Survival mode: add a sleep bar

LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
Why not go the whole hog?

- let us sleep (badly) in the escape pod chair
- setting up base soon to build a bed would now become a priority
- penalty for lack of sleep could be a) some sort of visual effect (darkening, like drowning) and/or b) temporary unconciousness.
- sleep should deplete hunger and thirst bars, but not as much as while awake

and the cherry on top:
- being sleepy would make it much harder to resist Mesmers

[inb4 "but devs are only bugfixing now" yes this is an idea for later]

Comments

• gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited August 2017
    This has been suggested before, but it's still a good idea. I would additionally want sleep to be a way to quickly pass time to skip to morning/evening. Also maybe we should have a cot item that fits in a corridor since the beds aren't available until midgame.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited August 2017
    So tired, I'm just gonna sleep in my leviathan tank

Dead
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    After v1.0 (unless they suddenly have a ton of time to fine-tune it before release)
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Should be hardcore and surivial mode exclusive.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Should be hardcore and surivial mode exclusive.

It wouldn't really make much sense in Creative, yah?
    I know. That's why I said hardcore and surivial mode exclusive as in it shouldn't be on freedom
  • FlanpanFlanpan UK Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230681Members
    Lulzes wrote: »
    Why not go the whole hog?
    This would also be a perfect opportunity to increase the length of days and nights. If you were gone for too long, then your sleep pattern would gradually get out of sync with the day and night cycle; forcing you to deal with more of the night.
    The reason that I think that it would be a good idea to make it happen alongside the sleeping update is that it's another time gate - thus preventing shutting down the gun before the Sunbeam arrives from becoming easier.

If the devs do ever intend to improve or add AI to the creatures, then it would make sense that they'd stalk you for longer at night or attempt to ambush instead of just charging immediately.
  • EternalGolemEternalGolem Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223650Members
    Some PDA lines for you.

-Sleeps on the lifepod’s bench
    “Sleep quality last night was poor. It is suggested you try to find an actual bed. The aurora has an extensive supply of suitable beds within its crew quarters, that is your best option.”

-Sleeps in narrow bed
    “Sleep quality was sufficient, your chances of survival have improved by 11%.”

-Sleeps in bed1 (the wide one)
    “Optimal sleep quality achieved”
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    edited August 2017
    I find it intriguing how I spent lot of time promotic direct gameplay mechanics appearing from stored-O² in submarines, and yet someone suggesting to add a literal playtime-limiter that do not seem to add much gameplay (except mesmer resistance) didn't implode into an harsh rejection (or a Star Trek battle).

Anyway, I want to disagree and DESTROY IT out of annoyance for that, but made in a less annoying way with BENEFIT and time-saving features I may deem it good.

Ideas:
    • Making heal player (you exchange time/food for this, unlike the medikit)
    • Allowing to come back to day by sleeping (but forbiding it if you aren't sleepy) would give player some control over.
    • It make bed useful, and since bed take place, it encourage you to build base at more place.
    • Mesmer resistance + non-punishing, visual effect = A psychological impact (less punishing, more like a CHOICE to play the game in a darker tone)
    • It's a bad idea to increase the food consumption, food is already restrictive so it is only punishing. Word it the opposite, make it so that resting lessen food consumption (based over what player are already ok to play with). The point of this reformulation is not add-up debuff but compensage a restrictive rule with a buff reward.
    • Make it so Dingy boat is also a nice place to sleep in.

That's my take, going to bed now :p
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    [*] It's a bad idea to increase the food consumption, food is already restrictive so it is only punishing. Word it the opposite, make it so that resting lessen food consumption (based over what player are already ok to play with). The point of this reformulation is not add-up debuff but compensage a restrictive rule with a buff reward.
    [*] Make it so Dingy boat is also a nice place to sleep in.
    [/list]

That's my take, going to bed now :p

You misunderstood the OP, I said sleep should reduce how much your hunger depletes.

Also, what "Dingy boat"?
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    Indeed, I forgot how to read it seem.
    There's no dingy boat, so if we want this feature to be complete it need a dingy boat where you can sleep.

I swear I'm absolutely NOT lobbying for that idea, I'm just trying to make others' suggestion better by including a dingy boat.