Lethal weapons. Everything is not so stupid as it seems!

Diever112Diever112 Join Date: 2017-08-29 Member: 232703Members
I understand that no weapons are foreseen in the game. In it even there is an explanation, why the lethal weapon is not included in the set of drawings. But, it will be better than forcing players to kill the animals that are hindering them with the help of a knife and stasis-rifles. And if you did not want animals killed - you would not make them so weak. Leviathan the reaper died after 4 blows from a moth and several knocks with a knife. In order not to violate the atmosphere of the game, I will say that the weapon does not need to be of terrestrial origin and may not be included in the set of drawings. We can find him in one of the capsules with high-ranking persons or in someone's office or room on the Auror. Someone, perhaps, hid the weapon just in case, but it did not save him. If you do not find this idea stupid - I think the ideal weapon for the underwater world is needle gauge. It is quiet and is able to successfully fit into the theme of the game. Let it be hard to find, let it be weaker than a knife, but let it be. Sorry if I said something really stupid and you basically disagree with me. I'm just trying to help and I think it's a useful addition. I apologize in advance if my opinion does not coincide with yours and I remind you that this is just a prediction. Thank you. I will be glad for calm and constructive criticism.

Comments

• Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    edited August 2017
    I understand and appreciate them not using weapons.
    But I'm dumbfounded as to why there's TORPEDO in game. They don't even seem to serve for demolition purpose and opening ways.

...that being said, I still want to be able to DRILL PUNCH MONSTER into submission.
    There's "avoiding industry cheapass generic idea" and there "let's be carebear and pretend violence isn't often an acceptable solution".

Edit:
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    :trollface:
    I see I need to look for the full list of smiley here...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Just type

:

...and some random letter to see what comes up. I've also got the images (links) on here, which could be used as well
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited August 2017
    It sounds like they need to increase the health of all the creatures. I vote for a 10x increase in the health of all of them. :)

Oh, and take out all the sharp objects. Let's change the Survival Knife to a Survival Spoon. Try to kill a Reaper with a Survival Spork. :)

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    garath wrote: »
    It sounds like they need to increase the health of all the creatures. I vote for a 10x increase in the health of all of them. :)

Oh, and take out all the sharp objects. Let's change the Survival Knife to a Survival Spoon. Try to kill a Reaper with a Survival Spork. :)
    You forgot how dangerous spoons are
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Well, it depends on the application of the tool and the intent behind it. Ambulances are used to save lives, but a malicious driver could use one to run people down with. Lasers were designed for guidance assistance, but were repurposed for tactical weapons. Heck, gunpowder was originally invented for festivals and enjoyment... but someone decided to use it instead to propel lead into a lethal force. :neutral:

The point is, whether the creators of technology decide to make something beneficial to society for the betterment of mankind, there will always be someone who will try to repurpose it into a tactical advantage. Besides, it doesn't really matter whether the developers add weapons or not - their official stance is "No weapons!" and that's perfectly fine by us all. But when the game officially launches, there's nothing to stop modders from creating or adding in weapons to the game; and since it runs Unity there is a lot of room for adding such things to the game... :pensive:
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I think weapons would detract from the gameplay. I am not, before someone says it, anti-gun. But seriously - adding weaponry would dilute the challenge and the suspense and just turn Subnautica into single-player Halo where you happen to be swimming. And given the tech level humans obviously possess here - we have tools that fabricate complex machines more or less from thin air and rifles that can stop freaking time and have mastered faster-than-light travel - the things we produce intentionally as weapons are probably absurdly powerful. It's not like the gun blueprint for the fabricator would make a modern .303 hunting rifle - it'd be some sort of energy weapon that would casually reduce a reaper leviathan to a red yellow bubbly foam. And if the devs added a weapon and it wasn't that powerful, people would complain that it's too weak and doesn't line up with all the other tech in the game. And they'd have a point.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Well, it depends on the application of the tool and the intent behind it. Ambulances are used to save lives, but a malicious driver could use one to run people down with. Lasers were designed for guidance assistance, but were repurposed for tactical weapons. Heck, gunpowder was originally invented for festivals and enjoyment... but someone decided to use it instead to propel lead into a lethal force. :neutral:

The point is, whether the creators of technology decide to make something beneficial to society for the betterment of mankind, there will always be someone who will try to repurpose it into a tactical advantage. Besides, it doesn't really matter whether the developers add weapons or not - their official stance is "No weapons!" and that's perfectly fine by us all. But when the game officially launches, there's nothing to stop modders from creating or adding in weapons to the game; and since it runs Unity there is a lot of room for adding such things to the game... :pensive:

Everything is a weapon of opportunity in the right hands, including the hands themselves.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Everything is a weapon of opportunity in the right hands, including the hands themselves.

You mean the PRAWN's arms, right ;)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Challenge: How are you going to use fluffy kittens or puppies as a weapon?
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    edited September 2017
    The devs have flay out said no weapons in the game. They started development around the Sandy Hook shooting (if I remember right) and felt the game shouldn't have any weapons to reflect. "no violence" attitude. I personally like it as it makes the game diffrent. Almost every game these days has guns, and Subnuatica not makes it diffrent and helps it stand out.

But almost everything in the game, except for reefbacks and half a dozen species of small edible fish, is trying to kill US . . .

There's the grey murderfish. The red murderfish. The exploding murderfish. The murdercrab. The toothy murderfish. The burrowing murderfish. The armored murderfish. The HIGH VOLTAGE murderfish. The murdersquid. The fanged murderleviathan. The ghostly murderleviathan. Who knows what next?

Being not allowed to fight back is just completely unfair. I'd like to drop whatever Alterra executive programmed the PDA's emergency mode onto Manannan with just a pair of swim trunks and a knife and see how long it took before he was bawling for his mommy.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    edited September 2017

Everything is a weapon, if you can throw it fast enough.
    edited September 2017

Well, in addition to what @Alrekr_Ironhand said, if you add time, you can get some interesting results.

aggressive-cat_0.jpg

aggressive-golden-retriever.jpg

Side note: Golden Retriever owners apparently won't admit that their dogs do anything but drool happily as I think the picture I managed to link was of a Retriever wanting to play. Have definitely had one that would make your hair stand on end if it was dark and he didn't know it was you approaching the house (really low thunder growl, lol, he was pretty impressive. Until he realized who you were and tried to do a vertical takeoff with his tail).
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    tv38JqD.jpg

But seriously. They've said no plenty, have explained why, given it IN-UNIVERSE justification, and still, STILL this just won't die. As for those saying "Well everything is trying to kill us!", they're predatory creatures. It's what they do. You are FOOD. They're just trying to eat. They don't bust through the window of your seabase every time you take a bite out of a Peeper.
    tv38JqD.jpg

But seriously. They've said no plenty, have explained why, given it IN-UNIVERSE justification, and still, STILL this just won't die. As for those saying "Well everything is trying to kill us!", they're predatory creatures. It's what they do. You are FOOD. They're just trying to eat. They don't bust through the window of your seabase every time you take a bite out of a Peeper.

They even usually run off to find an easier snack when you fight back, so it's not like they're personally seeking your destruction. They're just curious & hungry.

You would throw these fluffballs? I think we know who the real weapon is :trollface:

@0x6A7232,
    But then they wouldn't be kittensNpuppers anymore, right...

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members

You would throw these fluffballs? I think we know who the real weapon is :trollface:

@0x6A7232,
    I know you can fight off Warpers with Spadefishes.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Other than this thread now being a joke thread, I have an opinion.

No, I do not want guns, as they would detract from the whole subnautica feel. Why shoot things when you can tactically freeze them in time and stab it a couple times. I think it adds more of a survival and horror feel. Also, a gun wouldn't fire when submerged in water if we're talking gunpowder. Laser rifles, I don't know.

Also, guns aren't Illegal in Federation space. Theyre just outlawed from being made by a survival fabricator, as then someone could easily make weapons out of one and kill people, like the Massacre on Obraxis Prime.

Also Obraxis Prime, Eh? Obraxis got his own planet now.

All in all, they shouldn't be added, but you guys don't understand it fully.

With a spaceship capable of relativistic speed and proper use of mass to energy conversion.
    edited September 2017
    Other than this thread now being a joke thread, I have an opinion.

No, I do not want guns, as they would detract from the whole subnautica feel. Why shoot things when you can tactically freeze them in time and stab it a couple times. I think it adds more of a survival and horror feel. Also, a gun wouldn't fire when submerged in water if we're talking gunpowder. Laser rifles, I don't know.

Also, guns aren't Illegal in Federation space. Theyre just outlawed from being made by a survival fabricator, as then someone could easily make weapons out of one and kill people, like the Massacre on Obraxis Prime.

Also Obraxis Prime, Eh? Obraxis got his own planet now.

All in all, they shouldn't be added, but you guys don't understand it fully.

You're gonna want some of them guns when you're the last one standing after six days in Sanjii!

With a spaceship capable of relativistic speed and proper use of mass to energy conversion.

Technically them fluffers would become projectiles instead of a weapon :tongue:
    edited September 2017
    edited September 2017

@0x6A7232,

@Kouji_San Well, I wanted to spare you this, but...

https://media.giphy.com/media/abZ5exGrse0W4/giphy.gif -->
    tumblr_mtlix1FYKg1rl84lro1_500.gif

...and as for pupper dogs:

PS:
    They're waiting for the next chapter of Downward Spiral *cough* @scifiwriterguy *cough*
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    Well its devs game and it is in their power to implement whatever they want, no matter how little sense it makes.

PS. During this weekend my friend shot a bear. Bears usually don't come that close to the town, probably that one was very hungry. To change your perspective on guns, one must live outside of city center for a while. Or get robbed / assaulted. Or get someone you care about / love raped and/or killed.

Domestic and feral cats have pretty different opinion about the surrounding world you know
    edited September 2017
    That's going to get political very fast if we don't take care.
    "Having a good opinion of something" or "something being a solution in a specific context" and "something being good in a general way" are all different things. I don't think you want a lecture about your 'solution' being the main source of your problems.

In hope of getting back to Subnautica, I just hope they don't nerf legitimate mean to harm away animals (who still have a sense of self-preservation) instead of coming up with game mechanic that justify you not making drill-puree of all animals. (I'm mentally imagining Altera-tech drill having failsafe activate when detecting meat)
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    Well its devs game and it is in their power to implement whatever they want, no matter how little sense it makes.
    That's going to get political very fast if we don't take care.

Don't worry I've got this!

The Super Mario series has mushrooms which give you more power, Subnautica has mushrooms which give you more power... There's the Cheep Cheep' vs Eyeye which both game have "going going"... Mario and Luigi also fight a big fire breathing turtle/dragon boss dude, Scuba Bob here has a fire breathing dragon boss dude...

Ergo, if a game as ludicrous as those Italian Plumbers fighting through the mushroom kingdom so save a princess from a turtle monster and all that that entails, can exist and no one bats an eye. Them devs can implement anything they want in Subnautica :D
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    The devs have flay out said no weapons in the game. They started development around the Sandy Hook shooting (if I remember right) and felt the game shouldn't have any weapons to reflect. "no violence" attitude. I personally like it as it makes the game diffrent. Almost every game these days has guns, and Subnuatica not makes it diffrent and helps it stand out.

But almost everything in the game, except for reefbacks and half a dozen species of small edible fish, is trying to kill US . . .

There's the grey murderfish. The red murderfish. The exploding murderfish. The murdercrab. The toothy murderfish. The burrowing murderfish. The armored murderfish. The HIGH VOLTAGE murderfish. The murdersquid. The fanged murderleviathan. The ghostly murderleviathan. Who knows what next?

Being not allowed to fight back is just completely unfair. I'd like to drop whatever Alterra executive programmed the PDA's emergency mode onto Manannan with just a pair of swim trunks and a knife and see how long it took before he was bawling for his mommy.

Why would Alterra, a big socialist dictatorship, want their citizens to own weapons? That would just be asking for trouble and rebellion
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2017

1. Delivery mechanism for a biological weapon (contagious viral or bacterial infestation)
    2. Rigged with explosives to be remotely detonated
    3. Alter their DNA so that their bodily excretions cause environmental damage
    4. Train them up via Pavlov techniques to attack when people least expect it
    5. Build up an arsenal of cute puppies/kitties so they outnumber humans, then the sleeper cells activate and they wrest world domination from humans (See: Boss Baby and Cats vs Dogs)

P.S. This post was made in jest, as it shouldn't be taken seriously. I mean, cute pets trying to take over the world? It's not like I've tipped my hand and revealed my ultimte plan... I mean-- I don't know anything about an invasion force! Th-that's just some... surveillance drones! Yeah, that's the ticket...

*Explosion in distance*

Everything is okay! That was just an... elephant that tripped and fell... Nothing to be concerned with here! :innocent:
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited September 2017
    This isn't a cat or dog but this exist.