Carar is pointless so far - how to fix it.

LightcodeLightcode Join Date: 2017-10-09 Member: 233465Members
I do realise that Carar is mostly a plot device at this point, but wouldn't it be great if it had some actual meaning game-wise?
Carar is supposed to be this terrible, lethal disease that annihilated an advanced race and almost an entire planet within weeks, yet when the player contracts it... he can just chill with it as long as he wants (or until the next plot-driven self-scan) with absolutely no side effects.

There is, however, a great opportunity to create another slim yet meaningful layer of survival to the game. Allow me to explain:

-The disease advances regardless of self-scan and plot progression. At some point, Alterra lady urges you to scan yourself and announces that you have reached a critical state.
-In the critical state of the disease, your health starts to slowly deteriorate. The rate is extremely slow (i.e. 2hp/real life min) at first, but might accelerate later.
-As you remain in the critical state, the disease starts to physically affect you. You swim slower, your vision becomes increasingly distorted, your hearing is affected in form of hallucinations etc.
-To counteract this debuff, you will need a SERUM. Entering the critical state for the first time unlocks said SERUM blueprint. Alterra lady announces that certain fish seem to have a resistance to Carar for unknown reasons (namely the Peepers). Bringing a Peeper or two to the fabricator allows you to craft a SERUM that will take the edge off for a while and return you to normal health until you reach the critical state again. Other, healthy fish might work, too, but you'll obviously need more of them.

That way, these lethal Carar bacteria will actually be a logical threat, rather than a slight nuisance in form of green blisters on your hands that you won't even see through the radiation/reinforced gloves. This will add an easily manageable extra resource along with food and water, while bringing an awesome, much needed layer of immersion into Carar and the game in general.

Thank you for reading, looking forward to seeing what you think.

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    We have discussed this before. The game is “feature locked” until 1.0. Maybe the DEVs might revisit this after the 1.0 release.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The devs don't want carar to have any impact on the game other than away to make you get cured. They don't want it to kill you.
  • LightcodeLightcode Join Date: 2017-10-09 Member: 233465Members
    Hm. Shame. Looks like another missed opportunity.
  • FractaliteFractalite Join Date: 2017-11-08 Member: 233889Members
    While it seems the devs don't want to do much with the Carar, I think that would have been a great idea. It probably would've been a good way to reintroduce the transfuser into the game as well. It would put a challenge back into the game for players that have been a part of the testing process for a long time (i've had it since the Silent Running Update).
  • BioSpiritBioSpirit Join Date: 2016-11-23 Member: 224153Members
    edited November 2017
    I can't really agree with the OP. I wouldn't like to compete against a timer in a game. Also the first play through would take much more time than any following play through. Some players like to spend more time to build seabases than the rest.

But I think that the cure comes too easy. I was hoping of some sort of "DNA sequencer" mini game in a formulation of the cure, where each scanned flora and fauna would provide a piece in the puzzle. And by completing the mini game the player would learn the blue print for the cure. This way a scanning of alien flora would actually matter something in the end. But it's too late now, since the cure is already implemented.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited November 2017
    Time limits aren't fun. This would force people to rush through the game. The time it takes you to reach the the ILZ vs someone else is always different. I take around 30 hours till I want to do the ILZ. I prepare my Cyclops and other stuff to maximum. I like to make two bases. So I only have to do the remaining runs in one shot. This would also increase rage quit for new players. A lot of stuff relies on RNG. I wasted loads of time before. With propulsion gun and Cutter parts being rare.
  • SuaveSteveSuaveSteve Join Date: 2017-10-31 Member: 233793Members
    OP is just making treatment of the disease another survival requirement. Arguing that their idea is a time limit is the like arguing that keeping your food and water in check is a time limit.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We have tried various things in the past, but every time players would actually get the wrong message we were hoping they would. Having the disease be very slow-moving and not actually affect the player (apart from visually) was a good middle-ground that has been the most successful. And yes, as posted before we're a bit late now to revise this.
  • Xenodrone98Xenodrone98 U.S Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221726Members
  • ACivilRenegadeACivilRenegade B.C. Join Date: 2017-11-09 Member: 233917Members
    I can understand the carar posing more of a threat if you were on hardcore difficulty but on survival it would be to much of a chore and would interrupt the flow of gameplay to much.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Maybe later as an optional toggle in for those who WANT to test themselves for a speedrun... But it wouldn't be fun to be the default option, IMO. Cuts into the exploration if you're too worried about dying.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    No thank you. Even with the ability to craft the 'cure' off peepers, it would just add in another health bar to me, and instead of making me think of the disease, would just be 'another bar to keep track of'. It wouldn't feel like "Lore". It would just feel like "another game mechanic". Plus it would add in a 'ticking clock' aspect to the game that I, personally, have never enjoyed. I enjoy games with the *illusion* of a ticking clock, or occasional moments where it pops up, but not where you have an actual time limit.

That way, if I want to speed run something, I can do so. But if I want to fart around for days and build big, elaborate bases and roleplay my fight against the elements (I *do* like the food and water and oxygen balancing parts) I can do that as well.

If there were a way to individually toggle bars you have to worry about (food, water, oxygen, health, Carar) then I would say it should be an option. However, there is not; you have to pick the 'mode' and Carar would be forced on me. Which would completely change my experience of the game in a negative way.
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    Lightcode wrote: »
    I do realise that Carar is mostly a plot device at this point, but wouldn't it be great if it had some actual meaning game-wise?
    Carar is supposed to be this terrible, lethal disease that annihilated an advanced race and almost an entire planet within weeks, yet when the player contracts it... he can just chill with it as long as he wants (or until the next plot-driven self-scan) with absolutely no side effects.

There is, however, a great opportunity to create another slim yet meaningful layer of survival to the game. Allow me to explain:

-The disease advances regardless of self-scan and plot progression. At some point, Alterra lady urges you to scan yourself and announces that you have reached a critical state.
    -In the critical state of the disease, your health starts to slowly deteriorate. The rate is extremely slow (i.e. 2hp/real life min) at first, but might accelerate later.
    -As you remain in the critical state, the disease starts to physically affect you. You swim slower, your vision becomes increasingly distorted, your hearing is affected in form of hallucinations etc.
    -To counteract this debuff, you will need a SERUM. Entering the critical state for the first time unlocks said SERUM blueprint. Alterra lady announces that certain fish seem to have a resistance to Carar for unknown reasons (namely the Peepers). Bringing a Peeper or two to the fabricator allows you to craft a SERUM that will take the edge off for a while and return you to normal health until you reach the critical state again. Other, healthy fish might work, too, but you'll obviously need more of them.

That way, these lethal Carar bacteria will actually be a logical threat, rather than a slight nuisance in form of green blisters on your hands that you won't even see through the radiation/reinforced gloves. This will add an easily manageable extra resource along with food and water, while bringing an awesome, much needed layer of immersion into Carar and the game in general.

Thank you for reading, looking forward to seeing what you think.

Great, so when I go into a base building and exploring slog down anywhere away from the safe shallows I have to periodically come back to peeper areas and keep a live stock of them with me? Maybe as a hardcore mode feature, but this would god awful while trying to enjoy the game. We already have three separate constantly degrading bars. Don't need a forth.
  • Inny78Inny78 France Join Date: 2017-11-02 Member: 233820Members
    edited December 2017
    I'm not against an occasional cough sound effect. And it's consistent with Degasi Voice Log 7.
    BART: You've been coughing, right? Feeling itchy? Blisters?
  • baneofpain823baneofpain823 Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236189Members
    Bart Torgal talked about hallucinating/visions in his final PDA, why does the character never experience these? Huge beasts that are not really there. Pustules and sores growing and moving, loved ones deaths, and a rescue ship landing, false images due to the virus. Anyone played Batman : Arkham Knight? Maybe a imaginary friend/foe or a visual representation of the virus(a horrible creature or a person.) I think this would help increase the sense of emergency for the player and while not killing them, reminding them that they wont leave the planet alive without the antidote.
  • Logan_WalkerLogan_Walker Namibia Join Date: 2018-01-28 Member: 236076Members
    Bart Torgal talked about hallucinating/visions in his final PDA, why does the character never experience these? Huge beasts that are not really there. Pustules and sores growing and moving, loved ones deaths, and a rescue ship landing, false images due to the virus. Anyone played Batman : Arkham Knight? Maybe a imaginary friend/foe or a visual representation of the virus(a horrible creature or a person.) I think this would help increase the sense of emergency for the player and while not killing them, reminding them that they wont leave the planet alive without the antidote.

yes i like the idea and that it wont actually force players to rush or get them killed well maybe get them killed from panicking from seeing a huge monster when on their way to cyclops for oxygen and it just come out of nowhere because it's a hallucination. and the coughing is a nice passive way to remind players of the disease
  • EternalGolemEternalGolem Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223650Members
    edited February 2018
    I thought the visions experienced by Bart were the
    sea emperor telephonisis episodes
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I don't know how old this post is...

But screw it i'm posting anyway.

The Carar Bacterium was changed to the

Kharaa is the new name, which is, yes, the Bacterium from Natural Selection 2. That means it CAN mutate and such, just it doesn't happen to us. As obraxis said,
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We have tried various things in the past, but every time players would actually get the wrong message we were hoping they would. Having the disease be very slow-moving and not actually affect the player (apart from visually) was a good middle-ground that has been the most successful. And yes, as posted before we're a bit late now to revise this.

Keeping it visual can allow it to not cause any issue. What if you suddenly were mutated into some other creature and died? How would that fit into the story?

Boom my dude.

Boom.