So tired of being forced to Marine

13»

Comments

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited December 2017
    That's actually the compete opposite of my "modus operandi" as I literally never troll. Only times I'm even remotely mean is when I get sick of others being d-bags..

Oh and my original account was not banned... (in fact I don't think it ever even got a warning) I just forgot the pass and was having trouble with the e-mail it was linked to so it was easier to make a new one. Why would I have named it MoFo1 if I was trying to conceal who I was or circumvent a ban?

You can keep on making wild assumptions though.

Edit: I especially like the idiocy about me changing my steam name to hide so people won't dismiss my posts. As if steam doesn't update your name change on all your previous posts.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Do we limit it to only like hive skill players swapping? What do we do about that.

Yes.

There are two lists. One holds all players of team 1 that want to swap as well as their skills. One holds all players of team 2 that want to swap as well as their skills.
    If a player wants to swap, he presses some kind of button. He and his hive skill are added to his team's list and a notification is written in chat that Player X would like to swap teams.
    If there happens to be a player on the opposing team that would be willing to swap, he can press the same button. He and his hive skill get added to the list of his team.
    This process can happen an arbitrary number of times.

There are now two lists of people who want to swap as well as their associated hive scores. The server now tries to find pairs of players with sufficiently close skills on opposing teams to switch them around. I suggest a difference of 200 by default, and I also suggest that server operators can customize this value.
    If such a pair is found, they are switched around, and the server begins searching for the next pair. If there are triplets or the players otherwise don't match up, it's first come first serve. (Whoever entered the list first gets preferred switching treatment.)

I see two ways of implementing this.
    Option 1, the server constantly tries to match players as long as one of the two lists is non-empty. Problem: In edge cases this could lead to very imbalanced teams - if players of one team consistently switch with higher/lower skilled players of the other team.
    Option 2, the server waits for a certain time after the first switch request for the lists to fill. (Say, 30 seconds.) Then, all people are switched at once. This would essentially be an opt-in shuffle with boundary conditions. I sponatenously don't see any problems with this, so I suggest implementing this one.
    edited December 2017
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Do we limit it to only like hive skill players swapping? What do we do about that.

Yes.

There are two lists. One holds all players of team 1 that want to swap as well as their skills. One holds all players of team 2 that want to swap as well as their skills.
    If a player wants to swap, he presses some kind of button. He and his hive skill are added to his team's list and a notification is written in chat that Player X would like to swap teams.
    If there happens to be a player on the opposing team that would be willing to swap, he can press the same button. He and his hive skill get added to the list of his team.
    This process can happen an arbitrary number of times.

There are now two lists of people who want to swap as well as their associated hive scores. The server now tries to find pairs of players with sufficiently close skills on opposing teams to switch them around. I suggest a difference of 200 by default, and I also suggest that server operators can customize this value.
    If such a pair is found, they are switched around, and the server begins searching for the next pair. If there are triplets or the players otherwise don't match up, it's first come first serve. (Whoever entered the list first gets preferred switching treatment.)

I see two ways of implementing this.
    Option 1, the server constantly tries to match players as long as one of the two lists is non-empty. Problem: In edge cases this could lead to very imbalanced teams - if players of one team consistently switch with higher/lower skilled players of the other team.
    Option 2, the server waits for a certain time after the first switch request for the lists to fill. (Say, 30 seconds.) Then, all people are switched at once. This would essentially be an opt-in shuffle with boundary conditions. I sponatenously don't see any problems with this, so I suggest implementing this one.

From what my simple mind can grasp that sounds like it would work great.

Thanks for not jumping on the lets all hate MoFo bandwagon.

• HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Vetinari you need to consider, that there might be a inbalanced hiveskill in the firstplace. Like it's already 1,5k vs 2,2k... then you need to adjust this algorithm that it tries to use these swappings to get somehow even teams. So a 4k Player could potentially swap with a 2k in order to balance the teams
  • BingoWingsBingoWings UK Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194253Members
    Handschuh wrote: »
    Well if I see you camping in skylights on veil, I might think the same... because it's one rt and you can defend more than one by camping in west...

Anyway, you're playing the game pretty long, so you should have some experience...
    If you die against good players, thats fine, but you usually meet the average hobo with no clue how to engage properly.
    When you say you have 500 Hiveskill as marine, that means you have no mapawareness, zero aim and run like a lemming ... or you have 10 fps in this game... otherwise it's not possible to play that bad

A list only for you, since it's not the first time I've seen you play poorly
    1. Mapawareness (Use a transparent map [NS2+ Settings], that you can run on the map, even aim and still be fully aware what's happening) - you mostly just "camp" instead of getting into a position where you can literally trap the aliens
    2. "Walking through rooms" (Herakles explained that in that Video as well
      Some issues I saw you do or not do:
      1. you walk to close around corners... always imagine there is a skulk hiding.. how you approach it optimally
      2. you never do backwardsjumps... backwardsstrafejump by looking right (e.g. at a wall) -> aiming forward slowly AND press D (Rightbutton) at the same time and when you have speed jump... do that really fast before an engagement to get distance before you even see the skulk.
      3. You never "preaim" ... when you walk through Topo for example, always aim where a skulk is likely to pop up... like a) the vent or b) the door... always aim exactly where they probably show up... you don't need to aim to shoot them, you just need to "click"... ofc if you aim at a center in topo and a skulk pops up at the door or vent you need to readjust your aim.... and miss
      4. you're never proactive, you stand still and shoot or press the backwardsbutton (never do that - look at point 2); You should strafe or do stuff what you (should) do as a good skulk/fade(/even lerk) as a marine ... you can see that very well explained in the Video I linked
      5. Running to close to your mates / not preaiming them ... don't know if you noticed, but aliens are mostly meleefighter
        1) never ever stand close to eachother because if one skulk is on you (or your mate), if the skulk has no traveltime between you the other guy it's likely that you are not meatshield, rather a skulksshield because you block bullets and the skulk kills probably your mate because of your positioning
        2) when a marine is in front of you, always aim at his feet, or where skulks might attack him... this isn't counterstrike where you need to aim at your "headheight"
    3. Sound-Awareness... like mapwareness.... acting accordingly, getting in a good spot to fight, draw ppl away from the phasegate ... for example Systemgate is up, you hear 4 skulks, what do you do - you die on the spot... what would a smart player do, run (or rather backwardsjump) to a position to flank them - probably a bit to subsector or West-Entrance... to draw them away from the gate... you know when the skulks stop to bite the PG, they are STILL and you don't need to track, just shoot
    4. Shotgun: Shooting like a crazyman... the delay between shotgunshots is high, so don't waste shots, try to only shoot if they're close to you
      What you do: shoot (20-50 damage), skulks bite you / dancing around you, you shoot again -> miss -> die
      What decent ppl do -> wait till the skulks get close then shoot... especially in the air they're movement is so predictable... and often they literally they jump in your FACE ... if you shoot at that moment you need 0% aim and you still get 100% accuracy.... get one fullhit and take a 1-2 hits
    5. Never use ur axe, weaponswitchingtime is so fucking high, if you had your rifle out you wouldn't die like a lemming or do at least some damage or draw the aliens away... there is a difference between a sheep as a meatshield or a smartman - who draws the aliens as far away as possible and does a bit of damage
    So in the end, I don't know if you're just lazy or like a little child saying "NOOO I DON'T WANT THAT" or a stubborn old fool, but in the end I think everyone can get much better if they use their energy not to complain but work on themselves for once, since these are no magic tricks but things you would know yourself if you just tried to reflect your mistakes to more than that "my aim is bad".

Anyway, if there is a way to get a switch-button I'd like that as well ;-)

This wasn't directed at me but thanks for linking to the video series, it's very useful. I watched herakle's video and I had a better time of it last night after implementing his easier points :smile:
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Vetinari you need to consider, that there might be a inbalanced hiveskill in the firstplace. Like it's already 1,5k vs 2,2k... then you need to adjust this algorithm that it tries to use these swappings to get somehow even teams. So a 4k Player could potentially swap with a 2k in order to balance the teams

Good point! In this case I'd only enable switch votes if there's still a shuffle-lockdown going on (i.e. you cant F4).

If there isn't, teams aren't restricted, anyway, and people can just figure it out themselves via F4.
    Vetinari wrote: »

Good point! In this case I'd only enable switch votes if there's still a shuffle-lockdown going on (i.e. you cant F4).

If there isn't, teams aren't restricted, anyway, and people can just figure it out themselves via F4.

Well yeah the whole point is to have at least a chance to switch when you can't F4...
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Post an idea about switch/swapping teams here. I guess it's still monitored/used.
This discussion has been closed.