The games ending should be optional (And not even preffered)

124»

Comments

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited September 2017
    sayerulz wrote: »
    And foxy, you can't intimidate me. Either ban me and be done with it or leave me be. I've broken a few rules, but no more than anyone else. But I did disagree with the majority, and continued to do so even when the world is stacked against me, and so if that's a crime, go ahead, ban me.

But I would do so while considering what you might think if you saw someone on the street saying to another: "We told you not to talk about that, but you just couldn't keep quiet, could you? You're willing to put it all on the line because you don't want to get in line with all the others? Now we're going to have to make you disappear."

My lord man, must this be so dramatic? This is a forum about a video game, not a mob drama! Cool your jets!
    QuillShot wrote: »
    I am really dissapointed with the fact that the game has an ending. Just like i was with terraria when it "ended" but it had alot of content before getting there at least.

What happened to arctic zone? Or other zones for that part. There is so much potential for a big sandbox open world with many mechanics like special suits for the cold.
    One word: Progression. Giving the player a reason to keep playing. Something to explore.

i want zones far away, far far away, thats what gives a good feeling of exploration.

Might as well throw my two cents in too. Terraria's original "ending" came after what amounted to not a whole lot of content compared to what it has now. I believe the same thing could feasibly happen to SN. Expansions, updates, and possible mods are all things that could give the game more content if you feel there isn't enough. Sure, it might take a while, but Rome wasn't built in a day, and Terarria was released 6 years ago. IMO, there's enough content, but I can understand how that might not be the case for some. You may just have to give it a little time. :smile:
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Staying on the planet isn't as unusual as one might think, from both psychological and emotional point of view. Having an actual choice - once we are not prisoners anymore, but have the possibility to leave at any moment - makes staying behind and rejecting the heavily regulated civilised world rather easy.

From my own perspective as a player, an open-ended game that lets me explore, get creative in some way, build a home and become part of a new world, will always be far superior to a game that simply ends, rolls credits, and forces me to start from scratch if I want more.

Personally, I'd love to have a brief cutscene after the rocket is complete, where the player character gets ready to get in, then looks back at the ocean and hesitates. At this point, we could be given a choice of staying or leaving (could be as simple as clicking an option on screen), and the cutscene would follow that choice with the view of the character either boarding the rocket or returning to the sea.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited September 2017
    Might as well throw my two cents in too. Terraria's original "ending" came after what amounted to not a whole lot of content compared to what it has now. I believe the same thing could feasibly happen to SN. Expansions, updates, and possible mods are all things that could give the game more content if you feel there isn't enough. Sure, it might take a while, but Rome wasn't built in a day, and Terarria was released 6 years ago. IMO, there's enough content, but I can understand how that might not be the case for some. You may just have to give it a little time. :smile:

New zones, new mechanics, side-plots to follow... There's a lot that could be done in due time. At 1.0 there's still a lot to do if you put your mind to it (Some of us have hundreds of hours in the game, and I replay it frequently still!) but there's still so much more room for building on what we have. Look at the plans for the Transfuser, and their wanting to keep the old Terraformer around because it looked so cool - think of what that might be used for.

Heck, maybe - and this is going on quite a stretch here - maybe they might expand the Lost River and Inactive Lava Zone in the future. I get that some of those changes were made because of redundant entrances or because it was intruding on the planned story progression, but if you look at it in another light: That sort of variety is what always contributed to Open World games, rather than detracting from it... And I often tend to ignore Fallout/ElderScroll's stories to go about taming wildernesses and building settlements or just doing whatever most of the time. After a while, I'd just want to do the same in Subnautica - just go about and play it as I like. Granted, you can't really "skip" parts of the story, but the whole world is there for you to travel as you wish in whatever order you want to - and you can bump up against later story locations at times, but they're usually locked to you until you went through the proper order to get to them. Subnautica could be like that too: Have all the interconnecting zones and tunnels and whatnot, but then lock the story locations behind keys you need to get in a specific order so to not disrupt intended story progression.

So maybe someday, we might see those zones expanded again - maybe not in the way we saw them when in development (The Dunes is pretty much permanently sealed now that the meteor is there, unless you drill under it and find a new cave...) but maybe still. And hey, if even a year or two from now the player is still expected to not skip parts of the story (Even though it's easy to do so currently) they could put in some ILZ spots that aren't connected to the main chamber. I'd imagine that there'd still be some pockets here and there in the depths to explore...
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Staying on the planet isn't as unusual as one might think, from both psychological and emotional point of view. Having an actual choice - once we are not prisoners anymore, but have the possibility to leave at any moment - makes staying behind and rejecting the heavily regulated civilised world rather easy.

From my own perspective as a player, an open-ended game that lets me explore, get creative in some way, build a home and become part of a new world, will always be far superior to a game that simply ends, rolls credits, and forces me to start from scratch if I want more.

Personally, I'd love to have a brief cutscene after the rocket is complete, where the player character gets ready to get in, then looks back at the ocean and hesitates. At this point, we could be given a choice of staying or leaving (could be as simple as clicking an option on screen), and the cutscene would follow that choice with the view of the character either boarding the rocket or returning to the sea.

With the massive bill you whipped up just by collecting a diamond, I'm pretty sure that by the time you reach the point you can leave.... You'd have a bill that you wouldn't be able to repay a third of even if you worked the rest of your life! With that in mind, why would you WANT to leave? XD

Especially since those Shallows are pretty darn beautiful... It'd be like a permanent vacation!
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    3. (Hiding my part behind spoiler tags for storyline):
    The game itself addresses that this isn't the only location the Carar bacteria has infected. There are apparently tons of planets where it has been quarantined off in order to search for a cure. And it's from a local creature. One that could very potentially not travel to other locations..... but the question becomes: why choose those other planets? Do they have similar creatures that showed immunity? Or could we, perhaps, be searching for one that's more 'portable'?

So the potential for the game to move to other worlds is out there, with a good, solid reason for *why* we would, and tech potentials for being *able* to move across worlds (the opening of the game describes warpgates, after all, for interstellar travel).

Sequels and DLC can open up a lot. :)
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    With the massive bill you whipped up just by collecting a diamond, I'm pretty sure that by the time you reach the point you can leave.... You'd have a bill that you wouldn't be able to repay a third of even if you worked the rest of your life! With that in mind, why would you WANT to leave? XD

Especially since those Shallows are pretty darn beautiful... It'd be like a permanent vacation!
    Ha ha, so very true, I completely forgot about that! Still, being the only human on the whole planet is a very important factor to consider here. There are people who require social interactions to function properly on a psychological level. Also, we aren't told anything about the player character's relatives in the game, but I can imagine at least some people would be willing to risk anything for a chance to get back home to friends and/or family. That's why I think it would be nice to have that choice at the end of the storyline.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    Agreed with the people here - this game really needs and open ending option for those who don't care all that much about the story and focus on survival/creative instead.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Victor32 wrote: »
    Agreed with the people here - this game really needs and open ending option for those who don't care all that much about the story and focus on survival/creative instead.

That's what creative mode is though.
    And your point is? Creative mode offers no challenge. At all. No oxygen, no water, no food, no damage, nada. I want that for realism's sake, AND I want the possibility to play indefinitely via storyline, not just by not answering messages or not building the rocket. Surely it will not take anything form your game enjoyment if we have that OPTION added, right?
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    And your point is? Creative mode offers no challenge. At all. No oxygen, no water, no food, no damage, nada. I want that for realism's sake, AND I want the possibility to play indefinitely via storyline, not just by not answering messages or not building the rocket. Surely it will not take anything form your game enjoyment if we have that OPTION added, right?

You just answered your question. Don't answer the radio, the story stops. Play forever. Use the cheat to unlock blueprints, to bypass story progression. Don't hit launch in the rocket, the story stops. Play forever. This way you don't need cheats, but unlock everything properly. Complete the story by launching the rocket, you'll just be loaded back into the world. Play forever. What do you want in "indefinitely via storyline" that these options already available, doesn't give you? If you just want more story post launch. That's what future DLC or free addons would do. But you have to wait for that. Or do you mean you want one different line of dialog. Where the character himself doesn't want to leave. So that it just makes the forever story concrete? An ending choice like Mass Effect.
    edited October 2017
    Is it so hard to understand or am I not making myself clear? Sure I can achieve open ending by... well, not playing parts of the game, but I want this to be a legitimate option for my character, not a workaround.

People play this game for many reasons - survival, base building, storyline, exploration, what-have-you. I like to focus on the story and everything my character has to go through from the moment Aurora crashed. It's a perfectly valid choice for my character to want to stay on the island and I want the story to reflect that. Via cutscene, a message I can send, an option I can click. Anything that would make this decision a part of the actual storyline, so it's not just a choice I made as a player to avoid certain parts of gameplay.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Anything that would make this decision a part of the actual storyline, so it's not just a choice I made as a player to avoid certain parts of gameplay.

Isn't choosing not to launch the rock a decision you as the character could/would make during part of the actual story line?

I'm just not fully seeing the issue here with building the rocket and then deciding to just not launch it because going back to a mega million credit bill from Alterra doesn't sound appealing? I can understand why the guy would build the rocket even if he never planned to leave too, it's a good idea to have an escape plan in place, just in case you need to leave due to some kind of ELE (extinction level event) occurring, or developing some health problem that requires surgical intervention to survive.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Is it so hard to understand or am I not making myself clear? Sure I can achieve open ending by... well, not playing parts of the game, but I want this to be a legitimate option for my character, not a workaround.

People play this game for many reasons - survival, base building, storyline, exploration, what-have-you. I like to focus on the story and everything my character has to go through from the moment Aurora crashed. It's a perfectly valid choice for my character to want to stay on the island and I want the story to reflect that. Via cutscene, a message I can send, an option I can click. Anything that would make this decision a part of the actual storyline, so it's not just a choice I made as a player to avoid certain parts of gameplay.

Ok, Let's consider the options:

Choice A: Devs use their time to fix bugs (terrain glitches, Aurora hull, cyclops clipping, indestructable crashfish, etc) and get the game bug - free before launch.

OR

Choice B: Devs use their time to create a new game mode, remove certain parts of the game, and leave the bugs for later.

I think the choice is obvious, innit?

Note: I'm all for having a no - story mode... just add it after 1.0. Get the bugs fixed first.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Looks like I missed quite the discussion on here over the last few days...

Anyways, on the topic of the OP I think that short of a massive shift in focus to add an interesting endgame state, this game needs an ending. The world isn't big enough or the crafting/mechanics interesting enough to carry the gameplay by itself for more than a few hours. The player needs an ultimate goal to work towards. As it is now, the ending is entirely optional already and the player can sit around and build random stuff all day if they want to and never launch the final rocket.

That said, the story as it exists now does definitely have some (major) issues with not enough content or motivation for the player. At this point I don't see much changing storywise (maybe more PDAs/logs at most), so my hope is that the devs set things up to be easily able to extend the game with DLC and mods.