Suggestion: Add color to Subnautica - Day/Night bug mentioned fixed in 52119

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
I started up a new game of Subnautica to see if they had fixed some of the more annoying bugs. I'm playing 52059 and having a lot of fun. For a Black and White game, it's pretty fun. But I definitely hope they add color to the game somewhere down the line.

Edit: There was a bug in this version where the day/night cycle wasn't working, and the game was in complete darkness. This is now fixed.

https://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/changes-and-checkins

It is mentioned in 52119.

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    It's sorta in color. The graphics are just not very well done. The game is in some serious need of some modder to create the SN equivalent of MineCraft's Optifine and/or texture packs. It's an early access game. Undoubtedly, in a couple of years when the game is closer to release date, they will go back and work on better graphics.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    If serious, just use SweetFX or ReShade.
    And go get your eyes checked.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited August 2017

IIRC they're over here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/147726/subnautica-mods-came-across-some-right-here/p1
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

IIRC they're over here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/147726/subnautica-mods-came-across-some-right-here/p1

There you go.
    I've been using SweetFX on every single game I've ever played since about 5 years ago for post-processing. (The anti-aliasing and lumasharpen are my best friends, and usually far superior to most game's built in AA. This allows you to turn off the AA in the game and use SweetFX, and you often even get a better FPS too, depending on the game. Some games have been unplayable for me without it (Fallout 4 and Prey both spring to mind, terrible blur with TSAA) and it's become something I recommend to everyone who plays games on a PC.)

You'd certainly be able to use one of those presets, probably this one: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3602/
    It sounds like you'd be best off using that, but maybe tweak the colour and brightness options even more for your own taste. Anyway, you should look into it if you're unsatisfied with the vanilla game, and I'd be happy to help if you can't work out how to use it, but the guides on the website should be sufficient.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited August 2017
    Try throwing a bucket of black paint at it. Black is the presence of all colors, so throwing black paint at it should fix the colors.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I still want my screenshot...
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I still want my screenshot...

s9mg3yj1k0z3.gif

• NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    edited August 2017
    Black and white? Subnautica is in full color... wait I need to get a screenshot. Do you have screenshots @garath? Do you meet the computer specs?
    garath wrote: »
    It's sorta in color. The graphics are just not very well done. The game is in some serious need of some modder to create the SN equivalent of MineCraft's Optifine and/or texture packs. It's an early access game. Undoubtedly, in a couple of years when the game is closer to release date, they will go back and work on better graphics.

Ok wow you just compared Subnautica to Minecraft. I don't think I'll be able to get over this! Didn't even capitalize it correctly ("MineCraft"). You definitely have computer issues...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited August 2017
    I found a color screenshot the OP can use ...

enfpbz1en40a.png

B)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members

Try throwing a bucket of black paint at it. Black is the presence of all colors, so throwing black paint at it should fix the colors.

Black is the ABSENCE of all colour, not presence.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Subnautica hasn't got colours? News to me.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited August 2017
    Myrm wrote: »

black is both the absence and presence of all colors. It depends on how you are talking about it. If you are talking about pigments then it is the presence of all colors.
    There was a bug in that experimental version that affected the day night cycle.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited August 2017

Okay, that makes more sense.

Gotta say, you couldn't have worded the OP more strangely.
    Skope wrote: »

Okay, that makes more sense.

Gotta say, you couldn't have worded the OP more strangely.

True, that! My bad!

Go ahead. Poke fun at me for playing the game for TWO HOURS in total darkness and never noticing SN had become Pitch Black....
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited August 2017
    Eh, I would've done the same.

20 minutes in: "Ah crap, it's night. Well, I can't waste any more time, I have to get more lithium for my base."

45 minutes in: "So, lithium problem solved. What next? I guess I could go to the Jellyshroom caves and see if I missed anything in the Degasi Base."

1 hour in: "I hate Crabsnakes!"

1 hour 30 minutes in: "Now that's out of the way, what should I do now? Well I guess I could go t- *exits cave* What?! Why is it still night time! Maybe I just stayed down there for an entire day? Yeah, I bet that's it.

1 hour 45 minutes in: "Is it really still night?! That can't be good."

2 hours in: Okay, it's night, and I'm in the Grand Reef. Hopefully I don't see the Phantom Leviath- *Phantom Jumpscare*"

"... Screw it, something's wrong."
    A couple of months back, I was playing a new game every weekend. My usual practice was to first make a flashlight so I could see at night. But then they changed the recipes to use a TON more copper. Now, copper is the most precious resource; it's become the new silver. So, I skipped the flashlight since both the Seaglide and Seamoth have lights. If I had crafted a flashlight early on, I would have immediately noticed the game was in perpetual darkness. Oh, and I had a lousy start. I just could not find either the Mobile Vehicle Bay or the Seaglide. I completed both the Scanner Room and the Cyclops Bridge before either. Eventually, I was swimming too deep and ended up drowning and dying. Once I died, the day/night cycle started back up.

• cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members

black is both the absence and presence of all colors. It depends on how you are talking about it. If you are talking about pigments then it is the presence of all colors.

I'm sorry, but the fact that mixing all pigments together makes black does not make black the presence of all colors. Those two statements are saying completely different things about the color. One is talking about the physical chemical properties of the materials you are using to make something a certain color, the other is referring to the properties of color itself without regard to what physical material bears that color.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Black is the absorption of all colors, white is the reflection of all colors. Then you can go wavelengths or no waves at any length. And depending on the pigments, you can get a variety of colors out of it, like a nice earthen brown. Also black can be considered the highest saturation of any color or the darkest hue of any one or combination of colors.

So what exactly are we talking about?

cdaragorn wrote: »

I'm sorry, but the fact that mixing all pigments together makes black does not make black the presence of all colors. Those two statements are saying completely different things about the color. One is talking about the physical chemical properties of the materials you are using to make something a certain color, the other is referring to the properties of color itself without regard to what physical material bears that color.

Reading your post, I see this:

1. You quoted a statement about black as a pigment.
    2. You agreed with it by calling it a "fact".
    3. You proceeded to argue against yourself...