Development of the PDApp

Comments

• supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    Thanks for the force rotation
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    Also is there a way to update it without deleting everything?
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    edited November 2017

Download the new APK, and then press it and package installer should come up, asking if you want to update it. Your data should not be deleted.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Recursion wrote: »
    dasCKD wrote: »
    [*] Page redesign(databank, Camera, map(get zoom slider fill( @dasCKD , could you work on that please?)), inventory, main Hud, background)

Just to be sure, you would like me to create the icons for those as PNG files with transparent backgrounds, correct?

.PNG files, If you think they would benefit with transparency, Then put it in, if not, don't(and if you don't give it any transparency, you can export it as a .JPEG).

JPEG has compression artifacts, PNG won't - although it might be small enough not to see them, some might have large enough tablets that it would become visible. Also the color wouldn't be quite right maybe (I've seen the color change slightly when saving as JPEG before).
    In that case, Just save as .PNG @dasCKD .
    edited November 2017
    You can now delete beacons! Just tap on one and then press the "-" button next to the text input, and It will be deleted! Also, the page-showers now work(nearly) properly! They will show you where your pages are, and then you can rename them by going to that page, and using the text input on the handle! I still have one more bug to iron out on it however, but the hard bit's done. I also did a bit of work on page redesigning, and part of the inventory looks more PDA-like. I've also addeda few things into the bootupsequence, but I still don't quite like it. I would gladly welcome suggestions for backgrounds. Updated roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    • Implement something to show you which page you are on(fix bug with more than 4 pages, make all the page-showers work)
    • Implement notification system
    Bootup
    Map:
    • Distance from one beacon to another/from yourself to another beacon
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys
    • beacon deletion functionality
    Inventory
    Camera
    Databank
      Other:
      • Page redesign(databank, Camera, map(get zoom slider fill), inventory, main Hud, background)
      • Rewrite all the dialouge(Like the page giving credit to the devs)(ties in with updating welcome databank article)
      • Vertical use
        • databank
        • inventory(create toggle system for vertical)
        • main HUD
        • bootup
        • camera
        • map

Download the new APK, and then press it and package installer should come up, asking if you want to update it. Your data should not be deleted.

Thanks. Also vertical display no longer displays the map...good Job :)
      edited November 2017
      The main HUD is now finished! Now you can see where on the main scrollbar your pages are! You can also rename them(For example, you could name one inventory shopping, and another one stuff to do). I also did a bit of work on tracking journeys, but it's proving to be more difficult than I thought, because unity doesn't update the location after a fixed interval, so I'm having a bit of difficulty getting that to work. Also, @dasCKD , Today I was looking at the PDA concept art and found this:
      kg07pxuwo28q.png
      Do you think you could maybe base your background and main HUD designs off this(if, of course you want to do them)? Just a thought.
      Updated roadmap:
      Main Hud
      • Implement swiping
      • Implement something to show you which page you are on
      • Implement notification system
      Bootup
      Map:
      • List of beacons
      • Track journeys
      Inventory
      Camera
      Databank
        Other:
        • Page redesign(databank, Camera, map(get zoom slider fill), inventory, main Hud, background)
        • Rewrite all the dialouge(Like the page giving credit to the devs)(ties in with updating welcome databank article)
        • Vertical use
          • databank
          • main HUD
          • bootup
          • camera
          • map
        edited November 2017
        Now you can record a journey(however, currently you can only record one, and it doesn't save or load). Press the dive reel symbol to start the journey, and a new waypoint will be dropped whenever the location is updated(I find usually about 20-40 seconds, but you might have better coverage in your area), and A purple(I've tried to change the color, it isn't working) line will be drawn through the waypoints. When you've finished your journey, press the dive reel symbol again, and a box will come up asking whether you want to save your journey, continue it, or delete it. Currently you can only continue it or delete it, but I'm going to worksome more on it tomorrow, and I might do an update then.
        Updated polish roadmap:
        Main Hud
        Bootup
        Map:
        • List of beacons
        • Track journeys(save journey button)
        Inventory
        Camera
        Databank
          Other:
          • Vertical use
            • databank
            • main HUD
            • bootup
            • camera
            • map
          Updated release roadmap:
          • Test for bugs(inventory, main HUD, bootup, map, databank, camera)
          • create new system for personal databank articles(Create "new article" button, ditch "Save article "button)
          • Little nitpicks
          • delete inventory toggles
          • delete photos
          • have map tell distances for meters and yards
          • go overboard with accuracy of earths radius for map
          • streamline package(Change resolution and quality of sprites(so that they take up less space(Check editor log)), check all code, move sprites to different folders)
          • release video(If i have time, and don't want to put it up as soon as It is ready)
          • Release on google play(when everything is done and people think it is ready)
          Also, @0x6A7232 , Could I have your feedback on the main HUD?
          edited November 2017
          Just thought I'd update everyone, there will be an update later today, As I've finished the map, but I'm going to see what else I can fit in. Updated polish roadmap:
          Main Hud
          Bootup
          Map
          • List of beacons
          • Track journeys
          Inventory
          Camera
          Databank
            Other:
            • Vertical use
              • databank
              • main HUD
              • bootup
              • camera
              • map
          • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
            By the way, the concept art is very good. I would be more than happy if this is gonna be the main hud.
            edited November 2017
            You can now track journeys! Press the dive reel button to begin tracking, A new location will be recorded every time the location is updated, and a dive reel symbol(like a beacon, except different) will be dropped, and a line will be drawn from "Waypoint" to another. To finish the journey, press the dive reel symbol again, and press save journey or delete journey, to save or delete your journey data respectivley(The journeys also save/load). The vertical databank is also done. Updated polish roadmap:
            Main Hud
            Bootup
            Map
            Inventory
            Camera
            Databank
            Other:
            • Rewrite all the dialouge
            • Vertical use
              • databank
              • main HUD
              • bootup
              • camera
              • map
            @0x6A7232 , could I have your feedback on the map, and @dasCKD , could you post any art you've done for this(If you do want to do this, I'm not holding you to it)?
          • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
            When booting in vertical mode, you get a pink background, that gets replaced with a map from the map tab (might just be whatever tab is open; not sure). Can see map in vertical mode from the Inventory tab.

The camera bleeds into the UI in several locations (some of the text boxes in the map, by the factory reset button in Inventory and databank and map), and the camera orientation is wrong in camera view. Again, this is only in vertical mode.

As for the map, the zoom button could use a magnifying glass or other indicator to show people what it does. Also, oddly, when I zoom out, the surrounding area isn't populating.

Will check some more stuff later (I have to remember to try this during a trip).
            When booting in vertical mode, you get a pink background, that gets replaced with a map from the map tab (might just be whatever tab is open; not sure). Can see map in vertical mode from the Inventory tab.

The camera bleeds into the UI in several locations (some of the text boxes in the map, by the factory reset button in Inventory and databank and map), and the camera orientation is wrong in camera view. Again, this is only in vertical mode.

As for the map, the zoom button could use a magnifying glass or other indicator to show people what it does. Also, oddly, when I zoom out, the surrounding area isn't populating.

Will check some more stuff later (I have to remember to try this during a trip).

The vertical mode isn't finished. I'll make the handle a magnifying glass. I'll try to make the quad that the map is on bigger.
          • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
            Can't the quad auto-resize based on zoom level?
            edited November 2017
            Can't the quad auto-resize based on zoom level?

I just found this map thing on the unity asset store, It wasn't designed for zoom, journeys, or beacons(and that is also why it shows, regardless of the tab it's on. Its permanently in the background, so I just cover it up), so I just jerry-rigged, so it would be easier just to make the quad bigger.
          • dasCKDdasCKD Join Date: 2017-11-14 Member: 233978Members
            @Recursion Not to worry, I haven't forgotten you. I have some buttons done, the exams unfortunately didn't leave me as much time during the week as I would have preferred to work on it, so I mostly had to confine the work period during week ends. Nevertheless, here's what I have so far. I've also included some sketches of earlier concepts for you to review if you prefer them and I could make adjustments to most of the files quite quickly if the sizes are suboptimal for your purposes. I've done the main buttons, but I've put the construction of the secondary command buttons on hold for now pending your review of the existing designs. Please ignore anything in the notes where I wander off on an irrelevant path that doesn't really have anything to do with design, I do that sometimes and the notes aren't proofread.

It may also be better if the buttons outside of the navbar were made in script or in editor instead of in an image file both to save application data size and graphical processing power. If you still prefer images as the buttons however, just send me a list of all of the navigation and command buttons that the application will need. If you prefer using the editor over images, just tell me. I can begin picking out an appropriate font, image, color, and border set and send over the .ttf files which hopefully Unity will accept.
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=18LW9oEaHoqAecI-ouMhMbZZSbssAK20W
            dasCKD wrote: »
            @Recursion Not to worry, I haven't forgotten you. I have some buttons done, the exams unfortunately didn't leave me as much time during the week as I would have preferred to work on it, so I mostly had to confine the work period during week ends. Nevertheless, here's what I have so far. I've also included some sketches of earlier concepts for you to review if you prefer them and I could make adjustments to most of the files quite quickly if the sizes are suboptimal for your purposes. I've done the main buttons, but I've put the construction of the secondary command buttons on hold for now pending your review of the existing designs. Please ignore anything in the notes where I wander off on an irrelevant path that doesn't really have anything to do with design, I do that sometimes and the notes aren't proofread.

It may also be better if the buttons outside of the navbar were made in script or in editor instead of in an image file both to save application data size and graphical processing power. If you still prefer images as the buttons however, just send me a list of all of the navigation and command buttons that the application will need. If you prefer using the editor over images, just tell me. I can begin picking out an appropriate font, image, color, and border set and send over the .ttf files which hopefully Unity will accept.
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=18LW9oEaHoqAecI-ouMhMbZZSbssAK20W

Wowsers, that's good. I'll implement them tomorrow. I'm going to edit the page-shower sprite a bit, Because otherwise you won't be able to rename your pages. I'm not sure what you mean in saying that they should be made in the editor, because they are made in Unity editor(I'm not making them in scripts, because unity's OnGUI system is horribly outdated).
            edited November 2017
            @dasCKD , I have a new art list for you(Your last art was exceptional, looking forwards to seeing some more):
            • Add checkbox button in inventory
            • Checkbox sprite(The text appears on it)
            • inventory Item sprite
            • Checkmark sprite
            • generic dropdown sprite(like in the databank, and the map)
            • map zoom slider fill
            • vertical background(I might be able to reuse your horizontal background, so hold off on this one)
            thats all for now, Thanks for everything so far.
            @Recursion For the checkbox button and checkbox sprites, could you link me to some examples of what you would like? As for the inventory item sprite, is that for the empty placeholders for different icons or something else?
            edited November 2017
            @dasCKD , The inventory item sprite is this:
            y5y8iwqpblea.png
            if you switch the toggle to the right, then you can see them.
            for the toggle could you continue to go with the page-shower things like in this:
            qhahatah499r.png
            and could the tick mark/checkbox be something like:
            dnajp0d5v1yu.png
            And could you make the checkbox kind of circular to fit with the tick? thanks.
            EDIT: Don't worry about the vertical background, I rotated it 90 degrees and it looks fine. By the way, could you also do an text input field sprite please?
            edited November 2017
            The backgrounds are now done! they aren't just a single color block anymore, but look more like the PDA in game. I also finished up the vertical inventory, and now I'm just waiting for art. I also worked a bit on the vertical map, but I have a few canvas group issues to work out with that. Updated polish roadmap:
            Main Hud
            Bootup
            Map
            Inventory
            Camera
            Databank
            Other:
            • Page redesign(databank, Camera, map, inventory, main Hud, background)
            • Vertical use
              • databank(waiting on art)
              • inventory(waiting on art)
              • main HUD
              • bootup
              • camera
              • map
            I estimate that the PDApp might come out of polish this week or next week, depending on when @dasCKD does the remaining art.
            No update today because a bug in the databank has happened, and I can't discover anything that is wrong, so I've sent a bug report, and I'm hoping that something will happen soon.
            edited November 2017
            Never mind, actually, fixed it, I'll upload the update soon.
            the camera now Rotates to a vertical position! You can't use pictures with it yet, but I'm going to work on that a bit more tomorrow. I also fixed a databank bug, and sacrificed some map resolution to make the map a bit bigger.
            edited November 2017
            Thanks for the PDA feel
            d11dlghld4ig.png

Also the map displays in the background and I was wondering if you could fix that.
            Good job
            edited November 2017
            Thanks for the PDA feel
            d11dlghld4ig.png

Also the map displays in the background and I was wondering if you could fix that.
            Good job

First of all, thank @dasCKD for the art, not me. Secondly, What's your resolution? I've designed it for my own tablet(1024 x 600), but yours might be a bit different.
            edited November 2017
            Never mind this comment, I'm just updating the polish roadmap so It's a bit easier for me to see what has been done(and to get you excited about what's to come today).
            Main Hud
            Bootup
            Map
            Inventory
            Camera
            Databank
            Other:
            • Page redesign(databank, Camera, map, inventory, main Hud, background)
            • Vertical use
              • databank(waiting on art)
              • inventory(waiting on art)
              • main HUD
              • bootup(waiting on art)
              • camera
              • map(waiting on art)
            edited November 2017
            the new roadmap is just the one above this comment, so look at that for new information. Currently most of this depends on art, so @dasCKD , do you want me to move the art stuff into the release roadmap to give you a bit more time, or are you fine with it in the polish roadmap? Also, ignore all previous lists of what you need to do, Here is one final list:
            • map end journey buttons(save journey, delete journey, or continue journey)
            • icon that comes up when you press "factory reset"(the blue and orange one)
            • the "Dive in" button in the bootup
            • all text input fields
            • databank dropdown fields
            • keypad numbers
            • switch camera button
            • map zoom slider fill
            • factory reset button
            • inventory sprites
            • checkbox/checkmark
            • inventory toggle
            • add checkbox button
            • toggle for switching back and forth between inventory and checklist
            • inventory "delete toggle" button(not implemented yet)
            • camera "delete picture" button(not implemented yet)
            Thanks for all your art so far.
            @Recursion It does depend on how much time I can sequester from tomorrow's schedule. If you set the deadline for the sprites at the end of the upcoming sunday, I should have everything finished by then.