codes

ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
That 2679 code does not work on the captain's quarters.

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    It does for me. Has worked for the last couple of builds.

What build are you on?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Doesn't work for me either - on stable.
    I remember when I first saw the message, the code didn't work. It must be implemented in experimental, then.

You do get the plans for the launch platform, but if you try to build it, it just takes your materials and does nothing.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Experimental only - stable is still locked out. Price of safety, folks. :)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    It's criminal that it's not 0451.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited October 2017

Please explain.
    Edit: Nevermind, looked it up. My guess is it may have been copyrighted.
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    kingkuma wrote: »

Please explain.

Copyrighted? Please tell me you're joking. At least here in the US you can't copyright a number. I'd honestly cry if I learn that anywhere thinks it's ok to "copyright" something so basic that they clearly didn't create.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited October 2017
    cdaragorn wrote: »

Please explain.

Copyrighted? Please tell me you're joking. At least here in the US you can't copyright a number. I'd honestly cry if I learn that anywhere thinks it's ok to "copyright" something so basic that they clearly didn't create.

Sheesh, calm down. The number 0451 was used as a passcode in deus ex, to unlock a vault. As these circumstances are similar, I'd be wary of using it. When it comes to copyrights, you can never be too careful. I'm not sure if your comment was a troll, but I'm going to stand my ground.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I don't think you can copyright a number unless its part of a name 'ex: 343 Studios' but even then its not the number itself being copyrighted as you can use 343 all you want...
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    It is a sequence of numbers. I don't even think there is a way to copyright that.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited October 2017
    It's like that episode of Batman: The Animated Series where the Joker released a neurotoxin that infected fish with his trademark Glasgow grin. He then tries to get the Gotham Patent Office demand retribution and payment, since the city is "benefitting from" and freely doing trade with a "marketable commodity bearing his likeness."

He's shut down by the clerk on the grounds that fish are globally available to everyone, and no single person or company can claim ownership, since there's no dynamic point of creation or any trade secret at stake.

Joker: "So wait... what are you saying?"
    Court Clerk: "Basically sir... you can't trademark fish." :lol:

So while some sequence of numbers (be it 42 or 867-5309) may invoke strong relations to a specific entity, no one can claim it as their own since it's too commonly available to be considered intellectual property. @scifiwriterguy if you can double-check me, I'm just going by memory here. :smile:
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited October 2017

Please explain.

Sheesh, calm down. The number 0451 was used as a passcode in deus ex, to unlock a vault. As these circumstances are similar, I'd be wary of using it. When it comes to copyrights, you can never be too careful. I'm not sure if your comment was a troll, but I'm going to stand my ground.

It's since been used in lots and lots of games and become a little in-joke/reference all of its own. System Shock, BioShock and Dishonored to name the most famous I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure it wouldn't be possible to copyright it, unless Ray Bradbury who wrote the original book somehow did (but he's dead) or whoever owns the rights to the book somehow managed to do so. That would be like me writing a book about ice cubes, calling it "0 Degrees" and copyrighting the number 0.

Even so, it's so prevalent in gaming at this point it's too late. It's become so that I try it every time I come across a 4 digit combination in any game and you'd be amazed how often it works. Now you know it, you'll notice it coming up pretty often. "Fahrenheit 451" was set in a dystopian world so pay attention when playing games set in dystopias, and if you can't get past a door or into a safe it's worth a shot.

Please explain.

It's since been used in lots and lots of games and become a little in-joke/reference all of its own. System Shock, BioShock and Dishonored to name the most famous I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure it wouldn't be possible to copyright it, unless Ray Bradbury who wrote the original book somehow did (but he's dead) or whoever owns the rights to the book somehow managed to do so. That would be like me writing a book about ice cubes, calling it "0 Degrees" and copyrighting the number 0.

Even so, it's so prevalent in gaming at this point it's too late. It's become so that I try it every time I come across a 4 digit combination in any game and you'd be amazed how often it works. Now you know it, you'll notice it coming up pretty often. "Fahrenheit 451" was set in a dystopian world so pay attention when playing games set in dystopias, and if you can't get past a door or into a safe it's worth a shot.

Yeah,see your point. It's just that since I publish stuff, and hide references in it, I'm just a little paranoid about these things.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members

At one point the captain's code was listed as 1903 in the English localization file. I attempted to enter it but discovered that the keypad had no zero on it. Arrrgh! :D
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Klinn wrote: »

At one point the captain's code was listed as 1903 in the English localization file. I attempted to enter it but discovered that the keypad had no zero on it. Arrrgh! :D

LOL!

:)
    It was just speculation

Huh! Well how about that. Very interesting, thanks!
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Really, even if any of the other entities raised an objection, there's a grey area in copyright law called the homage. It's turned into a weasel chapter, but it exists.

When used as intended, it means that someone can't get in trouble for making a "nod" to an existing idea, asset, or even marque. The use of a code like 0451 in this context falls neatly within the homage category, meaning it's legit. So would the use of 0343, or 0117, or even 007; while protected or, in one case, outright trademarked, homage is generally adequate protection so long as you're not trying to horn in on the original user's territory.

Where people abuse it is in the field of knockoffs. Someone can make a knockoff Coach bag by altering the marque. You don't even need to do a lot - make it so that the C's aren't touching and that counts - and if anyone yells, just say it's an "homage." Of course, where that protection falls apart - and where prosecutions happen - is when these makers try to pass their products off as genuine. But so long as they don't attempt to sell what they've made as a genuine (blank) product, there's not much that can be done. It's why you see shoes with a familiar swoop on them and the name Nika, or a three-line triangle sold as Adadas. They're using the homage chapter as loophole protection for dishonesty.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Really, even if any of the other entities raised an objection, there's a grey area in copyright law called the homage. It's turned into a weasel chapter, but it exists.

When used as intended, it means that someone can't get in trouble for making a "nod" to an existing idea, asset, or even marque. The use of a code like 0451 in this context falls neatly within the homage category, meaning it's legit. So would the use of 0343, or 0117, or even 007; while protected or, in one case, outright trademarked, homage is generally adequate protection so long as you're not trying to horn in on the original user's territory.

Where people abuse it is in the field of knockoffs. Someone can make a knockoff Coach bag by altering the marque. You don't even need to do a lot - make it so that the C's aren't touching and that counts - and if anyone yells, just say it's an "homage." Of course, where that protection falls apart - and where prosecutions happen - is when these makers try to pass their products off as genuine. But so long as they don't attempt to sell what they've made as a genuine (blank) product, there's not much that can be done. It's why you see shoes with a familiar swoop on them and the name Nika, or a three-line triangle sold as Adadas. They're using the homage chapter as loophole protection for dishonesty.

Like those Chinese non-Apple (doesn't mention Apple anywhere) "iPad"s running heavily bastardized versions of Android? squeeze.gif
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members

Please explain.

Yeah,see your point. It's just that since I publish stuff, and hide references in it, I'm just a little paranoid about these things.

Ya, I absolutely didn't mean to come off as trollish. The state and attitude people have around copyright today just depresses me precisely because it causes people who would otherwise create awesome new stuff stop out of fear that someone else might try to sue them over it. The fact that it causes you to feel paranoia about it that makes me cry.

Please explain.

Ya, I absolutely didn't mean to come off as trollish. The state and attitude people have around copyright today just depresses me precisely because it causes people who would otherwise create awesome new stuff stop out of fear that someone else might try to sue them over it. The fact that it causes you to feel paranoia about it that makes me cry.
    :smile: You didn't come off as trollish at all. Oh, and that doesn't stop me from hiding stuff, this is one of one of the charicter's weapons:

mq2owljavz4j.jpg

And this wingsuit is designed to look like alterra made it:

otdp0j7qibyg.jpg

• ThricebornPhoenixThricebornPhoenix Join Date: 2017-08-29 Member: 232713Members
    It's since been used in lots and lots of games and become a little in-joke/reference all of its own. System Shock, BioShock and Dishonored to name the most famous I can think of off the top of my head.
    For anyone interested in a good rundown on the "0451" phenomenon, this video should suffice. Contains some degree of spoilers for a bunch of games, at listed at the start.