Health bar not visible in VR mode

zdszds Finland Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232317Members
I play with Vive, Steam controller and rotating office chair to allow for maximum immersion.

However, in VR mode the dials are hard to see. The oxygen meter is so close to border of the visible area if I look at it I don't see it at all; when looking forward I can see it (albeit fuzzy) in corner of my eye, but it's hard to read. The health meter is not visible at all.

My workaround has been to open "Desktop" view on Steam menu and then use Steam menu button to see the game on desktop briefly and then close it again.

Needless to say, for something as crucial, this is a bit cumbersome.

Comments

• LevinKjangLevinKjang Join Date: 2017-08-13 Member: 232400Members
    This is a known issue that hasn't been fixed yet. The issue is the FOV in VR mode. See if you can edit the FOV settings so it fits.
  • donotwantdonotwant Victoria BC Join Date: 2017-08-15 Member: 232432Members
    I can see those bars, and I have an issue that the devs will never fix:

I am far-sighted in my left eye so it has permanent drunk vision (doh!), and of course pertinent information is displayed there.
  • zdszds Finland Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232317Members
    I have eyeglasses and together with the Vive fresnel lenses they make borders of the displays blurry and distorted for me. I've tried to adjust the distance of the displays from my eyes but the problem only gets worse when the displays go farther away. It might be my eyes are unusually deep in the head or then the Vive just does not give good vision to the outer borders with eyeglasses.

In general, I'd say you can't trust the outer edges of the image to be easily visible for use, so any life-threatening information needs to somehow be available nearer the center of the screen, or start blinking when it draws almost empty of similar.

Possibly you could also make the health and oxygen bars something that extends from the border of the screen toward the center when it gets low. This way it would be out of sight when full and would get more and more visible when it runs out. Because when they are almost out you *want* to know it.
  • aasubaasub Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224792Members
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152060/vr-hud-suggestions#latest

this was months ago and never got a response. so you might as well wait like a year or two
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're going to improve the VR experience as we get closer to release. We're currently working on performance, which is essential for comfortable VR.
  • GreyscaleGreyscale Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232939Members
    I was playing some on my new Vive last night, and the performance was top notch. There was no noticeable lag or anything at all . The main problem was the HUD was on the very edges of the FOV and therefore unusable. It shows SO much promise :-)
  • adelicatebalanceadelicatebalance Canada Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232958Members
    I would love for the HUD to be movable/ configurable. I have a pretty good system and the VR runs perfectly, but I desperately need to be able to see the HUD on my Vive. I tried changing the FOV via the console, but it didn't work for me - I really tried to get it working. So for now I can't really play in VR and am not that bothered about playing without VR now I have a headset. Please, please, tweak the UI or give us some option to make it useable on Vive.
  • majorbrightonmajorbrighton Sweden Join Date: 2014-12-13 Member: 200025Members
    Im using Oculus with the same problem, infact the whole lower bar info is out of site. yes I have tried changing the FOV, yet does not help.
    Would have thought they would have wanted peoples feed back for VR too at this stage, yet still after many months it is unfixed.
  • majorbrightonmajorbrighton Sweden Join Date: 2014-12-13 Member: 200025Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're going to improve the VR experience as we get closer to release. We're currently working on performance, which is essential for comfortable VR.

That is all very good, yet as it is we cannot play at all, so not feedback. How hard can it be to move the panel's and save a layout for the time being_
    That is all very good, yet as it is we cannot play at all, so not feedback. How hard can it be to move the panel's and save a layout for the time being_

Word.

Before the mystic game logic lag added in the Ghost update the performance in VR was just fine at least with plain GTX 1080. No one in their right mind builds a VR rig with GPU slower than GTX 1070, so the reasonable baseline for GPU power is quite a lot higher than non-VR games.
    The health "bar" could also be somewhere in the suit, visible by turning the head. Or just tint the whole screen reddish or B/W when death approaches like many games do.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    If you've having issues viewing the Health Bars and others, please try the latest Experimental steam version: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Experimental_Mode
    I did and it works a lot better now. Thanks!