Bottom escape pod hatch should be broken until repaired

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Pretty much the title. The escape pod bottom hatch should be offline at the beginning of the game (until the power is restored with the welder). It's more cinematic to have players exit out the top of the escape pod at the beginning on the game and see the scope of their situation similar to the CGI trailer.

Comments

• gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I agree, exiting from the top hatch is a much better start to the game than slipping out the bottom of the pod. Maybe not even have to wait until power is restored to use it, just have to access the bottom hatch from outside to unjam it or something. That said, it would be kind of neat to actually have to use the ladders on the side of the pod during normal gameplay for at least a portion of the early game.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Yeah, damage would be cool. You could even keep the little cinematic on first use and save it for the first time it's used after repair (just a Rabbit Ray swimming by)
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I disagree. I think tihs change is "over the top". If players couldn't even exit the Life Pod 5 into the "ocean" in an "ocean" game, I think some folks would get stuck right there and have trouble progressing. Then, they'd have to add some way to hint to player about climbing the ladder to get out of the Life Pod. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Can you tell I've done a good bit of user support in my day? Yeah, I really do think all desktop computer users are idiots. :)

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    If you don't want to use the bottom hatch at the start of the game, simply don't use it. To be honest I rarely use the bottom door to leave the pod.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    If you don't want to use the bottom hatch at the start of the game, simply don't use it. To be honest I rarely use the bottom door to leave the pod.
    Yeah, but player choice isn't quite how it works. This suggestion is about locking the bottom hatch at the beginning of the game so that new players will see the (much more cinematically appeasing) upper hatch cutscene.

It takes me about 15 minutes to get the welder and fix the lifepod, but a nice alternative could be having it locked from the outside so the player could instantly go around and unlock it. Might be a bit strange though.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    when the first use animations were added the bottom hatch was only accessible by opening it from the inside (if you go to open it from the outside you can't) but now it can be opened either from the inside or from the outside no idea why they changed it
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    Yeah, but player choice isn't quite how it works. This suggestion is about locking the bottom hatch at the beginning of the game so that new players will see the (much more cinematically appeasing) upper hatch cutscene.

When i first played the game. I opened the top hatch first. That is the whole point of the escape cut scene looking threw the window on the roof. And with the birds flying around. So that new players will gravitate to that door. I didn't even notice there was a bottom hatch in till I exited the pod a few times.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Personally, I see no point blocking it. I think the first use cinematic for the bottom hatch is just as good/impressive as the top one, it sets up the mood perfectly for an underwater game. That said, the natural instinct of pretty much all living things is to go up when trapped, not down. So I'm guessing the number of players going through the bottom hatch first is not that high, especially if you consider that the hatch doesn't stand out all that much, and that the ladder is just there, right in front of your face all the time.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2017
    The first time I played the game, I didn't even realize the bottom hatch was functional.
    I just went up the ladder and the first few times went back in from the top by climbing the outside ladder.
    It wasn't till I actually swam underneath Lifepod #5 for the first time after about 30 minutes of playing that I saw the bottom hatch.
    B)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Tell me, what is the most obvious thing in the pod after you wake up -> survive being nearly decapitated and regain consciousness? Especially when you play the game for the first time. I submit to you, it is in fact the ladder, well after you put out the flames obviously :D A ladder automatically guides the player's eye upwards and when you point at it, it shows you the "climb ladder" tooltip. Along with the kjnowledge that this is an "underwater game", you tend to assume you need to go up after the "safe" landing. That whole bottom hatch, you really have to look for it to notice it. Heck, I only discovered it by accident when I swam up to the thing from below...

Most, if not all new players will definitely use the ladder to climb out of the top of the pod to go on an adventure to candy mountain. Right Charliiieeeeee @Flayra

Only people like me will poke around in the pod, heck the first time I played I refused to put out the flames and just wanted to try this ladder. No game tells me what to do, unless it is the only option available after exhausting all other options to bug out the game. What can I say, I like breaking games :trollface:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Only people like me will poke around in the pod, heck the first time I played I refused to put out the flames and just wanted to try this ladder. No game tells me what to do, unless it is the only option available after exhausting all other options to bug out the game. What can I say, I like breaking games :trollface:

That's how like 2/3rds of Let's Players miss the darned Storage Compartment for the first like 4 Episodes (unless someone comments, and they actually read the comment).
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    The storage compartment is very unnoticeable. I find it funny that the first time use of a Cyclops. It has the large text and arrow for the hatch. I never had a problem figuring out how to get in it, before that prompt was done. But the locker in Lifepod 5 is actually hard to notice. I didn't know it existed for a while. I just left items on the floor. I thought I only had access to storage from the Fab item.
  • MaxGforceMaxGforce Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-10-06 Member: 233417Members
    In the earlier stages of development, it used to already have an emergency Seaglide in the storage compartment. I spent 5 minutes building my own before I realized there already was one.
  • ThricebornPhoenixThricebornPhoenix Join Date: 2017-08-29 Member: 232713Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    The storage compartment is very unnoticeable.
    But... it's a big strip of red in a primarily white room. The fabricator blends in better.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Tell me, what is the most obvious thing in the pod after you wake up -> survive being nearly decapitated and regain consciousness? Especially when you play the game for the first time. I submit to you, it is in fact the ladder, well after you put out the flames obviously :D A ladder automatically guides the player's eye upwards and when you point at it, it shows you the "climb ladder" tooltip. Along with the kjnowledge that this is an "underwater game", you tend to assume you need to go up after the "safe" landing. That whole bottom hatch, you really have to look for it to notice it. Heck, I only discovered it by accident when I swam up to the thing from below...

Most, if not all new players will definitely use the ladder to climb out of the top of the pod to go on an adventure to candy mountain. Right Charliiieeeeee @Flayra

And when I though I was happy, along came you with that link, and made me remember those two monstrosities from my childhood. Brough to you by Filmcow and @Kouji_San.

Thank you
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited October 2017
    I kinda disagree... If anything, given the state of the Lifepod from the opening cinematic shows the Aurora exploding from above. This means the force of the explosion coupled with the various alarms and crippling issues to the Lifepod, the top hatch should be damaged if you ask me. Between the floatation ring cushioning the impact, and the emergency systems protecting the bottom of the hull (there's no chance of water leaking above the waterline), the bottom hatch should be functional versus the decimated top hatch.

Just sayin'. :wink:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

And when I though I was happy, along came you with that link, and made me remember those two monstrosities from my childhood. Brough to you by Filmcow and @Kouji_San.

Thank you

Rule number one of UWE forums, we don't talk about links in Kouji's posts!
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members

Thank you

Rule number one of UWE forums, we don't talk about links in Kouji's posts!

6zmnwbmk5ffy.jpg