Anyone experience the Aurora detonation underwater?

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
Seems to churn up quite a bit of stuff (as you'd expect) and was a little disorienting (read: frightening). Plus, had headphones (good quality; Logitech G933s) on, got quite the bass rumble from that. B)

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I have done that a couple of time and yes it is kind of terrifying. Especially when you're not that far away from it. o.o;
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Yes, the explosion is MUCH more impressive underwater. Above the water surface, I somehow keep expecting a huge tsunami to come and sweep me away, but it never comes. The underwater experience compensates more than fine for that.

It's also fun if you have an underwater base near Aurora. The sound effects with a slight reverb added are amazing.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    I don't really like the fact that if you're in a cyclops really close to the aurora, you can die but the cyclops will be fine. Very badly damaged, but ultimately fine. I feel like if the cyclops isn't destroyed, it shouldn't outright kill you. The sub would have absorbed most of the explosive force, it should just badly damage you.

Then again the only possible way to have a cyclops that early is by cheating so it doesn't even matter anyways, I don't know why I'm even bringing it up now that I think about it lol.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Fluffers wrote: »
    I don't really like the fact that if you're in a cyclops really close to the aurora, you can die but the cyclops will be fine. Very badly damaged, but ultimately fine. I feel like if the cyclops isn't destroyed, it shouldn't outright kill you. The sub would have absorbed most of the explosive force, it should just badly damage you.

Then again the only possible way to have a cyclops that early is by cheating so it doesn't even matter anyways, I don't know why I'm even bringing it up now that I think about it lol.

2kob77w5g6yl.jpg
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited October 2017
    Easy, the Cyclops isn't necessarily 100% radiation shielded, and the initial (gamma? if dark matter detonations are similar to nuclear bombs anyways, probably not lol) burst would pretty handily fry you, but the physical blast wave would damage the 'clops.

Thing is, the EMP from a nuke would fry the electronics, but... it's not really a nuke, either.

Also, fun little facts for your greater understanding (Read all of both links for maximum dosage of nuclear power geek knowledge, it's really very cool):

XKCD Swimming in a Spent Nuclear Reactor Rod Storage Pool

(▲ that last paragraph tho)

XKCD Radiation Dose Chart
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    I still wonder why we don't get killed by the blast in the first place. The game has 2 warnings. To be 10k from it. Than that the radiation will kill the fauna off, if left unchecked in 24 hours. Neither actually happen. So why bother having these two lines lol.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nah man that's beneath me...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

What's her name?
    >:)
  • VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
    No. I have always gone to the surface to watch it. (Can we get five million awesomes on this comment?)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

What's her name?
    >:)

A gentleman doesn't kiss and tell
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Easy, the Cyclops isn't necessarily 100% radiation shielded, and the initial (gamma? if dark matter detonations are similar to nuclear bombs anyways, probably not lol) burst would pretty handily fry you, but the physical blast wave would damage the 'clops.

Thing is, the EMP from a nuke would fry the electronics, but... it's not really a nuke, either.

Non-hardened electronics, that is. Depending on the construction of the Cyclops and wherever it tucks its hardware, it might get through okay. Then again, since it seems to conform quite tightly to the "built as cheaply as possible" design school...eh...probably not. ;)

0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Also, fun little facts for your greater understanding (Read all of both links for maximum dosage of nuclear power geek knowledge, it's really very cool):

XKCD Swimming in a Spent Nuclear Reactor Rod Storage Pool

(▲ that last paragraph tho)

XKCD Radiation Dose Chart

I routinely used those when teaching my science classes. Radiophobia is so rampant thanks largely to bad fiction and plain ignorance. What we don't understand, we fear.

Learn. Understand. Overcome the fear.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I fear a lot of things that I do understand.
    But then again, I'm easily unnerved.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    After seeing this thread, now, I'm only watching the Aurora detonation from underwater. I think the underwater experience is quite awesome. Thanks for creating this thread so I'd check it out!
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I just had an opportunity to be close the Aurora when it exploded. I was in a Seamoth and the Seamoth was destroyed but I was fine.

When I reloaded the game, of course it starts you outside your vehicle, so I took the hit from the explosion for about 50% health. The Seamoth, however, was fine. Interesting.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    I went to the ILZ and triggered the Aurora explosion, the bass is awesome
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Does the bubbly underwater effect still happen in the ILZ? It seems like it really shouldn't.

Also, anyone know what the actual safe distance is before the explosion starts hurting you? I've seen the underwater effect plenty of times, but I've never taken damage from the blast.
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Above the water surface, I somehow keep expecting a huge tsunami to come and sweep me away, but it never comes.

I do wish they would add that effect from the teaser video. I also want them to add that thing at the end where the "SUBNAUTICA" title goes underwater when you start / load a game. That would be awesome. Really low priority in the grand scheme of things of course, I just think it would be cool.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    They did a pretty good job on the explosion though, its one of the more impressive ones I've seen from a game. The shockwave in particular (though its all spectacular really). I've only been underwater for it once and I was far too close to it. All I heard was bang then the death screen.