Venting about Cyclops

zdszds Finland Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232317Members
Vive, Steam Controller, build 56549.

So, there are depths not reachable with Sea Moth, so I took Cyclops for a ride. Mission unaccomplished so far. The bugs in game combine in a way that makes it very difficult to survive in this vessel.

1) Rendering distance gets shorter over time; this means I was already over the area before the 3D model of the terrain finally renders. Makes navigation hard, especially in areas where there are obstacles all around as the landmarks are not visible at all until you have hit them.
2) Cyclops cockpit buttons get flaky over time, at least with Vive and Steam Controller. Some buttons stop working, or might work but the game no longer shows you tooltip indicating what the hotspot area for the button is; in this case it was the one that allows you to use cameras.
3) Possibly the bug above also meant camera lights did not work. Headlights were on, but didn't light the area I saw from the keel camera.
4) The keel camera is sometimes tilted.

So essentially I was moving in area that was invisible either because it was not rendered at all or if it was, it was pitch black because the lights didn't work properly.

The control bug sometimes resolves by docking to base, but if there are no bases close by, you are out of luck.

The only solution I have found to this mess is that if I really, really can't avoid using the Cyclops, I'll scout the route with Sea Moth and mark it with beacons (which I can't rename in VR, so I need to take SteamVR screenshots to remember what the number means).

There's still some work to do before this offers a playable experience.

Comments

• zdszds Finland Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232317Members
    My system has 24GB of memory, GeForce GTX 1080 and only good SSDs for storage, so there really is no valid excuse for late loading of scenery. You could keep almost the whole world in memory at once.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Belgarel is any of this something you could use a saved game to look at?
  • guzmonsterguzmonster San Francisco Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230217Members
    Good job on most of the Stability issues, but isn't this supposed to be an advanced technological Starship culture? whose idea was it to tie the battery chargers to the Cyclops batteries? Why do the batteries only last frieking 20 minutes on this sub when travelling? Why can't I build diving tanks with a decent air supply anymore? 60 seconds is a joke and adds nothing but frustration to the game and more tedious running back and forth while navigating clinging wreckage. Still cannot find some of the basic blueprints and a few minerals needed after many hours of Farting around, because you moved them deeper and put more Leviathans and other Attack Monsters around the areas. Not Good Dudes, this game is becoming too Frustrating/Boring now on survivor mode.
  • Inny78Inny78 France Join Date: 2017-11-02 Member: 233820Members
    edited November 2017
    The first oxygen tank is enough to gather the materials required to upgrade it. Once you get the high capacity one, you'll vastly expand your ability to move around. The other equipments adds to this - fins, rebreather, seaglide, seamoth...
    I've noticed Seaglider and Mobile Vehicle Bay shards have been moved up lately, ie. you can find them on shallower locations and outside the Aurora fragments on sea floor.
    Before I got me Seamoth, I often used Seaglider even inside the Aurora fragments. You can advance in higher speed and the built-in light is useful. Also, if you are far enough from Aurora wreck, you can switch to the rebreather mask (or whatever it is called), as you don't need radiation shielding.

It's tedious and terrifying work to explore the indoor labyrinths with what's basically free diving, no denying that.
    This in general is a mixed bag. I like how Subnautica lacks training wheels: it really is an open world and you need to figure it all out yourself, with some help from the life pod messages and scanner rooms.

But this does mean it's sometimes also utterly frustrating, as you have to roam around until you figure something out or find some key ingredient you've been missing.