Non-violent FP Action Games

Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
Don't get me wrong - I'd still play Subnautica after they brought in low yield tactical nuclear weapons. But I'm kinda intrigued with this experiment to make a popular carnage-free first-person action-game.

I'm also pretty curious to see it if goes on to influence the direction of game design in the future. Or is that already happening and I've just had my head in sand of 4546B too long? I know and love the Portal series (check). I realise that most of my beloved stealth games can be played murder-free (more of a niche option for the most hardcore players though).

Thoughts / recommendations?

Comments

• SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    edited September 2017
    It's rather difficult in most cases to make a carnage free first person action game from what I've seen, but there are a few out there.

Crossworlds: Escape comes to mind http://store.steampowered.com/app/511430/CrossWorlds_Escape/

The Long Dark could fit the bill as well: http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/The_Long_Dark/

Eternal Winter: http://store.steampowered.com/app/325210/Eternal_Winter/

Stranded Deep: http://store.steampowered.com/app/313120/Stranded_Deep/

Take On Mars: http://store.steampowered.com/app/244030/Take_On_Mars/

I can't speak as to the quality or length of fun of most of these given I've never played them, but they do have a focus on exploration and survival over carnage and violent confrontation as a main goal.

Edit: A couple more I remembered

Rising World: http://store.steampowered.com/app/324080/Rising_World/

Lost in Pacific: http://store.steampowered.com/app/655290/Lost_in_Pacific/

Planet Explorers: http://store.steampowered.com/app/237870/Planet_Explorers/
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    edited September 2017
    I'm currently playing INFRA, which released its last 3 chapters yesterday: http://store.steampowered.com/app/251110/INFRA/

You play a technical engineer tasked with investigating various public works sustaining a modern city with water and electrical power. Your only weapons are a torchlight and a camera to snap pictures of damaged infrastructures and other unsafe situations. The game goes to great lengths to showcase believable locations such as a power station, a dam or even an abandoned steel factory. It's linear but also a pretty neat experience to play too.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    *looks up from blood-soaked radioactive wasteland*

... Eh, not that.

Lemme see... well, you've probably heard of minecraft, but two other lesser-known games in that vauge genera come to mind: Starmade and From The Depths.

Don't expect minecraft from either one, mostly they are just similar in that you make things out of voxel objects, most of which are cubes.

They are rather similar to each other though. They are building games centered around constructing vehicles, one in space and the other in the sea (I'll give you three guesses which is which). There is a lot of combat involved, but it's all pretty much machine-on-machine, and blood is entirely absent.

Starmade has functional multiplayer, but the community and their servers have their own complex politics that mean that servers with tags like "PvP" and "Survival" should be approached with caution, as several forumside factions that can be rather toxic exist, and serverside factions, well, who knows?

FTD has semi-functional Co-op mode, but is mostly a singleplayer game. Building is VERY complex, and it can take a LONG time and considerable effort and patience to make something functional, and I have about 300 hours and I still can't make anything properly effective.

They are both pretty much made by a single guy, and their developers and employees are far friendlier and more active on their forums than subnautica's, as well as actually acknowledging players concerns and often implementing suggestions.

• ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    I just had massive nostalgia right now

Good times indeed
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited September 2017
    @sayerulz If you wanted a block - based spaceship building game, try space engineers. Google it. It's like starmade, but with good graphics, programmable blocks, and a campaign mode. Try it.
    Links to offiial vids:

kubh8fmue3ur.png
    I own SE, and it sucks because everything explodes if you look at it too hard, weapons do no damage, you have like .00001% of the ship building options as starmade, and also it makes me sick.

Starmade is better, and also has logic gates that people have used to do things that SE programable blocks could never do, such as interactable "AIs" and simple games.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I own SE, and it sucks because everything explodes if you look at it too hard, weapons do no damage, you have like .00001% of the ship building options as starmade, and also it makes me sick.

Starmade is better, and also has logic gates that people have used to do things that SE programable blocks could never do, such as interactable "AIs" and simple games.

Sounds like something that could be cured with some decent mods, if they exist for SE.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    sayerulz wrote: »

Sounds like something that could be cured with some decent mods, if they exist for SE.

Some of the issues with Space Engineers go beyond what mods can fix. The explosions @sayerulz is talking about are likely part of the clipping and geometry problems I and others have seen in the game. Worse for on-planet bases, but can be an issue even in space. Haven't touched SE for a while, so some of this may have been addressed by base game updates.
    SE does have a reasonably active workshop, including weapons mods that are a must-have if you don't want battles to feel like two space marines trying to kill each other with .22's.

However, mods can't really do anything about the physics issues that cause objects to spazz out and destroy everything in their general vicinity at the slightest provocation, a phenomenon general attributed to "Klang", SE's dark god of collision issues and general glitchyness.

They also can't really do much about the inferior level of ship design options. That's just a part of how SE is set up. To give an idea of what can be done in starmade:

cuufwvmzrrhu.png

k3pjghyzbbrx.png

dmq2a6r7wjdt.png

That's not just an object or a static building either, it's a fully functioning ship with an interior, weapons, engines, everything a spaceship needs to be a spaceship. Note that this is not something I can do, but creations like this are definitely not atypical of the community content section. SE.... you just can't do this sort of thing in SE. If you tried to make a ship that large, not only would it not have the same level of custom detail (as SE blocks are larger), but the game would crash like 10% of the way through.

FTD can't handle things on this level either, but what it does have is a vastly greater engineering aspect than SM or (ironically) SE. Actually, of those three, SE is probably the one with the least actual engineering.
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    edited September 2017
    Thanks your ample suggestions people, you've given me plenty to chase down. I appreciate you making it easy by adding all the links. Wow, you guys really know your chosen subject area!

Hey @Tarkannen , great little mini-reviews there - you've really got a knack for it.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Empyrion works too - has a nice exploration vibe and crafting. Unfortunately the AI is pretty non-existent at a strategic level, so it doesn't have that prolonged a gameplay as a single player game after you've discovered everything.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited October 2017
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Empyrion works too - has a nice exploration vibe and crafting. Unfortunately the AI is pretty non-existent at a strategic level, so it doesn't have that prolonged a gameplay as a single player game after you've discovered everything.

I've put a couple of hundred hours into Empyrion Galactic Survival and definitely agree the AI is pretty basic. That game has a big multiplayer element that seems to get most the focus. It's a fun little game because you can build some really and truly beautiful bases and build your own hover crafts, small spaceships, large spaceships, space stations, etc. They are continuing development, and it continues to improve.