Can there be *some* way to mass-move Lockers more efficiently?

TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
So, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had to deal with this before. In every playthrough of Subnautica, I've always worked out of my Lifepod 5 - slowly building up resources and unlocking blueprints; building a mini-base in a mixture of Compartments and Corridors with appliances. With this mini-base I explore the world, hoard up on resources until I have the tech to dive deep and relocate my base deeper under the ocean. That's where my anxiety sets in.

By this point in the game, I have the Seamoth built and perhaps have the singular Storage Compartment picked up from the Exosuit Bay in the Aurora - but not always. Whenever I have to relocate my base, I end up having to move multiple Lockers and their contents across the ocean, making many a trip across the waves to transport the goods. Even if I have the Storage Compartment installed, it can take at least five round-trips to deliver the goods. And in these more recent Experimental updates, I've had to relocate my Grand Reef base almost three times within the same biome. Due to various issues that came up, I had to move my base twice before, and was faced with moving it a third time (this time due to Power Transmitters still not working and needing to buddy up Foundations for power).

But I couldn't build the second story to my base as Lockers already put inside the first floor MP Room locked out the second-story addition. I couldn't build an MP Room behind my base as the terrain was too close to where I had started my base. Trying to move MP Rooms then made everything look out of place, and with the fact MP Rooms only build on the corners of Foundations, I was locked out with the space I needed to how I wanted my base to look. Add to that the fact that I had to displace and rebuild Lockers across multiple MP rooms just to get the Titanium I needed from old Foundations and MPRs, I finally lost my patience and just deleted my entire save file... It really shouldn't take over an hour just to move a small seabase (4 MP Rooms, a Moonpool, 9 appliances and 4 Lockers) to another location. :angry:

Now I know someone will just say "Just start a new file and console command what you need to get back to where you were before" and I must politely reply that I don't enjoy playing the game that way. I do love going through the game, uncovering technology and slowly working out to a point where I can be self-sufficient... if I were to just powerhouse my way through the game, then I might as well just WARP around to all of the story points and "beat" the game in under an hour. But on the flipside, having to redo thirty-plus hours of gameplay is incredibly tedious... I shouldn't have this much trouble relocating my bases so many times and have such a frustrating experience just because of the Lockers.

So! <<TL;DR>> can we possibly have a way to move Lockers with all of their contents intact between locations and not waste 30+ slots of inventory to do so for one locker at a time? I mean, Luggage Bags already work that way: You can load up the Bag with stuff, pick up the bag and tote it wherever and then drop it in a spot. Could Lockers be constructed with this logic? Perhaps after they're made they could be given the old Coffee Machine "pick up and place" logic - make it so they can be picked up and moved around, but have their contents stay in a vacuum? Even having a Locker taking up a 3x6 space in inventory would be easier than micromanaging dozens of 1x1 items in your inventory. If this is even remotely possible, I would vastly enjoy this change. :pensive:

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited August 2017
    The solution I use when moving bases is to build a ton of lockers on the Cyclops. Then, I transfer everything from the base to the Cyclops. You can fit a TON of lockers inside the Cyclops. So, you completely (well, maybe *almost* completely) disassemble your base. Then, you drive your Cyclops to the new location and assemble the new base. Since we already have a submarine that can hold a ridiculous number of lockers, I can't see the developers adding a new way to transfer stuff from place to place. After all... the only thing they could possibly implement to do the same thing would be... a submarine that can hold tons of lockers--which we already have.

It sounds to me like your main problem is the HUGE BUG in the game that prevents you from building a second MPR on top of another MPR if the first MPR has even one locker in it. That's the really annoying thing in this game.

After hundreds of hours of playing, I've learned I need to plan my base out ahead of time so I avoid the issue. It's not really a very pretty base. But I usually bow to expediency and start every new base with a 5 tall stack of MPR's.

With the Cyclops already able to hold so many lockers, in my opinion, there is already an easily workable solution to the issue of moving stuff from one base to another. Nope, in my opinion, the only real thing you mentioned is the absolutely insanely huge and possibly game breaking bug that is the problem with building a second multi purpose room on top of one that has even one thing in it. If you didn't plan ahead and build ALL the MPR's first, then.... Well, yeah, this bug is just so insanely huge. If they release the game without fixing it, they are complete and total idiots, I think.

Here's the post from @Tarkannen that links to the Trello bug for stacking MPR Rooms
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2356687#Comment_2356687

Here is the direct Trello link from that post:
    https://trello.com/c/1e3cR5fT/1064-48371-base-rooms-wont-stack-when-certain-items-are-on-the-walls
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    There's a plan to add a teleporter room not sure when it's going to get added but probably after 1.0 so here's a second solution but pretty far away from us atm
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I usually start a new base by building a Platform and Two MPR's. (one on top of the other)
    Either that or I build One MPR off to the side of where I actually want my base, as a temporary work space.

By doing the two-fer, I avoid not being able to add on more MPR's later on.

B)
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    Storage module/upgrade accessible from both inside/outside
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152391/storage-module-accessible-from-inside-outside-for-cyclops-seabase#latest

Don't lessen it much, but it would save on a lot of running in and out.
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152391/storage-module-accessible-from-inside-outside-for-cyclops-seabase#latest

This is a cool idea. I think someone also suggested making Seamoth / PRAWN storage accessible from within the Cyclops. That's one of the more annoying things for me. I get my Seamoth back to my Cyclops and park it under the front hatch. Then, I clear my personal inventory to one of the Cyclops lockers so I can run back and forth between the Seamoth and the Cyclops moving stuff from Seamoth to Cyclops. It's a pain. I wish I could just access the Seamoth from inside the Cyclops.

• orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    This wouldn't be so much of a problem if you didn't have to wait so unbearably long for the Multipurpose Room blueprint, at least if you're following the story and not going right there out of foreknowledge.

I have yet to come up with a truly satisfying permanent storage solution using corridors only, because they're so cramped. You need a room for real storage, and you need real storage immediately, not in-game weeks later when you discover the island. This results in building half-assed storage in corridors and the pressing need to then painfully move that in 30 or 50 Seamoth trips to a proper base. It's ugly, and restricting that blueprint virtually guarantees everyone has to go through this pain, as any other means of storage early-game is even more painful (waterproof lockers, ugh).
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    orobouros wrote: »
    This wouldn't be so much of a problem if you didn't have to wait so unbearably long for the Multipurpose Room blueprint, at least if you're following the story and not going right there out of foreknowledge.

I have yet to come up with a truly satisfying permanent storage solution using corridors only, because they're so cramped. You need a room for real storage, and you need real storage immediately, not in-game weeks later when you discover the island. This results in building half-assed storage in corridors and the pressing need to then painfully move that in 30 or 50 Seamoth trips to a proper base. It's ugly, and restricting that blueprint virtually guarantees everyone has to go through this pain, as any other means of storage early-game is even more painful (waterproof lockers, ugh).

If you dive to the JellyShroom caves, you can pick it up earlier (or just beeline to the floating island once you get the Scanner).
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    If I have foreknowledge of something, I make excuses that fit the story. For example, one of the messages says to meet at the landmass to the south.

For base building, place your first corridor(I prefer x corridor for additional space) as if it were attached to the mp room you want to have. Place your hatch where your mp room will be built. Then, when you get the mp room, unbuild the hatch, build the mp room(and anything you want stacked on it). Build lockers in the new mp room, transfer stuff by walking/running. If you don't plan to use your corridor, it can now be deconstructed. (the only downside is, subnautica tends to keep parts of a base in memory until every piece of the base is deconstructed. Don't do massive bases to deconstruct)
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

If you dive to the JellyShroom caves, you can pick it up earlier (or just beeline to the floating island once you get the Scanner).

What part of "if you're following the story and not skipping ahead out of foreknowledge" did you not understand? If I avoid a painful and tedious gameplay experience only by knowing exactly where to go ahead of time, how is that a good thing?

Also, the shroom caves are deep enough that the only way to successfully scan the Degasi base there without an UPGRADED seamoth (i.e., post-Aurora or post-moonpool, both fairly mid-game and definitely way after you should have the MPR blueprint), is to know exactly where the opening above that base is (foreknowledge), and somehow have the rebreather blueprint, which unlocks even later IIRC. Without that, you drown down there before you can do anything.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited August 2017

What part of "if you're following the story and not skipping ahead out of foreknowledge" did you not understand? If I avoid a painful and tedious gameplay experience only by knowing exactly where to go ahead of time, how is that a good thing?

Also, the shroom caves are deep enough that the only way to successfully scan the Degasi base there without an UPGRADED seamoth (i.e., post-Aurora or post-moonpool, both fairly mid-game and definitely way after you should have the MPR blueprint), is to know exactly where the opening above that base is (foreknowledge), and somehow have the rebreather blueprint, which unlocks even later IIRC. Without that, you drown down there before you can do anything.

Ah. You know some of us just explore and find all kinds of things "before we'e supposed to" right? I found the islands that way, as well as the Jellyshroom caves. See a hole in the ground - "what's that? Pretty deep! OK, fab more O2 tanks and away we go!" "Hey, what are those really weird looking clouds covering up? They're not like the rest of the sky, so something's up with them, better go check it out! Welp, dry land! Wooot!"
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Ah. You know some of us just explore and find all kinds of things "before we'e supposed to" right? I found the islands that way, as well as the Jellyshroom caves. See a hole in the ground - "what's that? Pretty deep! OK, fab more O2 tanks and away we go!" "Hey, what are those really weird looking clouds covering up? They're not like the rest of the sky, so something's up with them, better go check it out! Welp, dry land! Wooot!"

Yeah i know, im like that too! I always have the urge to enter every holes i come across ..... which is exactly how i am in real life as well. Wow ok, said like that i guess it sounds very wrong :wink:
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited August 2017
    Rainstorm wrote: »

Yeah i know, i'm like that too! I always have the urge to enter every holes i come across ..... which is exactly how i am in real life as well. Wow ok, said like that i guess it sounds very wrong :wink:

Heh...

Yer no different than a rather large proportion of the male population of this world.

We start out spending the first nine months trying to get out, and then the rest of our lives trying to get back in.

B)
  • SadPandaaSadPandaa United States Join Date: 2017-07-13 Member: 231807Members

I am only on maybe my 3rd playthrough, by playthrough I mean update because I have never made it all the way through before an update and then I just start over. I stumbled on the jellyshrooms pretty early and just swam around trying to find materials I had not found yet and the base was right there. I don't think it will be that unusual for new players to find a lot of stuff out of the intended order, and it is very exciting when you find a new base piece for the first time.
  • SadPandaaSadPandaa United States Join Date: 2017-07-13 Member: 231807Members

I think it should just have a big cargo bin you access from outside, like 8x10.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited August 2017
    I've often wondered why the Seamoth doesn't have natural storage capability already. The Exosuit comes with a storage locker that was (I think) like 4x3 storage originally but was bumped up to 6x4 storage magically after some time ago. If that hulking monstrosity can store stuff inside its chassis without damaging its internal electronics, then certainly the Seamoth could do so as well.

When you install a Storage Module on the Seamoth, it spawns a visual Locker on the front or rear of each wing, depending on where the module is physically located. The left wing has the Upgrade Access Panel in the middle of those two spawn points; the right wing has nothing of value there. I hereby respectfully ask that a permanent 4x4 Locker be put on the right wing of the Seamoth, in counterpoint of the opposite wing. In universe, this would add more balance to the Seamoth since that open panel could leak air over time and reduce the efficiency of underwater travel. But it would also allow the Seamoth to be able to carry items across the map more efficiently, before you are able to unlock the free module from the Aurora, or before you can make your own before unlocking both the Moonpool and Vehicle Upgrade Station. :pensive:

But more importantly, if the Exosuit can have permanent internal storage without the need of the respective upgrade modules, then either the Seamoth should have free storage... or the Exosuit should have its own locker removed. It shouldn't be so selective in how Alterra constructs their vehicles. :confused:
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    On my first playthrough, I found the JSC very early in the game purely by accident. "Huh! That's an odd-looking cave. Wonder how far down it goes? Yikes." I didn't have the gear to properly explore it, of course, but I had enough on me and adequate air to pull some scans from the base wreck down there, including the MPR. Ultimately, the MPR thing was a non-issue because even if I hadn't found that tempting cave, my next destination was the landmass helpfully pointed out shortly after landing, and there are MPRs there to scan. So, realistically, there's no "correct order" to find stuff except in very few edge cases. It's part of the beauty of the game.

But, as is so often the case, the conversation has veered way off course. The thread isn't about when and where things are found, it's about the locker mechanics and the inability to move large amounts of stuff without excessive tedium. And I have to say: yeah, that's a serious problem. I'm not a big fan of the Cyclops myself - I use it because the thing has functionality on its side, but its downsides (like lag) are noteworthy.

That said...well, I really don't think the system should be changed much. I know, I know, it sounds like a contradiction. But moving 5.3 metric tons of random stuff should be a pain. If I need to haul 30 lockers' worth of stuff (which happens often) from one base to another, then it's going to take effort. I shouldn't be able to pick up a full locker and haul it around any more than I should be able to pick up any of the large objects in game.

Basically, we're bumping into a mechanic we can't do away with: realism. Yes, it would be a lot more convenient to just uproot a locker and haul it off, but it'd be kinda...crazy. Plus, it opens a whole can of worms I don't think any of us want to deal with. "I can carry a full locker, so why can't I just take a locker with me outside, fill it with quartz and stuff, and take that back with me?" There are answers to that, of course, including "you can't put lockers outside," but then the natural response is "why not?" ... and that's valid, because you could if you wanted to. So, by adding this annoying-yet-realistic limitation, we sidestep an enormous play balancing and mechanics headache.

So, end of the day, while moving all my stuff has annoyed me to the point of wanting to punch a Peeper more than once, it's a limitation and mechanic I really don't think should be changed. The cost-to-benefit ratio is just too skewed.
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    Yeah, by the story the deep Degassi base is supposed to be found pretty early. But my first game I didn't find it until after I had already met the emperor. Found the jellyshroom cave long before any of the messages led me there. In fact, I've never found anything based on the messages. Except for the various pings of course.

I have to agree with the recommendation for using the Cyclops to move a base. I hate the thing, but that is the one role it actually suits... it's a good moving van.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    edited August 2017
    The first couple of times I played through the game, I found myself rebuilding my base a couple of times very close to where I started out, if only to arrange things more to my liking. Even then, moving stuff from lockers was a pain. Also, needing a Cyclops to move enough stuff to build another base seems like kind of a mid to late game solution. I have a couple of ideas to make things maybe slightly less painful.

1) A function to "transfer all" to and from any given storage unit. Because of problems with my wrists and shoulders, I use an XB1 controller to play on PC, and the trigger buttons aren't always very responsive. This results in a lot of extra trigger-pulling to transfer stuff, which is frustrating. (I need to write a whole other post about controller support.) But a "transfer all" option would make the process a little easier, IMO.

2) Tow-able trailer for the Seamoth. This would probably be a pain to implement, physics-wise, but some kind of big storage unit you can hook up to your Seamoth. Maybe a couple of big lockers worth of space. Makes the Seamoth a lot slower and less agile, but could be an early-game alternative to a Cyclops stuffed with lockers. Or instead of a trailer, more like a big module the Seamoth connects to in a ridged way. Alternately, you know how on giant cargo ships, the bridge tower is kind of perched on one end of the ship? Something like that except it's a spot for the Seamoth to lock into. Modular, you know?
    edited August 2017
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    The first couple of times I played through the game, I found myself rebuilding my base a couple of times very close to where I started out, if only to arrange things more to my liking. Even then, moving stuff from lockers was a pain. Also, needing a Cyclops to move enough stuff to build another base seems like kind of a mid to late game solution. I have a couple of ideas to make things maybe slightly less painful.

1) A function to "transfer all" to and from any given storage unit. Because of problems with my wrists and shoulders, I use an XB1 controller to play on PC, and the trigger buttons aren't always very responsive. This results in a lot of extra trigger-pulling to transfer stuff, which is frustrating. (I need to write a whole other post about controller support.) But a "transfer all" option would make the process a little easier, IMO.

2) Tow-able trailer for the Seamoth. This would probably be a pain to implement, physics-wise, but some kind of big storage unit you can hook up to your Seamoth. Maybe a couple of big lockers worth of space. Makes the Seamoth a lot slower and less agile, but could be an early-game alternative to a Cyclops stuffed with lockers. Or instead of a trailer, more like a big module the Seamoth connects to in a ridged way. Alternately, you know how on giant cargo ships, the bridge tower is kind of perched on one end of the ship? Something like that except it's a spot for the Seamoth to lock into. Modular, you know?

I think your "transfer all" is an awesome idea. The Seamoth can be upgraded with 4 16-slot storage modules. I think it would be awesome if the developers added an option to base/Cyclops lockers so we could do:

1. Click 'Transfer All' on a locker to transfer all contents straight to a Seamoth docked in the Moonpool.
    2. Click 'Transfer All' on a Seamoth docked in the Cyclops to transfer all contents to lockers on the Cyclops

I don't think we need to add a trailer for the Seamoth. I think that would be overkill since we already have storage upgrades for the Seamoth. Instead, I prefer just your "Transfer all" idea. Yes, it might be even better if it was one-click for the entire base. But I think that has all sorts of problems that are resolved by activating this action only on the lockers themselves. As an example of problems:

1. Space differences between Seamoth and base/Cyclops lockers.
    2. Which locker gets moved first?
    3. Which item gets moved first?
    etc, etc.

I think it would be a great step in the right direction just adding that option to the locker/Seamoth storage. So, instead of:

1. Clear your inventory
    2. Pick up all from a locker.
    3. Walk to the Seamoth
    4. Dump all in a locker

Instead, it would be:

1. Click 'Transfer all' on a locker.
    2. Items automatically transferred to the Seamoth
    (Or, vice versa)

(Note, for this second option, we wouldn't need to first clear our inventory and possibly lose important items in the process...)

This would be really awesome. I can't tell you how many times I'll clear my inventory to move stuff like this and then forget to pick back up all the necessities. Then, I'll be out in BFE wondering where the heck I put my knife.

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »

I've often felt that once the Lifepod is repaired and the Seamoth is built, you should be able to attach the Lifepod to the Seamoth and treat it like you would as a trailer to a truck. Since the Lifepod has its own signal ping, power source and Fabricator, it stands to reason that it should be a mobile base since you know, it can float on the water. If we could tether it to the Seamoth and take it across the water with us, it would make a great addition for base building until we finally create a permanent underwater home. Additional storage, portable crafting, and the occasional free First Aid Kit. At the very least it keeps the derelict Lifepod to have some additional mid- to late-game use, as I never return to it once I'm self-sufficient in my Grand Reef base. Not to mention it would cut down on my multiple New Game restarts, since the Lifepod tends to land in an area I despise being in (too close to the terrain, surrounded by Stalkers or Gasopods, on top of the Thermal Vent).

Lifepod 5 saved our lives, yet we must let it rust away without a care in the world since we can't move it! It only wants to see us prosper in this harsh, uncaring world! Let us give it more love by letting us use it as a mobile base/trailer so it will know we're safe! :cry:

a646c45633cfab95a2aaf727480883aba7de652148fb3601db61853a62d3b3da.jpg

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Oddly enough...I have to say I like the idea of towing 'ol Number 5 to a new location. If nothing else, it would provide a handy surface marker for your base location.

However, as a spawn point, there may be engine limitations on how much it can be repositioned.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited August 2017
    Oddly enough...I have to say I like the idea of towing 'ol Number 5 to a new location. If nothing else, it would provide a handy surface marker for your base location.

However, as a spawn point, there may be engine limitations on how much it can be repositioned.

I read that there is a bug that allows you to push the lifepod with a seamoth if you ram it...never tested it though
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    I'm very selective about what I collect until I've created a permanent base.

I just gather enough to build a basic base, a couple of planters, 2 lockers, seamoth and cyclops.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited August 2017
    Basically, we're bumping into a mechanic we can't do away with: realism. Yes, it would be a lot more convenient to just uproot a locker and haul it off, but it'd be kinda...crazy. Plus, it opens a whole can of worms I don't think any of us want to deal with. "I can carry a full locker, so why can't I just take a locker with me outside, fill it with quartz and stuff, and take that back with me?" There are answers to that, of course, including "you can't put lockers outside," but then the natural response is "why not?" ... and that's valid, because you could if you wanted to. So, by adding this annoying-yet-realistic limitation, we sidestep an enormous play balancing and mechanics headache.

Your justification is flawed. When we have wireless energy, a fabricator that can reorganize matter, and a base building tool that can pull from your players pockets with no interaction. The tech in the game that would allow moving of items is already there. "Realism" doesn't bump in the way in this futuristic world. A wireless item network would work in this game. The precursor bases have teleporters. That would be a perfect way to keep wireless networks for late game. You have to find each teleporter. Scan, and figure out how they work. PDA computer comes up with a way to create wireless item transfer system. Only limitation would be you have to be connected to the network home point. Which would make a Cyclops docking port more valuable and needed.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

Your justification is flawed. When we have wireless energy, a fabricator that can reorganize matter, and a base building tool that can pull from your players pockets with no interaction. The tech in the game that would allow moving of items is already there. "Realism" doesn't bump in the way in this futuristic world. A wireless item network would work in this game. The precursor bases have teleporters. That would be a perfect way to keep wireless networks for late game. You have to find each teleporter. Scan, and figure out how they work. PDA computer comes up with a way to create wireless item transfer system. Only limitation would be you have to be connected to the network home point. Which would make a Cyclops docking port more valuable and needed.

I think the main point @scifiwriterguy was making was the play balance question. If you can carry a nearly infinite amount of stuff with you, then why ever build a locker? For that matter, why even build a base? Do you know why I build my first base? It's somewhere to put my stuff. I don't think you can add a mechanic to the game that provides infinite storage without totally ruining the game.

As to the realism, I disagee with most of your points. I think you may be thinking the fabricator and habitat builder are something similar to the Star Trek replicators that appear to construct any and all matter out of pure energy. I don't see any such technology in Subnautica. Rather, I think of both techs as just really fancy 3D printers. When we build a base with the Habitat Builder, we have to carry the raw materials. Similarly, when we use the Fabricator, we have to have the materials on hand. To me, that makes both piece of tech sound like 3D printers. If they required no raw materials at all, then maybe they might be like Star Trek replicators. Wireless Energy doesn't really sound all that futuristic to me. Yeah, it's something we can't do yet. But sending energy from point to point is a whole lot different than creating matter from energy.

As for the precursor teleporters, aren't they insanely huge? Also, aside from just powering those things, do we really ever discover how they work? Or, do we just use them. I don't think it is consistent with the lore of the game to say that we could somehow repurpose the teleporters for fancy inventory control--while simultaneously making them thousands of times smaller than the Precursors themselves.

-- Aside ---

George Carlin talks about "Stuff"

• HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    The precursor bases have teleporters.

Alien technology which we may be able to operate, but not necessarily understand or recreate ourselves.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members

On my most recent save, I got the signal for Lifepod 19 before the Aurora exploded.

• GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    edited September 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    ...MP Rooms only build on the corners of Foundations...

Why do you feel the need to build on a foundation?

I have not used foundations for anything but to hold external grow beds since my first playthrough of Subnautica. Every room and every piece of corridor will extend its own supports if you do not place it on a foundation, so you don't need them at all. Plus without them, you can put airlocks on the bottom of your corridors and enter them like Jacques Cousteau.

Oh, and I use free standing lockers rather than wall mounted. I can stuff a lot of them into an MPR by standing them perpendicular to the wall (more or less) and still leave enough room for an interior grow bed if I want one there, while still being able to stack another MPR on top of the full one. FWIW I consider the wall mounted locker to only be useful in tight quarters like base corridor modules or certain parts of the cyclops. As a test, I went into one save and just added an MPR on top of another MPR that had 14 floor standing lockers, two Reinforcement panels and 3 Window panels installed in it, literally just now to make sure I wasn't talking out my arse.

Edit: Just tested this on an MPR with three Water Filtration machines and was also able to build another MPR without a problem, so it's only those dratted wall mounted lockers, and maybe certain other things, that cause this problem.

• Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited September 2017
    How about a backpack or a seasack? Strap it to your back or to the back of a Seamoth. Makes things much easier to move around.

Or how about a new submarine, which is gonna be similar to a pickup truck (double the size of a Seamoth)?

A backpack or seapack in exchange for the O2 tank would be much faster to realise tho.