How come

ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
You know periscopes and submarines go hand in hand. How come we don't get a periscope with our submarine?

Comments

• FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    You do, in fact there's 3 periscopes in the form of cameras. There's one on top and two on bottom.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    There's also the fact that periscopes are for allowing military submarines to see what's on the surface while remaining concealed underwater. Research/exploration subs don't have periscopes and instead use cameras like the subs in Subnautica do.

The top mounted camera on the Cyclops is in a good position to use when navigating on the surface, although generally there's much more concern for running aground in the shallows than colliding with a surface vessel (unless you like to build and park unnecessarily large numbers of subs all over the map).
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Besides, why would you need a periscope when you can have a pair of Skope?
    You're right. That was...that was just bad.

I'll just show myself out...

There are no words.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017

There are no words.

I'm calling the pun police!

@ topic, this ain't no military operation*

allegedly 1.gif
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    edited October 2017
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members

Boo.
    (Both October and the pun was terrible)
  • ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
    LOL okay ask a dumb question.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Forgerer wrote: »
    LOL okay ask a dumb question.

Don't blame us, blame the messenge.... Wait...

YEAH, blame yourself!

And @Skope, blame mostly Skope :D
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Goddamnt @Skope, look at what you did :D
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Actually, modern subs use cameras on their periscope-whatever masts, AFAIK (they don't use optical tubes any more that I know of, anyways).
    edited October 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Actually, modern subs use cameras on their periscope-whatever masts, AFAIK (they don't use optical tubes any more that I know of, anyways).

Well they are called " photonics masts" in this day and age after all. And they can be monitored on a monitor, rather than having the captain look through the thing and wait for the "WTF IS UP THERE" bit he eventually reveals to the crew :D
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited October 2017
    Goddamnt @Skope, look at what you did :D

I regret nothing.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Personally, I wish we had Camera Drones to use on the Cyclops like the Scanner Room does. It would make navigating tight areas like the Lost River a bit easier, and it would make location scouting easier (move Drone A to a spot 450 meters ahead, exit and it has a ping, then drive the Cyclops up to that point)

It's a lot easier than moving the Exosuit and the Cyclops one at a time down to a point, having to swim the distance repeatedly between the two vehicles.