NOMINATION FOR STEAM AWARD

VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
Subnautica seems to fit the "The World is Grim Enough Lets Just All Get Along" steam award's description: "Games delight and entertain us, giving us much needed breaks from the sorrows and low points of our lives… and let’s be honest, for a lot of people it’s been a rough 2017. That is why the SASC has chosen to celebrate a game that doesn’t involve combat or conflict."

Anyways, I think we should all nominate it on steam. Just go to the steam store page for Subnautica and nominate it. This may have already been suggested. I'm not sure.

Comments

• jehrekjehrek Join Date: 2017-11-22 Member: 234080Members
    My view is that unfinished games should not be nominated for awards.
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    I struggle to nominate a game for a category claiming to not have "combat or conflict" when so many creatures in the game are literally trying to kill you.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    They aren't trying to kill you just aggressively make friends with you.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    I'm nominating it, and we have a chance for more people to see it, and you should nominate it too.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    We should all agree on one nomination, though, right?
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    We should all agree on one nomination, though, right?

Lets just all do the grim world one, then. Everyone good with that?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    jehrek wrote: »

Are you sure about that? I mean just look at how many awards No Man's Sky got, and it wasn't even nowhere close to being finished when it was officially released! :sunglasses:

It's still rather lackluster TBH, just littered with mostly the same onedimensional fetch/kill quests and the same creatures in different skins, quite repetitive...

And kinda goes to show that these awards are without any value, besides fueling a potential hype wagon. Only goes to show how much more reliable and honest YouTube PlaybyPlay or "reviews" are, compared to ratings and awards. They do give some free publicity, I guess, but that smells like clickbait in any case :D
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Foxy wrote: »

congrats u won
    steamsalty.png

I don't know how you're doing it, but your comments just keep getting funnier.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I nominated it for the "WOOOOOOOOOOAAAHHH Award 2.0"

Gotta say, Steam has some, interesting, titles.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    Foxy wrote: »

congrats u won
    steamsalty.png

I don't know how you're doing it, but your comments just keep getting funnier.

He's quite foxy, that's why!
    Someone make a poll with all the different awards that could apply to Subnautica (so, not "better than the remake" of course etc) and then we can vote on it, and then all vote for that.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    This. And I would hold off on hailing it really until and if they fix the stutter, lod switching and pop in.

Well, we've got salt and coral, anyone gonna take this to the fabber for some good ol' Bleach? :lol:
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited November 2017
    Nah, I can't possibly nominate it for the grim world award when slime rancher exists. I am nominating it for the woaaah dude award tho.

Also @Skope Yeah these titles are weird, and the descriptions don't help. I had trouble understanding what the "mom's spaghetti" and the "woaaah dude" awards are for.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Skope wrote: »

Define interesting...
    edited November 2017
    15.gif

kingkuma wrote: »

Define interesting...
    Definition of interesting

: holding the attention : arousing interest
    — interestingness noun
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited November 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    15.gif

kingkuma wrote: »

Define interesting...
    Definition of interesting

: holding the attention : arousing interest
    — interestingness noun

I mean a game example.

Smart***.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited November 2017
    The “The World Is Grim Enough Let's Just All Get Along” Award
    Games delight and entertain us, giving us much needed breaks from the sorrows and low points of our lives… and let’s be honest, for a lot of people it’s been a rough 2017. That is why the SASC has chosen to celebrate a game that doesn’t involve combat or conflict.

I picked Subnautica for this award, not really for the "grim gritty survival" aspect but just because like the header says, it doesn't involve combat or conflict. I know some might argue about "fighting back" against predators and such, but that's not an inherent design. The developers have made their intention clear in creating a game that doesn't involve direct combat (Natural Selection 3) but lets people take whichever option they want to try. :)

The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award
    The Academy wasn't clear enough in the awards description last year. Let's try this again. This award is for the “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” of video games.

Are they trying to meme something? I've never watched "FaLiLV" (and don't really plan to), but I don't see how an even more obscure description "clears up" an unclear description from last year. :confused:

The “Write-In” Award
    You are a member of the Steam Award Selection Committee and your voice needs to be heard! What additional category needs to be added for the 2017 steam awards? Best Use Of A Lighthouse? Best Game To Play While Listening To The Hamilton Soundtrack? The only limit is your imagination (and a vague sense of decency)!

Options to pick: [Search in the Store] [View in My Library] ...yeah, they're trying to be cute, apparently. :expressionless:

I put in my choices and got my reward, but I feel like they aren't really trying to be serious with this contest. Like others above have pointed out, the descriptions aren't intuitive or really anything of merit. If anything, it just feels like a cheap PR stunt personally. I mean I hope Subnautica wins an award, but I just wish Steam™ took their approach more seriously. :(
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    edited November 2017
    I'm not actually sure unreleased (as in: early access) games can be nominated at all, but if so, UWE should do what Slime Rancher devs did - flat out suggest a category they think their game fits best and ask people to vote there. Steam tries to be... heck, I dunno what they are trying to be with these idiotic categories, and that makes any kind of organized support for a game pretty much impossible - people are never going to agree on which category is best for their fav game. We've attempted this here on the forum last year, we failed. So... yeah.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Voxel wrote: »
    Subnautica seems to fit the "The World is Grim Enough Lets Just All Get Along" steam award's description: "Games delight and entertain us, giving us much needed breaks from the sorrows and low points of our lives… and let’s be honest, for a lot of people it’s been a rough 2017. That is why the SASC has chosen to celebrate a game that doesn’t involve combat or conflict."

Anyways, I think we should all nominate it on steam. Just go to the steam store page for Subnautica and nominate it. This may have already been suggested. I'm not sure.

I'm not sure that Subnautica is the best game for this award. There are plenty of other games that truly don't involve any sort of combat or conflict (like Kerbal Space Program), but Subnautica uses conflict between the player and the environment as a core part of its gameplay. The main difference is that the game tries (often unsuccessfully) to encourage the players to run away or avoid predators rather than fight back, but conflict is still very much present.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Nah, I can't possibly nominate it for the grim world award when slime rancher exists. I am nominating it for the woaaah dude award tho.

Also @Skope Yeah these titles are weird, and the descriptions don't help. I had trouble understanding what the "mom's spaghetti" and the "woaaah dude" awards are for.

I don't know man, those tarr are vicious.
  • Area52Area52 Netherlands Join Date: 2017-12-02 Member: 234206Members
    I also have the "woooah dude!" feeling with this game!
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Labor of Love seems like a great fit. While I may not agree with some decisions here or there, it's clear everyone involved has put their whole being into this game and have worked so very, very hard at making it be a fantastic experience and world to be in. The many long hours and tough work will soon be paying off, with the final release being on the horizon - of course during that last stretch things must be even more hectic and stressful.

So that's where I'd cast my vote - Labor of Love, since that's what Subnautica has been for everyone here :)
    "Shit, this game is all wet!"

Is that an available nomination title?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    The game didn't qualify for any of the categories... Booo.