Where should I start building a massive base? It can be in creative, or survival

SubnaticbroV2SubnaticbroV2 Join Date: 2017-04-24 Member: 229918Members

Comments

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Building a base is based on some factors all of them are personal

1-building it near a biome or in a biome that you like

2-building it near a place full of a recource you want it to be easy for you to get (or you can just go to that location quickly with the seamoth)

3-building it near biomes that you go to a lot

So in short it's up to you to decide where to put it for me i put 4 bases (medium size) one in the grassy plateu and one in the cove tree and one in the active lava zone and one in the grand reef
  • Xenodrone98Xenodrone98 U.S Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221726Members
    I would say the ILZ as I built a giant base there. It has its downfalls though
  • FunkyianFunkyian Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228407Members
    I find the shallows is good because its right in the center of the map and its generally peaceful there (also solar panels are a good source for power if you build there)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Depends...

Do you want it to be massively wide or massively tall or both?

The Shallows is best for the first;
    The drop-off at the start of the Blood Forest is best for the second;
    And there are several locations that would work quite well for the last.

So, OTHER would be my poll choice.
    B)
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I prefer a bunch of small/medium bases. Three equidistant to each other with moonpools. A few smaller ones hidden in cave systems :) Lots more challenge than building a monster-home!
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    My main starting base is always in the Shallows or close to it, because that's the only place you can get both coral for water, and coral for making bunches of needed computer chips. I've made large bases in lots of places. The Floating Island is one - you can build on the top for beautiful views, solar power, and access to the mountain island warpgate, and put down a large connector straight down into the water, then build all over the place under the giant floaters. The Mushroom Forest gives you beautiful views at night. The Lava Zone can be fun, having an observation base for the giant sea dragon. The Lost River tree is a good place, with the beautiful ghost rays swimming all over the place. So, I say whatever you want! It's even fun building south of the Aurora and make a base for studying Reapers.
  • SubnaticbroV2SubnaticbroV2 Join Date: 2017-04-24 Member: 229918Members

What are the downfalls?
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members

What are the downfalls?

Absolutely no resources.
    kingkuma wrote: »

What are the downfalls?

Absolutely no resources.

Ah, ok, that a pretty big downfall
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    If you want a challenge the Lava Lakes. I'm building a 3rd base right near the PCF. Titanium is a pain to get down there. And the Sea King clips through the stupid wall. But it's such an amazing area to look out on. 0xc9v42gm734.png
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited September 2017
    None of the above. Grand Reef, Deep Grand Reef or Lost River in the Tree Cove. Any of those are great base locations, in my persoal opinion.

Shallows is way too... shallow.
    Blood Kelp Forest is too...kelpy.
    Inactive Lava Zone is too... hot.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    If you want a challenge the Lava Lakes. I'm building a 3rd base right near the PCF. Titanium is a pain to get down there. And the Sea King clips through the stupid wall. But it's such an amazing area to look out on. 0xc9v42gm734.png

Now that just seems like a bad idea son, talk about hotsauce yo o/

- So where do you live
    - Oh, inside an active volcano
    - WUT!
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    You should find an open area in the blood kelp trench and make a base in it
  • Pilipin0_pridePilipin0_pride Join Date: 2017-09-29 Member: 233295Members
    edited September 2017
    Funkyian wrote: »
    I find the shallows is good because its right in the center of the map and its generally peaceful there (also solar panels are a good source for power if you build there)

True, but try maneuvering a Cyclops through it. XD
    I'm building a base overlooking the Grand Reef, cuz I'm too scared of Bonesharks to build in the Bulb Zone.
    Funkyian wrote: »

True, but try maneuvering a Cyclops through it. XD
    I'm building a base overlooking the Grand Reef, cuz I'm too scared of Bonesharks to build in the Bulb Zone.

True...true
  • dewidewi Netherlands Join Date: 2017-09-29 Member: 233299Members
    I'm just starting out and thought I'd read this topic because I'm about to build my first base. You guys are way ahead of me though! No idea where some of these areas are, lol. Will explore some more...
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    dewi wrote: »
    I'm just starting out and thought I'd read this topic because I'm about to build my first base. You guys are way ahead of me though! No idea where some of these areas are, lol. Will explore some more...

Be careful. Threads can spoil some surprises.
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    I played the game 5 times now. The best place I found to build a base is on a pillar which is very near Safe Shallows, Blood Kelp Forest and Grassy Plateau. Further more, the entrance of the Shroom cave is less than 200m away, Desert is maybe 700m away, and the "easy to find corridor" to the Grand Reef is 500m away following the ridge. There is also a thermal source 250m away which make quite easy to get energy with 3-4 relays.

Very easy to get directions.

At that location, you can build a base vertically. It's quite easy access for the Cyclops as you don't need to cross the Shallows.

All resources are very near, except for Lithium. The shroom forests are quite far.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Warzouz wrote: »
    I played the game 5 times now. The best place I found to build a base is on a pillar which is very near Safe Shallows, Blood Kelp Forest and Grassy Plateau. Further more, the entrance of the Shroom cave is less than 200m away, Desert is maybe 700m away, and the "easy to find corridor" to the Grand Reef is 500m away following the ridge. There is also a thermal source 250m away which make quite easy to get energy with 3-4 relays.

Very easy to get directions.

At that location, you can build a base vertically. It's quite easy access for the Cyclops as you don't need to cross the Shallows.

All resources are very near, except for Lithium. The shroom forests are quite far.
    I really like that location as well, near (-249,-8,-477). It will be interesting to see how it plays out in my new Experimental game.

I build a Foundation on the highest peak. It will just be awash and Solar Panels built on it will have the highest power output. Then lower down, I build a line of Foundations roughly on the west side. If they snap align with the Foundation above, they will share power. It's important to test build all the Foundations (1 above, 3 below) to make sure they align correctly and can take the base layout of Glass Corridor - MFR - MFR with a Moonpool off of each MFR over the edge to the west. Want to fix alignment now before filling the base with stuff.

Once the Foundations are good, on them I build the initial Glass Corridor I always start a base with (along with 6 Wall Lockers, Fabricator, Comm Relay, Medkit Fab, Battery Charger, later several Powercell Chargers), then one and eventually two MFRs.

The first MFR becomes my storage room. I put in two sets of 5 Lockers edge-on (AKA Locker Libraries, thought up by another player), then added 2 Water Filtration Machines and a bunch of plant and wall pots to hold food plants from the Volcano and Floating Isles. If I want added power, I build another MFR on top of the 1st one and put in a plant there.

In the second MFR, I put 3 Lockers each flat against 2 walls leaving the centre for Alien Containment. When I get Alien Containment, I build up the second MFR into a stack several high and put in at least a 3 level fish tank. I continue it up high enoujgh to have an MFR above water, which I put in 8 windows. Being above water, they don't affect the Hull Integrity of the base.

Further to the west, off of each MFR stack I add on at first one and later a second Moonpool. On the first Moonpool, I add a Scanner Room and an Observatory.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I voted for anywhere since that seemed like the catchall option.

My favorite spot for an epic base is the floating island. The island is nice to look at and just walk around on the paths and is relatively safe. Plus that central cove with ocean access is perfect for building a concealed submarine base. If you want to roleplay the base, it's the meeting point for any survivors so you could pretend that you're not the only one there. It also has a teleporter to the mountain island and relatively easy access to the Lost River.

The main downside is that it's off in a corner of the map and the island itself doesn't really have any resources (except plants and things to scan) on the island itself or thermal vents. Since the island is floating, you'll also need a satellite base on the ocean floor for a PRAWN suit (which also happens to be close to a significant amount of resources in the DGR and a teleporter to the PCF).

The mountain island is a runner-up as well (I like my island bases more than the super deep sea ones).
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    8tkpmuadwp7c.jpg

This was where I used to always build my base, but they scrapped this entire area and completely changed it to turn it into a transition into the crag biome.
    Fluffers wrote: »
    8tkpmuadwp7c.jpg

This was where I used to always build my base, but they scrapped this entire area and completely changed it to turn it into a transition into the crag biome.

Yeah, that really sucked....but there are other spots in the weird alien sea planet thingy...
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    ILZ because 1. power won't be an issue lol, 2. You will have many opportunities to try out some defense mechanisms which will be cool, and 3. It would just be awesome to have a "Lava Fortress"
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited October 2017
    Near the gun island, next to the moonpool, because: Lots of Uranium, Sun, Thermal, and Plant life. (Power) Teleporters to Lost river, ILZ, ALZ, Crag Field, Bulb zone, Floating Island and Mushroom forest.(Navigation) No hostile fauna, except for a single warper. ( The reapers won't bother you near the moonpool). Epic alien structure with cyclops parking space. (The GUN), Food for days( Plants/ spadefish) The only disadvantage is that getting titanium, quartz or table coral are pains, but the kelp forest/ safe shallows isn't that far away. Also, you could re-scan the fragments at the mountains wreck near the bottom of the island for titanium, and the PCF has table coral in it. For quartz, the Blood kelp has more than you'd ever need.

Like this:
    g8gvu60ll86j.jpg
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Near the gun island, next to the moonpool, because: Lots of Uranium, Sun, Thermal, and Plant life. (Power) Teleporters to Lost river, ILZ, ALZ, Crag Field, Bulb zone, Floating Island and Mushroom forest.(Navigation) No hostile fauna, except for a single warper. ( The reapers won't bother you near the moonpool). Epic alien structure with cyclops parking space. (The GUN), Food for days( Plants/ spadefish) The only disadvantage is that getting titanium, quartz or table coral are pains, but the kelp forest/ safe shallows isn't that far away. Also, you could re-scan the fragments at the mountains wreck near the bottom of the island for titanium, and the PCF has table coral in it. For quartz, the Blood kelp has more than you'd ever need.

Like this:
    g8gvu60ll86j.jpg

Wow, you really thought that out huh? impressive
  • Seph64Seph64 Join Date: 2017-01-13 Member: 226658Members
    Before the infected update, I would build in the Lost River in the place before the Big Cove tree, but when the infected update came I had to restart my save because when I updated my save, I found myself trapped within the bones of a long dead Sea Dragon Leviathan.

I still plan to build down there, eventually. Precarious as that may be because of a certain new mob that I do not want to deal with right now.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    edited October 2017
    I tend to build my very first base in the Grassy Plains, near the ship (but not *too* near). Basically I wait until I have the rad suit before I build, and set up shop there. My favorite area is in the crash zone right at the overhang to the mushroom forest, but that's a little riskier; you have to make sure you're not within the Reaper Leviathan's spawn/patrol zone (obviously!). I recommend using pod 4 as a landmark and building close to it if you're going this route; that's where my present 'big base' is.

My second base is usually within the Grand Reef, though this time I built a 'modular' base near the dunes: a big base with moonpools, battery and power cell rechargers, and aquariums for bioreactor power, and a tiny observation outpost with lots of bioreactors, a melon farm, and a water filtration system down in the dunes themselves. The outpost is where I can watch a reaper leviathan, and warpers, so the moonpools are well out of the way. It's not too far from the channel down to the Lost River, while my other base is not too far from the other end (although I learned that part accidentally!).

I'm intending to build my third base deep in the Lost River. Potentially one in the lava zone as well, considering the 'endless power' situation, but while getting materials in the Lost River isn't too bad, getting them in the Lava Zone is going to be a royal *bitch*.

Like this:
    g8gvu60ll86j.jpg

I planned it out on graph paper.
    edited October 2017

Like this:
    g8gvu60ll86j.jpg

I planned it out on graph paper.

Noice
  • EpsylvenEpsylven Viet Nam Join Date: 2018-02-28 Member: 238407Members
    Just wait fo The Aurora to explode and you can build anywhere