Mod to add "live" mapping to Subnautica (v0.10)

XzanronXzanron Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225299Members
I've created a mod that allows you to display a map in the Steam Overlay that can display various pieces of information.

Caveat 1: A lot of the game revolves around exploring, so using this map should be considered a spoilers.
Caveat 2: Should the devs ever decide to add some form of auto-map or other in-game map, I'll most likely retire this mod.

Motivation

I tend to get lost a lot in Subnautica. Exploring is great fun, but once I've found something, once I know where something is, I really want to be able to find it again. Beacons help a great deal, but for some things, like resources, when I don't have a beacon available or when I simply want to know which way to turn to get to a biome a map is invaluable.

If I were really trapped on 4546B I'd definitely be drawing a map, pinning it to wall in my cyclops, or drawing it in AlterraPaint on my PDA.

This mod is my personal answer to not having an in-game map. I'm making it available as I'm sure there must be at least one other person that would like an in-game (ish) map.

Capabilities

Update Feature List
  • Works in a web-browser (chrome), and hence in Steam Overlay.
  • Displays the current player position (icon, coords) and current biome
  • Displays all ping manager items on the map (beacons, signals, vessels)
  • Has multiple background layers (blank, biomes(default), lost river, etc).
  • Has a store of POIs, taken from the wiki, (off by default), for things like wrecks, degasi bases, vents etc. (very much spoilers, also probably out-of-date).
  • Displays a time of day indication. (v0.4)
  • Leviathan Spawn Locations map layer (v0.5)
  • Update wiki POIs (v0.5)
  • Can now switch layers automatically, e.g. for Lost River. (v0.6)
  • Support for Subnautica not in default Steam Library (0.7)
  • Improved Maps and more of them (0.8)
  • Displays player view direction (0.9)

mod-example-overlay.png

Where Can I Get It?

* You download the latest release from GitHub.
* Install and usage instructions are also on the Project Page.

Troubleshooting

The main project readme also includes some troubleshooting steps for reported issues.

Feedback welcome, please use GitHub for bug reports.

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    That looks very promising, i have to say :)

Its not just a map its more like a ''Waze'' system that adds ping icons over a crude map of the world which is something i like right off the bat. I'll keep following your work :smiley:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
  • XzanronXzanron Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225299Members
    If only I could figure out how to update my post... I'd not have to write this update in a comment.

as of v0.4 you now also have a day/night indicator.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Xzanron wrote: »
    If only I could figure out how to update my post... I'd not have to write this update in a comment.

There should be a cog at the top right of your post, next to the "praise" buttons
    Kouji_San wrote: »

There should be a cog at the top right of your post, next to the "praise" buttons

There was immediately after I wrote the post.. but it's not there any more.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Hi, could this be modified to export a list of beacon co-ordinates? I don't need the mapping in game, but I want to get the location of all of my bases (I have about 52).

Also, a cool idea for a mod would be an ability to export bases and transfer them between games.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Xzanron You have to have made a certain amount of posts and be a member for 30 days to edit your posts, I think the magic number was 15 now? So 2 more posts (I'm guessing OPs don't count?) Anyway, you should be near the tipping point for that.
    edited November 2017
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Hi, could this be modified to export a list of beacon co-ordinates? I don't need the mapping in game, but I want to get the location of all of my bases (I have about 52).

Also, a cool idea for a mod would be an ability to export bases and transfer them between games.

@Avimimus No need to update it, you can export beacon data already.

All the beacons/signals as JSON structure. Convert to whatever other format you desire as you please.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @Xzanron You have to have made a certain amount of posts and be a member for 30 days to edit your posts, I think the magic number was 15 now? So 2 more posts (I'm guessing OPs don't count?) Anyway, you should be near the tipping point for that.

Let's hope this tips me over ... :wink:
    edited November 2017

That anti-spambot policy is really... Cringeworthy!

@Xzanron, ask @Foxy for example to give you "advanced member" status, or whatever it was called. I think it was called that, probably, maybe, somehow :tongue:
    Kouji_San wrote: »

That anti-spambot policy is really... Cringeworthy!

@Xzanron, ask @Foxy for example to give you "advanced member" status, or whatever it was called. I think it was called that, probably, maybe, somehow :tongue:

@Kouji_San That last post tipped me over. So I'm good now, thanks.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Tried it out, installed just fine, but Steam keeps throwing a -102 error at me whenever I try entering the address provided into its browser while running the game. :(
    edited December 2017
    Rezca wrote: »
    Tried it out, installed just fine, but Steam keeps throwing a -102 error at me whenever I try entering the address provided into its browser while running the game. :(

@Rezca are you sure you're entering the correct URL? I suggest you copy and paste it:
    http://localhost:63030

You can also try opening that page in a normal browser (preferably chrome) and see if that also gives you an error (Subnautica MUST be running).

@Rezca are you sure you're entering the correct URL? I suggest you copy and paste it:

You can also try opening that page in a normal browser (preferably chrome) and see if that also gives you an error (Subnautica MUST be running).

Entered it exactly as that and even tried copy-pasting it too. I'll have to check the browser thing too when I get back to my laptop that has Subnautica on it.

I don't have Chrome though, just Firefox and Opera.

Entered it exactly as that and even tried copy-pasting it too. I'll have to check the browser thing too when I get back to my laptop that has Subnautica on it.

I don't have Chrome though, just Firefox and Opera.

Should work in Opera (uses chrome under the hood), but I've not tested it outside Chrome, as the Steam overlay uses the chrome rendering engine.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Try just entering the URL like this: "localhost:63030", which worked for me. The browser will figure out the rest.
    edited December 2017
    Jacke wrote: »
    Try just entering the URL like this: "localhost:63030", which worked for me. The browser will figure out the rest.

That worked! Every time I included the http:// part it'd return an error; but JUST typing in the localhost part made it load up just fine! :D

I's pretty awesome that the original Northern ILZ Corridor's pretty much intact and merely had the mouth of it relocated~ (And it might be my imagination, but the Scanner Room mapping out the entrance to it really kinda resembles the old Crash Zone opening in its shape and direction.) It's really cool seeing it fleshed out and detailed; shame the Dunes one had to be removed before it could be given similar love. Oh well, maybe someday we'll see map editing tools or something~
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

That worked! Every time I included the http:// part it'd return an error; but JUST typing in the localhost part made it load up just fine! :D

I's pretty awesome that the original Northern ILZ Corridor's pretty much intact and merely had the mouth of it relocated~ (And it might be my imagination, but the Scanner Room mapping out the entrance to it really kinda resembles the old Crash Zone opening in its shape and direction.) It's really cool seeing it fleshed out and detailed; shame the Dunes one had to be removed before it could be given similar love. Oh well, maybe someday we'll see map editing tools or something~

@Xzanron Might want to make a mention of this in the OP?

@Xzanron Might want to make a mention of this in the OP?

@0x6A7232 Thanks for reminding me. I've already added it to the readme's troubleshooting section. I'll also add a link to that from the OP.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited December 2017
    There's an issue with the installer. It doesn't work if people have steam games installed in two hard drive directories. It reads the first directory. But can't see the second. So I can't install the mod. Unless I missed a way to manually change the directory.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    There's an issue with the installer. It doesn't work if people have steam games installed in two hard drive directories. It reads the first directory. But can't see the second. So I can't install the mod. Unless I missed a way to manually change the directory.

@Hulkie2345 as of v0.7 is should handle that scenario. If the Subnautica directory doesn't exist in the default Steam Library, it should prompt you for the install location. Could it be that you moved the game at some point and the old folder still exists?
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Been waiting for something like this since I first played it back in March of 2015, glad to see someone finally made it happen :)
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

@Hulkie2345 as of v0.7 is should handle that scenario. If the Subnautica directory doesn't exist in the default Steam Library, it should prompt you for the install location. Could it be that you moved the game at some point and the old folder still exists?

Redownloading the mod again fixed the issue. Don't know why that happened.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I would love something like this. Beats having to haul lots of beacons around.
  • Junglist_Junglist_ United Kingdom Join Date: 2017-12-24 Member: 234579Members
    edited December 2017
    I like the looks of this unfortunately cant install it.
    When running the install app it says it found the Steam install directory and Subnautica directory on C drive but I have changed it to the D drive where all my Steam games are located and it is set as default.
    Is there any way to manually select the Subnautica install directory?
    Edit: Have attached the log. Path to my actual Subnautica folder is D :\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Subnautica
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Junglist_ wrote: »
    When running the install app it says it found the Steam install directory and Subnautica directory on C drive but I have changed it to the D drive where all my Steam games are located and it is set as default.
    Edit: Have attached the log. Path to my actual Subnautica folder is D :\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Subnautica

@Junglist_ I think it's getting confused because the path "c:/program files (x86)/steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica" still exists from where you had it previously installed. If you delete or rename that path, it should correctly detect your install on D drive.
  • Junglist_Junglist_ United Kingdom Join Date: 2017-12-24 Member: 234579Members

@Junglist_ I think it's getting confused because the path "c:/program files (x86)/steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica" still exists from where you had it previously installed. If you delete or rename that path, it should correctly detect your install on D drive.

Thanks for your fast reply. I have deleted the Subnautica folder that was on C drive. Then I have launched the WatcherInstaller. Now a window popped up, telling me to manually choose m SUbnautica folder. I have done that but when I clicked 'OK' the window disappeared and no other window showed up.
    Now not knowing whether the mod was installed succesfully or not I have launched the game, started the browser and entered the localhost:63030 but I keep getting the error 102.
    No idea if the mod was actually installed, since like I said after manually selecting Subnautica folder the app shut itself down without telling me if the installation was done or not.
    Either way thanks for trying to help, its probably something on my end.

Merry Christmas and enjoy your holiday!

Thanks for your fast reply. I have deleted the Subnautica folder that was on C drive. Then I have launched the WatcherInstaller. Now a window popped up, telling me to manually choose m SUbnautica folder. I have done that but when I clicked 'OK' the window disappeared and no other window showed up.
    Now not knowing whether the mod was installed succesfully or not I have launched the game, started the browser and entered the localhost:63030 but I keep getting the error 102.
    No idea if the mod was actually installed, since like I said after manually selecting Subnautica folder the app shut itself down without telling me if the installation was done or not.
    Either way thanks for trying to help, its probably something on my end.

Merry Christmas and enjoy your holiday!

@Junglist_ Can you send me the logs again please?