Should the player die by the infection

adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
The infection as of now serves no purpose, it should be something scary and frightening and make players rush to the primary containment facility

So my suggestion is that after seeing the infection reveal sequence there should be a counter or something that indicates when you're going to die (there should be a long time like 50-80 days) maybe less in hardcore?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    This is a dumb thread...
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    This is a dumb thread...

Then why you're commenting?
    Either give an answer or don't comment at all
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    This is a dumb thread...
    It's not a dumb thread at all. Anyways, maybe the player should die from it in hardcore mode or some other mode or whatever, but i hate feeling rushed when i'm trying to play the game normally.
    Fathom wrote: »
    No. Because: Hero Peepers.

Hero peepers aren't everywhere
    To everyone who said no could you guys say why you don't agree on that just to see why
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Yes, but make it only happen after you've beaten the game once. It makes it harder and encourages replays.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Now... if the devs added a mechanic where you were at risk of permanent death (even in Survival mode!) due to the Carar, and had to regularly scavenge for materials and synthesize a basic pathogen to stave off infections (to be clear, this would NOT be a cure - think of it as chemotherapy to help stave off death by cancer, as an example) and you wouldn't be cured until you completed the end game and could build the rocket... then yes... I could get behind that idea. Cuz let's face it, if you're infected with a terminal disease and can't leave the planet, but you can swim around for days building bases and stockpiling stuff with no ill effect, that is somewhat silly. :lol:

But if instead you're just talking about "Play the game normally and randomly die some time after you hit the final stage of infection"... then nope, sorry. I can't get behind that idea. :neutral:
    Yes, as a prop for interesting game mechanics like Tarkannen suggests.
    adel_50 wrote: »
    To everyone who said no could you guys say why you don't agree on that just to see why

Well... considering when we die in Survival mode, we just simply respawn back at our habitat with minimal fuss, I don't see how dying of Carar infection would be any different... we'd just swim off and pick up where we left off at from earlier. Unless you mean they reach a point where they're constantly dying and respawning every 10 minutes due to extreme Carar infection, then at that point the would just become tedious to play.

In Hardcore mode it would make the game unplayable - you've got X number of days to rush through the storyline, and if you dawdle too long it's a guaranteed loss. In Creative mode it wouldn't even take effect... I don't think that you can even be affected by Carar there, since you don't have to worry about dying in addition to the other progress meters.

Now... if the devs added a mechanic where you were at risk of permanent death (even in Survival mode!) due to the Carar, and had to regularly scavenge for materials and synthesize a basic pathogen to stave off infections (to be clear, this would NOT be a cure - think of it as chemotherapy to help stave off death by cancer, as an example) and you wouldn't be cured until you completed the end game and could build the rocket... then yes... I could get behind that idea. Cuz let's face it, if you're infected with a terminal disease and can't leave the planet, but you can swim around for days building bases and stockpiling stuff with no ill effect, that is somewhat silly. :lol:

But if instead you're just talking about "Play the game normally and randomly die some time after you hit the final stage of infection"... then nope, sorry. I can't get behind that idea. :neutral:

The idea for something that slows the infection progress is pretty cool and it would be silly to die by the infection and respawn if you died by the infection it's game over but there are ways to make this an interesting experience because you will feel what's like when you are infected with an unknown disease and you have a shot in finding the cure but it's down in the lava I guess this should make things more fun in my opinion

from what you guys said i do agree new people wont be able to go there as fast as us so lets make it hardcore exclusive to add a bit more challenge while in survival as Recursion said it adds negative effects to the player
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    I don't think the disease is all that useless. As it progresses, you encounter more and more warpers. So it does set a deadline of sorts. My game has gotten silly because I've been mostly goofing around. I got a message on the radio saying something about "Target )*&^*%) eliminated. Infected targets unaccounted for: 1" which seems to mean I am the last infected lifeform on the planet. Now everywhere I go I get swarmed by 3-4 warpers at a time because they don't have anything else to do.
    I don't think the disease is all that useless. As it progresses, you encounter more and more warpers. So it does set a deadline of sorts. My game has gotten silly because I've been mostly goofing around. I got a message on the radio saying something about "Target )*&^*%) eliminated. Infected targets unaccounted for: 1" which seems to mean I am the last infected lifeform on the planet. Now everywhere I go I get swarmed by 3-4 warpers at a time because they don't have anything else to do.

Warpers late game don't become a threat anymore as you're always inside the cyclops(unless you don't use the cyclops at all) and you get out of it when you want to repair the cyclops or your going to explore something inside your exosuit so warpers are something at first but not in the endgame
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I like to play this game as I want to, with my own goals at my own pace. This goes for when I know what I'm doing and when I'm not. If from a certain point I'll be rushed, that's going to affect my enjoyment of the game and particularly negatively impact late game.
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Yes, but make it only happen after you've beaten the game once. It makes it harder and encourages replays.

I hope you mean "make it an option after you've beaten the game once", because if this would happen by default I wouldn't ever touch it again.

The devs said before that subnautica is a relaxing game so if a dev add this it will not affect your way of playing it and if people are not welcoming this feature then make it hardcore exclusive (maybe in survival but doesn't kill the player instead affecting them negatively)

But look at it being sick and not dying(by a dangerous disease of course) is definitely something odd and strange I would be happy if it's added to hardcore
    Maybe survival as an option as you suggested hopefully a dev replies to the post
  • dork42dork42 Michigan Join Date: 2017-03-30 Member: 229307Members
    I said yes because i feel that there should be some noticeable side effects of the Infection. Perma-Death in your standard survival mode is a little extreme, but if there was some way to stave off the Infection for like a week at a time, either through a medical station or crafted medicine, then side effects like increased food and oxygen drain would be manageable.
    The OP did mention waiting 50-80 days past the Carar cutscene in the Research Lab, so presumably your already in the Lost River with a full complement of gear, the pressure of reaching Endgame from there in 50 days isn't really too bad.
    I would love to see Death from this in Hardcore though.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited August 2017
    The devs said it won't kill you. It is just there for story reasons. There are multiple ways the player can stay alive longer. Stronger immune system, the hero peepers are spreading a weak cure around in the water, this can keep the player alive longer and the most important answer is the fact the player is the main character there for by movie and video game rules makes them nearly immortal. If the player dies, he respawns, dies on hardcore, respawns on a different file.
    well i just like to see this in some point in future but not in a game breaking state
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited August 2017
    The only way I could ever maybe see this working is in some kind of "extra hard mode" that you unlock after beating regular hardcore mode.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited August 2017
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    The only way I could ever maybe see this working is in some kind of "extra hard mode" that you unlock after beating regular hardcore mode.

*ahem*

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152403/subnautica-hard-mode-mortality-run

*cough**cough**shameless promotion**cough*
  • fellow_gopnik123fellow_gopnik123 Sweden (born in poland) Join Date: 2017-08-12 Member: 232382Members
    No it should not kill but maybe some other symptoms like: see worse in the dark, slower swim speed or even force you to eat more often.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Sounds like a stupid way to rush the player to me
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    edited August 2017
    The Carar should kill the player after it reaches its final stage.
    No it should not kill but maybe some other symptoms like: see worse in the dark, slower swim speed or even force you to eat more often.
    The second to last stage should include symptoms like the ones @fellpw_gopnik123 came up with. There should also be ways to delay the process of the infection after the reveal. After the reveal a timer of two to three weeks starts, which the player can delay using some sort of temporary cure. Like catching here peepers while they leave the vents, and then eating the hero peeper/fabricating a small dose of cure.
    adel_50 wrote: »

Well... considering when we die in Survival mode, we just simply respawn back at our habitat with minimal fuss, I don't see how dying of Carar infection would be any different... we'd just swim off and pick up where we left off at from earlier. Unless you mean they reach a point where they're constantly dying and respawning every 10 minutes due to extreme Carar infection, then at that point the would just become tedious to play.
    Once the infection kills you that should be final. You are DEAD. Start a new save. No respawn. As the infection progresses warpers should be more of a problem than the side effects of infection.
    Then there are the story reasons. Almost nothing that is infected survives. Say that our guy is better than average, or that the human immune system works better than that of the precursor immune system. Our guy has more time than the Precursors had to cure himself.
    dork42 wrote: »
    The OP did mention waiting 50-80 days past the Carar cutscene in the Research Lab, so presumably your already in the Lost River with a full complement of gear, the pressure of reaching Endgame from there in 50 days isn't really too bad.
    I would love to see Death from this in Hardcore though.

Even if the Carar kills you in the end 50-80 days is plenty of time to cure yourself after the reveal.
    I would like to see symptoms and an actual death from the Carar bacterium, that killed... billions of Precursors.
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    The Carar should kill the player after it reaches its final stage.

The second to last stage should include symptoms like the ones @fellpw_gopnik123 came up with. There should also be ways to delay the process of the infection after the reveal. After the reveal a timer of two to three weeks starts, which the player can delay using some sort of temporary cure. Like catching here peepers while they leave the vents, and then eating the hero peeper/fabricating a small dose of cure.

I disagree; depending on where you are or how you play, you might not even have the right equipment to visit the ILZ & ALZ while in the LR. Rushing the player like that when they might even know what's needed or have the time to do it wouldn't be all that enticing for a lot - especially newcomers or story-over-survival players. Heck, even survival players might not like feeling so forced - it'd just be one more needless timer for something we can infer is already being held back by the "hero peepers" part of the story.

Once the infection kills you that should be final. You are DEAD. Start a new save. No respawn. As the infection progresses warpers should be more of a problem than the side effects of infection.
    Then there are the story reasons. Almost nothing that is infected survives. Say that our guy is better than average, or that the human immune system works better than that of the precursor immune system. Our guy has more time than the Precursors had to cure himself.
    Even if the Carar kills you in the end 50-80 days is plenty of time to cure yourself after the reveal.
    I would like to see symptoms and an actual death from the Carar bacterium, that killed... billions of Precursors.

Unless you're playing in Hardcore mode, I could not support such an addition - and even in Hardcore mode, it might just make you feel rushed to the point of not actually enjoying anything. Also, the fact life still exists on this pocket of the planet proves that the infected creatures can survive so long as they get enough enzyme for remission; the only reason the player hits the final stage is because they entered the LR where the Carar is most heavily concentrated. He doesn't have to be cured to survive - he just has to be cured to leave the planet safely.
  • JiffyJuffJiffyJuff Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232089Members
    Perhaps a new "Time Trial" game mode that has the limit? It's a fairly common feature in other games, it makes in-story sense, and I feel like it would be fun. Sort of like an opposite to hardcore mode: instead of playing conservatively, you take risks and try to race against time in order to to finish the game.

There could be a "Time Trial Hardcore" mode for maximum difficulty.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I don't think the disease should kill you. It's intended as a plot point and should be viewed as such.

Although I do have some problems with the virus as a plot point, and I think some things about it could be altered to make it a more menacing threat. For example, we never actually see the negative effects of the virus in the game (unless I'm missing something. If I am please tell me). All you see are green cysts on your hands and other creatures, and you are told that it will eventually lead to some devastating side-effects. You are also told that it wiped out the Precursors, but you don't see this, nor do you see the carar's side-effects. I think it should have an effect(s) on you, but effects that are solely for the story and have a minuscule impact on gameplay (sometimes a cyst could break and deal a small amount of damage [not enough to kill you, and if you are below half health already this would not happen] or maker you lose a fraction of your water, or sometimes you could see visions of charging bonesharks that aren't really there, or perhaps there could be random animations that show your character in physical pain thanks to the virus, rubbing and scratching at his arms).

For me the carar is missing a sense of urgency, as your character is able to perform just fine even when the disease is in its late stages. There should be changes to the carar that make it a more sinister threat, but having it eventually kill you, or having it impact gameplay in an enormous way, just isn't the way to go, and there are much friendlier and more welcoming options.