Storm Mode

SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
edited September 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Storm Mode would be a new mode in which Planet 4546B's surface would be bombarded by hurricane-force winds and torrential rains.

Constantly.

Being on the surface would deal one point of damage per second to the player. The top 20 feet of water would appear churned up, and bits of coral and acid mushrooms would occasionally smash into the player dealing about 5 damage.

The underwater area directly around the lifepod would be slightly less affected by underwater debris for the sake of not murdering players the instant they enter and exit the pod.

Also, solar panels would be 50% less effective. Oh boy.

After two weeks of gameplay, the storm would become more severe, with the player being dealt 2 damage per second on the surface and with debris being slightly more common and appearing 50 feet underwater.

After four weeks of gameplay, the storm would become even worse, with the player being dealt 4 damage per second on the surface and with debris being very common and appearing 100 feet underwater, with bits of scrap metal that deal 10 damage.

To reduce storm damage for exploring the islands, you could craft the various dive suits. The rad and still suits would reduce storm damage by 25%, and the reinforced dive suit would reduce it by 60%. Might still be a good idea to pack some first aid kits.

Seabases and subs will also be damaged by storm debris.

Fundamentally, I'm not so sure this is a good idea, but I think it could be cool. Anyways, thanks for reading.

Comments

• Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    I very much agree. This has mentioned suggested other threads a way of motivating a practical need to build deeper bases. I believe storms were mentioned by the Degassi PDAs as a reason they did this. But most importantly it would be truly awesome.
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    Hurricanes are a problem even in video games
  • RagnosRagnos Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230812Members
    I think weather in subnautica would be an awesome addition to see. With hurricanes, storms, huge waves.
    Even though this would be a really great addition; however, I don't see the devs taking the time to change the weather above the water when the game primarily takes place under it.
  • Diever112Diever112 Join Date: 2017-08-29 Member: 232703Members

ladies and gentlemen, I'm the main frick here, so I suggest the following - firstly, there must be a tsunami. At least, big and terrible waves, with black water inside, so that when I see them I huddle in the most reliable corner of my base and sit, sobbing like a little girl. Secondly, there must be tension during the storm. Music, by itself, the wind, the sound of water louder, the roar of water, awesome. And, finally, third, I propose to accompany the largest waves with ghostly leviathans. Let them drive their "hammer" big waves so that their eyes are shown from the black water in the wave, to growl yet. And finally, lightning, thunder, whirlpools, tornadoes and muddy water. To make it dark, you jumped into the water, and the Leviathan flies at you with a roar and tears you to pieces. And, ideally, so that the waves raise the player with them, it will be awesome, so that the Cyclops can also be picked up and thrown onto the island. And still it is possible to make so that after storms different beings met in unexpected places themselves. IDEALLY. My inner psycho is satisfied.
  • Gamechanger3849Gamechanger3849 Flying an ARC-170 above Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-06-17 Member: 231153Members
    Yay I really want to have an island base with broken windows so that I can actually care about my base
  • Gamechanger3849Gamechanger3849 Flying an ARC-170 above Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-06-17 Member: 231153Members
    Yay I really want to have an island base with broken windows so that I can actually care about my base

No actually I want to be hit by a piece of debris from a window
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    I agree. I would like bad weather conditions every now and again. I don't really care for the idea of the animals attacking the base. Since they're always there. It would limit the areas you could make one. But weather that causes hail or other problems, would be cool. It be a great way to introduce a watermill machine, batteries, or a dome shield for habitats. Hell, I'd love to see ships being shot down periodically. Till you shut it down.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    @creepjax hey if ur gonna disagree with my idea could you at least tell me why
  • creepjaxcreepjax michigan Join Date: 2017-10-04 Member: 233388Members
    it does seem like a good idea but it should be like a option in case if the player wants does not want the storm
  • leviathancainleviathancain lancaster Pa Join Date: 2017-08-20 Member: 232501Members
    That whole storm thing sounds a bit drastic but i am not opposed to weather even violent storms but not 24/. but i really would like to see some rain, thunderstorms, maybe a tornado or a hurricane but just not all the time.
  • DraydanDraydan Canada Join Date: 2017-10-06 Member: 233422Members
    @leviathancain
    Perhaps the storms could be more frequent on harsher difficulty playthroughts ? Would seem more balanced tbh , and lets face it when we got for harder gamemodes we are pretty much asking for troubles xD
  • cutefishleviathancutefishleviathan United States Join Date: 2017-07-22 Member: 231975Members
    REAPERNADO! and you've got a complete game.. B)
    creepjax wrote: »
    it does seem like a good idea but it should be like a option in case if the player wants does not want the storm
    maybe that's why i said right at the top and in the title that it would be a special mode for the game. I didn't just put the word "mode" in there for no reason.

• justi18562justi18562 Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228386Members
    @SnailsAttack weather is a good idea but there should also be a drought type period where the safe shallows start to be above sealevel.
  • ErnieWErnieW tonasket WA Join Date: 2015-07-13 Member: 206134Members
    why the heck do you need a deeper base? its a bloody base you go back to it and store your stuff. not like you dont have a sub as a mobile camp site.

as for weather of varying intensities... yes please! this tropical breezes and gentile rains just doesn't make sense all the time. as for storm debris there is only one shallow spot on the entire planet if the planet has any form of storm that can effect subsurface that shallow spot wouldn't be shallow anymore. it would be as deep as the regular storms could affect. given that the sea is global the seas should be rather high to begin with. the fetch would tend to drive at least 10 to 20 foot swells.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    justi18562 wrote: »
    @SnailsAttack weather is a good idea but there should also be a drought type period where the safe shallows start to be above sealevel.

Does drought lower the sea level here? (No, not to any appreciable level.) Look at the weather cycle. Rainfall comes from evaporated ocean water for the most part. Not having rain means it stays in the ocean. It lowers water levels in places that are not open to the ocean.

Weather Cycle:
    the-water-cycle_523b5e9dd38c6_w1500.png

hydrocycle.jpg
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    justi18562 wrote: »

Does drought lower the sea level here? (No, not to any appreciable level.) Look at the weather cycle. Rainfall comes from evaporated ocean water for the most part. Not having rain means it stays in the ocean. It lowers water levels in places that are not open to the ocean.

Weather Cycle:
    the-water-cycle_523b5e9dd38c6_w1500.png

hydrocycle.jpg
    There's no rise/fall of sea level, just lots of rain. Although tides would be a cool feature.
  • Jim444Jim444 Join Date: 2017-11-20 Member: 234049Members
    Any random storm/hurricane/rain weather effects would be really nice.
    Weather could affect the upper level of sea, so the deeper bases are the safer bases.
    (I would prefer strom combined with some storm specific random creatures)

• UnderTheSheetsUnderTheSheets Join Date: 2017-11-20 Member: 234057Members
    Yeah storm mode sounds good! :smiley: And what about the electric storm? It would be frightening if the energy of the base would decrease with e.g. 70 % and the scanner room is deactivated and we have to wait the end of the storm in darkness. Haha :smiley:
  • Jim444Jim444 Join Date: 2017-11-20 Member: 234049Members
    Diever112 wrote: »
    And, finally, third, I propose to accompany the largest waves with ghostly leviathans.

Perfect idea!
    Storm = No Sunlight = sea becomes as dark as void = Ghost Leviathans incoming = players must hide

Yeah storm mode sounds good! :smiley: And what about the electric storm? It would be frightening if the energy of the base would decrease with e.g. 70 % and the scanner room is deactivated and we have to wait the end of the storm in darkness. Haha :smiley:

Yes power outage would be interesting, and also some electric storm around the Precursor gun station would be really cool. It can function as a huge thunder rod (to gather insane amount of power for whatever) or thunder can slightly damage the building so get some rare material from the building (or more wreck)
  • v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    I like this idea; Especially when weather slams you or your vehicles against the Aurora Hull, that would cause a bit of damage. I'm all for this but then I think about the work the developers are still doing and how much more work that would give them; Delaying the release further But still it is quite a well thought out idea
  • SSPanzerSSPanzer Join Date: 2017-11-27 Member: 234138Members
    good idea even if it would break
  • nexoboomnexoboom Lara Join Date: 2017-11-11 Member: 233934Members
    ok i like this. we could have weather everywhere from a small breeze that pushs things slightly to full on storms. also having seabase damage would be epic. rain is also somthing. it could be light or when the aroura blows up the rain becomes acid promting the player to fix it.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    edited January 2018
    Ok, let's talk Science! Assuming that the only radiation the player experiences is from the Aurora, and that the player doesn't freeze or burn to death when they leave the water, we can assume that the planet 4546B is roughly the size of Earth and with an atmosphere of Carbon, Oxygen and Hydrogen. Now let's look at the oceans of Earth for reference as we see that in areas around the equator or in places with high thermal activity underwater, there are often storms. Since the game map takes place within a superheated thermal crater, it's exceptionally warm, likely; and if the planet has a thinner atmosphere than Earth's, the player spends most time indoors or submerged and so they wouldn't experience the radiation much. This possible radiation, (besides the Aurora's,) plus the obvious thermal activity would cause the oceans to be greatly heated and evaporation would take place often; and since almost 100% of the planet's surface is water and Evaporation would be so common, there'd likely be a constant Huge Hurricane making its way in zigzags along the equator and mainly around the hot Crater.
    How this would work In-Game: The player might be in constant threat of the storm appearing and destroying their submarines! They'd have to hurricane-proof their bases and move all smaller vehicles into moon-pools whenever an approaching HURRICANE is detected. The Hurricanes would likely be detected with a 'WEATHER DRONE' which can be activated from a SCANNER ROOM.

Side Note: If 4546B is smaller than Earth and at similar location to its sun, some storms might be Electrical Storms due to RADIATION! The player would experience their bases switching over to RESERVE POWER as the storm creates an emp. This'd be a really fun game implement, and matches up with science!

Note: If my case for why there should be many hurricanes on the planet was satisfactory, I might just describe a few of my own quasi-scientific, (mainly imaginary,) explanations for other things in the game.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    nexoboom wrote: »
    ok i like this. we could have weather everywhere from a small breeze that pushs things slightly to full on storms. also having seabase damage would be epic. rain is also somthing. it could be light or when the aroura blows up the rain becomes acid promting the player to fix it.

This would be awesome and would make exquisite sense for science in Subnautica. However, this'd cause the acid rain to destroy ecosystems and biomes and smaller fish and biodiversity. It'd make sense, but it'd also make the game very, very boring.
  • Cire555Cire555 bend Join Date: 2018-01-02 Member: 234752Members
    Not a bad Idea, I believe that a constant planet-wide storm could add a lot of incentive to the gameplay and could be part of the reason the Degasi survivors decided to go deeper, it could also be a secondary defensive measure designed by the precursors to deter ships from attempting to land on the planet. Unfortunately, I don't think a constant storm would be implemented at this point, as it would necessitate scraping a lot of the work they did for animating the sky, the surface of the water, the skyrays, and would make exploring things like the mountain, floater island, and Aroura way to difficult. Periodic storms would be far easier to implement I think and could still be fun and render the life pod unusable for a time, making it difficult to get oxygen and providing greater incentive to build a subaquatic base especially if they are unpredictable, or bring something crazy like some kind of skyray leviathan.
    edited January 2018
    Yes, Yes, I guess it might make the game a bit too risky... but remember; the storm wouldn't go anywhere near the poles on the planet; so the player could retreat to their arctic base while the storm has arrived in the crater area. In fact, there could be a sort of 'storm map' display which could be flipped over to from the scanner room's weather drone, (which I'm thinking now would have to be shot to the planet's atmosphere or sent to constantly drift through the storm like from that tornado movie,) and the oncoming storm would be shown as a red, curved zone which works its way across the map day-by-day, so that you can see its slow advance's progress. And the storm doesn't have to be at all common; remember, it works its way all the way along the planet's equator, and might take quite a long time to make its way back around to the player's zone. And in fact, it could be so rare that it could be a one-time deal in the storyline. A storm is detected approaching, (perhaps detected by a satellite which the player can send into orbit with a Rocket Launch Pad but constructed and linked to the scanner room,) and there's a sort of timer in the upper right hand corner like that which displayed the Sunbeam's arrival. So, you pick a signal up from your radio, and it says something like:

PDA: "Warning. Detecting trace electromagnetic signatures a few miles down planet equator. signals inconsistent with those generated by Aurora's core.
    Assessing...
    Assessing...
    Assessment complete. Data is consistent with high probability of approaching class-4 storm. It is suggested that you spend the remaining time preparing for the hurricane. Make sure that PDA systems are fully operational, as this may be a system error. Wait...
    Assessing...
    Assessing...
    Scan of environment from orbital satellite suggests that there is an area (so-and-so distance) North of your position which might provide shelter from the oncoming storm. For the best interests of your survival, you should prepare for a long-distance journey to this location."

And then, it'd give you a waypoint which is somewhere at the planet's arctic, and you are given a certain amount of time to gather supplies and stuff for your journey. ... and... perhaps to make a new line of vehicles. A line of vehicles specially designed to take the player to the Arctic. Ones for which blueprints are unlocked specially for the mission. Ones which can... break through ice on the surface to refill its air-tanks, perhaps. Hm. And then, this is when the player sets off for their first mission to the Arctic; a place which their previous vehicles wouldn't be able to generate enough heat to keep the player alive in, and so they wouldn't have gone there until the storm calls for it.

Admit it, it's a well thought-out idea which might result in the lifepod drifting a bit, (or capsizing,) a use for the rocket launching platform besides the Neptune Rocket, and a reason for the ice-breaker submersibles being unlocked. It also motivates the player to risk the Arctic for reasons besides curiosity.

Note that this quest would probably take place after 4546B is cured of the Carar.
  • LordBrisingrLordBrisingr Join Date: 2018-01-05 Member: 234829Members
    Yes, Yes, I guess it might make the game a bit too risky... but remember; the storm wouldn't go anywhere near the poles on the planet; so the player could retreat to their arctic base while the storm has arrived in the crater area. In fact, there could be a sort of 'storm map' display which could be flipped over to from the scanner room's weather drone, (which I'm thinking now would have to be shot to the planet's atmosphere or sent to constantly drift through the storm like from that tornado movie,) and the oncoming storm would be shown as a red, curved zone which works its way across the map day-by-day, so that you can see its slow advance's progress. And the storm doesn't have to be at all common; remember, it works its way all the way along the planet's equator, and might take quite a long time to make its way back around to the player's zone. And in fact, it could be so rare that it could be a one-time deal in the storyline. A storm is detected approaching, (perhaps detected by a satellite which the player can send into orbit with a Rocket Launch Pad but constructed and linked to the scanner room,) and there's a sort of timer in the upper right hand corner like that which displayed the Sunbeam's arrival. So, you pick a signal up from your radio, and it says something like:

PDA: "Warning. Detecting trace electromagnetic signatures a few miles down planet equator. signals inconsistent with those generated by Aurora's core.
    Assessing...
    Assessing...
    Assessment complete. Data is consistent with high probability of approaching class-4 storm. It is suggested that you spend the remaining time preparing for the hurricane. Make sure that PDA systems are fully operational, as this may be a system error. Wait...
    Assessing...
    Assessing...
    Scan of environment from orbital satellite suggests that there is an area (so-and-so distance) North of your position which might provide shelter from the oncoming storm. For the best interests of your survival, you should prepare for a long-distance journey to this location."

And then, it'd give you a waypoint which is somewhere at the planet's arctic, and you are given a certain amount of time to gather supplies and stuff for your journey. ... and... perhaps to make a new line of vehicles. A line of vehicles specially designed to take the player to the Arctic. Ones for which blueprints are unlocked specially for the mission. Ones which can... break through ice on the surface to refill its air-tanks, perhaps. Hm. And then, this is when the player sets off for their first mission to the Arctic; a place which their previous vehicles wouldn't be able to generate enough heat to keep the player alive in, and so they wouldn't have gone there until the storm calls for it.

Admit it, it's a well thought-out idea which might result in the lifepod drifting a bit, (or capsizing,) a use for the rocket launching platform besides the Neptune Rocket, and a reason for the ice-breaker submersibles being unlocked. It also motivates the player to risk the Arctic for reasons besides curiosity.

Note that this quest would probably take place after 4546B is cured of the Carar.

Very well thought out idea, maybe something like this will be a DLC for after release.
  • AugustWintersAugustWinters USA Join Date: 2018-01-06 Member: 234848Members
    I think this is great. Extra Hardcore modes are always nice. Something more challenging to do when you've done everything else.
    justi1862 suggested that the satellite blueprints be obtained from the Captain's quarters. The Captain Quarters might be made accessible at some point after the GUN is disabled, (for some reason I'm too lazy to think about,) and the databox containing satellite blueprint is sitting in the captain's room.