By "favourite" they mean "side I think I am better at" and I wish people would stop bellyaching about the result of a shuffle and just play the game at times. I was on a server earlier where it was just constant shuffle votes and then map changes because people weren't getting their way. It wasn't worth staying.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Foxy wrote: »
    Switch/swap was already a shine plugin, although within another mod. A shine plug in would make more sense, if it continued to exist as a mod. I would rather it be in vanilla though.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 for switch, it worked alright in TGNS
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    BingoWings wrote: »

We need a shuffle because beforehand the alien team would be stacked 90% of the time. By "favourite" they mean "side I think I am better at" and I wish people would stop bellyaching about the result of a shuffle and just play the game at times. I was on a server earlier where it was just constant shuffle votes and then map changes because people weren't getting their way. It wasn't worth staying.

When you only have an hour or two to play and shuffle sticks you on the team you HATE playing for 75% or more of that time... there's valid reason to complain.

It's just no fun at all in any way whatsoever for me to play marine, doing nothing but dying over and over, contributing nothing, sitting at the bottom of the scoreboard every single game.. I hate it SO much that if this shuffle crap had been in the game back when I bought it, I would've been refunding for sure.

At least on alien even if I'm up against a team of 4k+ marines I can still have fun and be useful to the team as a gorge...
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    You mean as a gardening gorge?
    edited December 2017
    Handschuh wrote: »
    You mean as a gardening gorge?
    Well of course, but with a lot of bile bombing and tunnels thrown in. (Not sure why that's relevant?) My point was that I can ALWAYS have fun on Alien, yet I have never once had even the slightest bit of fun playing Marine...
    Foxy wrote: »

This is literally all we need, TGNS 'switch' feature put into vanilla.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    ... yet I have never once had even the slightest bit of fun playing Marine...

Then you have yet to experience a good catpack/flamer rush x)
    edited December 2017
    .trixX. wrote: »

Oh sure I have, the problem is I'm always the first one to die. Not much fun waiting to spawn while your team wins.

Maybe if marines had an "engineer" support class it wouldn't be so agonizing. (marine wasn't so bad in NS2 combat because I could build stuff like obs/sentry guns)

But far far FAR easier to just incorporate TGNS 'switch into vanilla...
  • BingoWingsBingoWings UK Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194253Members
    BingoWings wrote: »

When you only have an hour or two to play and shuffle sticks you on the team you HATE playing for 75% or more of that time... there's valid reason to complain.

It's just no fun at all in any way whatsoever for me to play marine, doing nothing but dying over and over, contributing nothing, sitting at the bottom of the scoreboard every single game.. I hate it SO much that if this shuffle crap had been in the game back when I bought it, I would've been refunding for sure.

At least on alien even if I'm up against a team of 4k+ marines I can still have fun and be useful to the team as a gorge...

I think you need to reflect on why you "HATE" playing something because it's difficult for you and want others to accommodate this attitude.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    .trixX. wrote: »

Oh sure I have, the problem is I'm always the first one to die. Not much fun waiting to spawn while your team wins.

Maybe if marines had an "engineer" support class it wouldn't be so agonizing. (marine wasn't so bad in NS2 combat because I could build stuff like obs/sentry guns)

But far far FAR easier to just incorporate TGNS 'switch into vanilla...

Then don't participate in hive rushes, or stick to the back if you do.

Go hunt RTs, be the commanders build slave, defend phase gates or simply walk down unused lanes as early warning system.

If three of these jobs are covered, the chances of winning any pub game already increase a lot.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    While from a player point of view I can understand why people say you will have more fun as marine when you improve, I also know players who still enjoy being alien far more than marine (and vice versa) despite being good at both sides. So the game should provide an option for each player to play their prefered style. (which for some people is just alien). So a team switch function makes sense imo.

Apart from that it feels like that @MoFo1 likes to play support roles, which the marine side doesn't rly offer (apart from the commander but you need a thick skin for that)... unless you count the FT as support weapon.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2017
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Apart from that it feels like that @MoFo1 likes to play support roles, which the marine side doesn't rly offer (apart from the commander but you need a thick skin for that)... unless you count the FT as support weapon.

There's nothing quite like comming in a pub and then losing the round - everyone has an opinion on what mistakes the comm made and what they have done instead.
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Then don't participate in hive rushes, or stick to the back if you do.
    If I don't participate I get harassed and blamed if/when the rush fails. I also tend to stick to the back anyways (since I suck at Marine) yet I'm still one of the first to die.
    Go hunt RTs, be the commanders build slave, defend phase gates or simply walk down unused lanes as early warning system.
    If I try to be a "build slave" I end up being yelled at for "not doing anything"

If I try hunting RT's, on the rare occasions I actually get TO the RT without being discovered and killed, I rarely manage to do more than chip off a sliver of it's hp before a single skulk comes in and kills me. Kind of need to be able to kill Aliens in order to hunt RT's...

Same goes with defending phase gates, you need to be able to hit Aliens and get kills to defend. I jump through all the time guns blazing but it never accomplishes anything.

Ironically I actually can defend res nodes and phase gates if I'm already in the room camping and can ambush the Aliens biting it. I've had great success using this "smarter not harder" play style. I even got the defend 10 extractors achievement legit!! Also pinched so many lerks/fades/onos this way, and couldn't even guess how many ninja tunnel rushes I shut down.

For a short time playing Marine wasn't completely miserable and I felt like I was at least partially contributing, but unfortunately playing this way also led to me being harassed and vote kicked so often that I ended up uninstalling NS2 for like 6-8 months... So I literally can't play that way thanks to how toxic our lovely little community is.

So I can 'run n gun' with everyone else and just die over and over (and over and over) never accomplishing anything
    or
    I can defend, camp, ambush, kill skulks/gorges, pinch lerks/fades, spot/destroy ninja tunnels, warn about base rushes... and subsequently get harassed and votekicked for it...

No fun either way.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Wait what? Who the hell is vote kicking you because you're playing the game well? Need to take that up with whatever server op is running things... or find a better server.
    It's happened on various servers..

Usually one person starts raging that I'm "doing nothing" then they start the vote kick, then others see me camping/defending and I get yelled at to "move forward". I'll try to explain that I'm defending and I won't be able to do anything if I push forward. That's when the harassment starts and the kick votes roll in...

It's not a server specific thing. It's the NS2 community in general (too many elitists)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2017
    Sometimes being a meatshield during a crucial push is essential, if for example you were defending skylights when comm asks for all hands to push cargo, and skylights hasn't been under attack for 40+ seconds, I mean yeah even a meatshield may be better in that situation. That definitely would NOT be kick-worthy unless you start picking a fight with the commander. Do you pick fights when people ask you to do things? If not, and you get kicked anyways, that is a shitty server and must be avoided.

It's happened on various servers..

Usually one person starts raging that I'm "doing nothing" then they start the vote kick, then others see me camping/defending and I get yelled at to "move forward". I'll try to explain that I'm defending and I won't be able to do anything if I push forward. That's when the harassment starts and the kick votes roll in...

It's not a server specific thing. It's the NS2 community in general (too many elitists)

I suspect you're not being kicked because of how you play, but how you act.
    I find it hard to imagine that american servers are that consistently full of assholes, or that the world is out to specifically get you. If it smells like shit everywhere you go, check your shoe.
    Wait what? Who the hell is vote kicking you because you're playing the game well? Need to take that up with whatever server op is running things... or find a better server.

Pretty much this. Your average pubber has enough trouble telling where the enemies are and where they should go, never mind keeping tabs on the activity of their fellow marines.
    I suspect you're not being kicked because of how you play, but how you act.

I'd admit you could be right if it was a possibility, but I've even been harassed/vote kicked when all I did was type "all I'll be able to do is die" then subsequently leave my "doing nothing" ambush point and die a bunch.

Was even one time on mineshaft where I was running around literally nonstop with the team trying my best, and I got harassed by or comm and vote kicked for "sitting afk in central".. nobody believed that I was dying in other rooms (operations, crusher, deposit) and simply phasing to central each time I respawned.

I even complained about this toxic person on the forums and everyone under the sun (including their significant other) jumped in to defend.. I was labeled a 'troll' and like now everyone just assumed that I must've done something to deserve it, nobody wants to admit how toxic the community can be...

Just add TGNS 'switch' to vanilla and it becomes a non-issue. I've never once been harassed or vote kicked from Alien.

edited December 2017
    Also about listening to orders all the time

Take the following scenario, 1-2 skulks are biting C-12 res, I'm the only marine on that side of the map (in topo) and I move to defend/ambush when they move forward.

1) If I listen to others and "try to save the res" it's literally a guaranteed failure 99% of the time, then the skulks move forward and we lose topo too.

2) If I ignore the command and wait to ambush, I'm able to kill them and defend topo a good 80-85% of the time, then I can rebuild C-12, but my team yells at me and calls for kick votes.

If I do #1 I'm doing nothing, accomplishing nothing, and I get shamed at the end for my low acc... If I do #2 I'm getting harassed and/or vote kicked...

There is no way to win besides improving my aim by an insane margin overnight (which won't happen unless I magically get younger)

Edit: sorry for double post, I'm on my phone
    I have a hard time believing this, simply because no one else has ever complained about anything like that, and I'm sure they would have, since that sounds pretty egregious.

I also have literally never seen anybody kicked for low skill. Berated? Shit talked? Sure, all that stuff happens pretty regularly, although pretty much exclusively against people who do not acknowledge their team in any way, including voice and text chat, and don't seem to have a solid grasp of important concepts such as laneblocking.
    I only play on european servers, though.

Still, the common denominator here is you.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited December 2017
    Well if I see you camping in skylights on veil, I might think the same... because it's one rt and you can defend more than one by camping in west...

Anyway, you're playing the game pretty long, so you should have some experience...
    If you die against good players, thats fine, but you usually meet the average hobo with no clue how to engage properly.
    When you say you have 500 Hiveskill as marine, that means you have no mapawareness, zero aim and run like a lemming ... or you have 10 fps in this game... otherwise it's not possible to play that bad

A list only for you, since it's not the first time I've seen you play poorly
    1. Mapawareness (Use a transparent map [NS2+ Settings], that you can run on the map, even aim and still be fully aware what's happening) - you mostly just "camp" instead of getting into a position where you can literally trap the aliens
    2. "Walking through rooms" (Herakles explained that in that Video as well
      Some issues I saw you do or not do:
      1. you walk to close around corners... always imagine there is a skulk hiding.. how you approach it optimally
      2. you never do backwardsjumps... backwardsstrafejump by looking right (e.g. at a wall) -> aiming forward slowly AND press D (Rightbutton) at the same time and when you have speed jump... do that really fast before an engagement to get distance before you even see the skulk.
      3. You never "preaim" ... when you walk through Topo for example, always aim where a skulk is likely to pop up... like a) the vent or b) the door... always aim exactly where they probably show up... you don't need to aim to shoot them, you just need to "click"... ofc if you aim at a center in topo and a skulk pops up at the door or vent you need to readjust your aim.... and miss
      4. you're never proactive, you stand still and shoot or press the backwardsbutton (never do that - look at point 2); You should strafe or do stuff what you (should) do as a good skulk/fade(/even lerk) as a marine ... you can see that very well explained in the Video I linked
      5. Running to close to your mates / not preaiming them ... don't know if you noticed, but aliens are mostly meleefighter
        1) never ever stand close to eachother because if one skulk is on you (or your mate), if the skulk has no traveltime between you the other guy it's likely that you are not meatshield, rather a skulksshield because you block bullets and the skulk kills probably your mate because of your positioning
        2) when a marine is in front of you, always aim at his feet, or where skulks might attack him... this isn't counterstrike where you need to aim at your "headheight"
    3. Sound-Awareness... like mapwareness.... acting accordingly, getting in a good spot to fight, draw ppl away from the phasegate ... for example Systemgate is up, you hear 4 skulks, what do you do - you die on the spot... what would a smart player do, run (or rather backwardsjump) to a position to flank them - probably a bit to subsector or West-Entrance... to draw them away from the gate... you know when the skulks stop to bite the PG, they are STILL and you don't need to track, just shoot
    4. Shotgun: Shooting like a crazyman... the delay between shotgunshots is high, so don't waste shots, try to only shoot if they're close to you
      What you do: shoot (20-50 damage), skulks bite you / dancing around you, you shoot again -> miss -> die
      What decent ppl do -> wait till the skulks get close then shoot... especially in the air they're movement is so predictable... and often they literally they jump in your FACE ... if you shoot at that moment you need 0% aim and you still get 100% accuracy.... get one fullhit and take a 1-2 hits
    5. Never use ur axe, weaponswitchingtime is so fucking high, if you had your rifle out you wouldn't die like a lemming or do at least some damage or draw the aliens away... there is a difference between a sheep as a meatshield or a smartman - who draws the aliens as far away as possible and does a bit of damage
    So in the end, I don't know if you're just lazy or like a little child saying "NOOO I DON'T WANT THAT" or a stubborn old fool, but in the end I think everyone can get much better if they use their energy not to complain but work on themselves for once, since these are no magic tricks but things you would know yourself if you just tried to reflect your mistakes to more than that "my aim is bad".

Anyway, if there is a way to get a switch-button I'd like that as well ;-)
    edited December 2017
    Still, the common denominator here is you.

Innocent until proven guilty, shitting on this guy isn't really helping. Could be his fault, or maybe not. It doesn't really matter, since all he's really asking for is a better ability to switch teams so that he can avoid this kind of thing in the first place. Benefit of the doubt, ya know
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    @MoFo1 give this man a bloody "Switch Teams" button already! x)
This discussion has been closed.