Horrible pop-in / LOD issues

Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
Hey All,

Back playing Subnautica again after something like a 6-8 month hiatus and started noticing some pretty horrible pop-in issues with terrain and detail away from the shallows that I don't remember ever being so bad beforehand. I also understand the game is pretty close to full release (congrats devs!) so I was just wondering what is being done to hopefully resolve this?

I saw that there is a "fade in" option under the graphic settings that sounded like it should have at least improved it somewhat but I've found it either does nothing for my experience or may even be a bit worse from what I can tell and have disabled this option again. I've also installed the game on my HDD this time instead of my SSD and so might try and reinstall back on the SSD but I can't think that's a proper solution for the issue and I feel it may not be mitigated all that much anyway due to the severity of the pop-in, it's very obviously an issue.

I'm running an i7 2600k for anyone's information as I saw elsewhere some people were putting it down to CPU performance/ bottlenecking.

- Hyp3rion

Comments

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    All the fade in option does is give any item that loads in a fade effect. It doesn't fix pop-in, it just makes it look a little better.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Could try bumping detail settings to max if your GPU can handle it (some report better performance that way).
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    edited September 2017
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    All the fade in option does is give any item that loads in a fade effect. It doesn't fix pop-in, it just makes it look a little better.

Except that it hasn't made my pop-in look any better. It doesn't fade in in any way that I can discern with this option ticked, it still "pops" into existence or greater detail as I draw closer.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Could try bumping detail settings to max if your GPU can handle it (some report better performance that way).

Already running at max settings with good frame rate.

This feels like a bug or severe un-optimisation / incomplete LOD implementation. From what I understand, they've gone away from voxel based terrain whether the new terrain is part of what is causing this? I know when you could still modify the terrain that this pop-in was not the issue then as it is now. I remember minor pop-in that I always thought would be resolved with later versions and optimisation leading up to release, with release around the corner though this doesn't feel right and is why to me it feels like a dev issue rather than individual config or PC performance capabilities. I saw there was a trello on this matter at one stage when it actually was a bug but I think it was said it was to be fixed in a now past update?

- Hyp3rion
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    edited September 2017
    Looks like the matter is on their radar going of the below trello link:

https://trello.com/c/IYqj7kvv/6156-tune-algorithm-for-choosing-what-to-load-next-to-reduce-pop-in

Hopefully they can knock it on the head as it really diminishes the immersion into the game and general enjoyment of the beautiful game world they have created.

- Hyp3rion
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Hyp3rion wrote: »
    Morph_Guy wrote: »

Except that it hasn't made my pop-in look any better. It doesn't fade in in any way that I can discern with this option ticked, it still "pops" into existence or greater detail as I draw closer.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Already running at max settings with good frame rate.

This feels like a bug or severe un-optimisation / incomplete LOD implementation. From what I understand, they've gone away from voxel based terrain whether the new terrain is part of what is causing this? I know when you could still modify the terrain that this pop-in was not the issue then as it is now. I remember minor pop-in that I always thought would be resolved with later versions and optimisation leading up to release, with release around the corner though this doesn't feel right and is why to me it feels like a dev issue rather than individual config or PC performance capabilities. I saw there was a trello on this matter at one stage when it actually was a bug but I think it was said it was to be fixed in a now past update?

- Hyp3rion

Fun experiment: Open a console command box and put in
    item 514

Equip said item, and have a blast! (I think it's r-click to use, shift+r-click to put back)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    You're lucky you didn't play it before the Cuddle fish update. It was even far worse before then and got better lately. I assume the work on that is already in full progress.

Most players (including me) already got used to the performance hell.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Some players (including me) couldn't get used to the performance hell and are waiting for an update that smooths it out. It's been a long wait...

As for OP's topic- I haven't played Subnautica as long as you have but the big difference back then was installing Subnautica on a SSD. Seemed like the terrain pop-in required a lot of drive reading and doesn't occur until it also needs to render it in the same frame, so the only solution was to increase your read times as much as possible. Granted the last time I booted it up was over half a year ago so things might've changed since then, too. I know there was also an issue with the cache(would require clearing it) that would occur after putting a number of hours in but I think that might be resolved by now due to the various updates that have been released addressing it.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    One of the biggest bugs in the game that will likely drops its MetaCritic score a full 10 pts is the current graphic rending problems that present themselves as a wreck or mushroom forest that suddenly materializes out of nowhere completely encircling the player. We know they are working on the issue. But I'm not 100% convinced they will release the game before this full letter grade bug is resolved.