I wish this wasn't such a pacifist game....

2»

Comments

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    The torpedoes really could be reworked, or at least the hitboxes. Last time I tried to use a torpedo on a reaper at point-blank to get some time to escape the torpedo went through its head to create a vortex somewhere behind it. The only things the torpedoes work on I can outrun from any distance.

Stasis torpedoes would be rather useful as well.
  • JoE_SmashJoE_Smash Join Date: 2017-09-06 Member: 232825Members
    edited September 2017
    Well thanks for inadvertently answering the question I asked three times at least, in between all your preaching of pacifism.....the torpedoes are indeed useless....ok thanks!

I'm not looking for a FPS. Just wanted a way to defend myself. Guess that's not happening because of the Sandy Hook Shooting. I guess I want to kill giant creatures that are trying to eat me because I have Autism, allegedly like the Sandy Hook shooter. Us autistic types are all murderers don't you know?

I actually don't own a gun in real life, and have no plans for obtaining one....unless some type of society ending apocalypse happens. I don't have a problem with using weapons in video games....because it's fake. It's like a catharsis. I actually think violent video games give violent people an outlet for their violence. I don't think violent video games make violent people more violent, it probably makes it more likely that they won't commit violence in the real world because games offer a release in a fake world.

At least that's my opinion as a violent murderer with Autism...
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    garath wrote: »

[some totally inaplicable TV reference]

This scenario is why you probably don't want weapons of any kind on any of your distant traveling space ships.

No, that's why you don't be a jackass and massacre primitives. That's colonialisim backfiring, not guns.

I have no idea why you think it is not applicable. I'm saying giving fancy guns to anyone traveling off world might trigger an interstellar war that results in the utter extinction of the entire human race.

For all we know, the part of the planet we landed on might be a giant aquarium. If you go shooting up all the fish that you think are just dumb animals, how do we know someone on the planet won't utterly destroy you in response?

Maybe none of the fish are intelligent. But what if super high tech aliens are offended nonetheless?

This seems quite applicable.

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members

This scenario is why you probably don't want weapons of any kind on any of your distant traveling space ships.

No, that's why you don't be a jackass and massacre primitives. That's colonialisim backfiring, not guns.

I have no idea why you think it is not applicable. I'm saying giving fancy guns to anyone traveling off world might trigger an interstellar war that results in the utter extinction of the entire human race.

For all we know, the part of the planet we landed on might be a giant aquarium. If you go shooting up all the fish that you think are just dumb animals, how do we know someone on the planet won't utterly destroy you in response?

Maybe none of the fish are intelligent. But what if super high tech aliens are offended nonetheless?

Again; "that's why you don't be a jackass and massacre primitives. That's colonialisim backfiring, not guns."
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members

Well, if were talking about incredibly improbable scenarios that cannot realistically be predicted, how about aliens that have a very martial culture and are deeply offended that anyone would meet them without carrying weapons? Your getting into the same realm as getting struck by lightning, having a meteorite land directly on you head, being attacked by a rouge kangaroo, Ect. Sure, for all we know, any of these things could happen, but they're so mind-bogglingly improbable that preparing for them is pointless.
    Except that the lore of the game explicitly appears to chronicle some past event that is the reason there are no guns in the fabricator..,
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    The Kharaa don't seem to be very pleased with the invasion of their space. Want to send in the TSF without guns? They'd need to hire a graphics artist as well to change their logo, but that would also be the least of their problems :trollface:

TSF-blog-image.png
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    The Kharaa don't seem to be very pleased with the invasion of their space. Want to send in the TSF without guns? They'd need to hire a graphics artist as well to change their logo

TSF-blog-image.png

Cool cross game reference. Even if this epitomizes inapplicable references. :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    The Kharaa don't seem to be very pleased with the invasion of their space. Want to send in the TSF without guns? They'd need to hire a graphics artist as well to change their logo

TSF-blog-image.png

Cool cross game reference. Even if this epitomizes inapplicable references. :)

The government that send in the Aurora is part of the 37 Trans-Gov powers though. So they countenance the existence of the TSF, which includes the usage of armaments. Under strict rules of the Charter, signed by all Trans-Gov powers. Now of course their own space missions has certain laws/rules against the use of guns because of what happened on Obraxis Prime. But their government did agree to arm this small military force (which is more like a mercenary unit). And it's a good thing to, because the Kharaa are also fighting for their survival and they don't play nice with us humans...

So all this hippy pacifist crap is kinda hypocritical to some extent :D
    edited September 2017
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    It's not a mining vessel either. It's only purpose was to build that phasegate.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Originally, the story was that Aurora was a terraforming / mining vessel, the story has since changed.
    edited September 2017
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    It's not a mining vessel either. It's only purpose was to build that phasegate.

Oh oki, well my information is out of date it seems. Initially it was a terraformer, which then was changed to a planetary mining ship. To go back to being a terraformer and eventually become a long range transport ship, them devs are playing ping pong yo o/
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This has descended into a fair bit of nonsense. You've been quoted Flayra's post on why Subnautica is not a violent game, that should be enough.
This discussion has been closed.