I think I see what some people were talking about with the Cyclops being "too vulnerable". Maybe?

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
So I was watching this streamer, saw this, and, although some of it is user error, I don't think the devs meant for the 'clops to go down that easily, when the user is repairing it. I think it was stuck against the Amp Eel and multi-colliding with it continuously or something? I wonder if that's happened in other situations as well, and people think the Cyclops itself is weak, when it's something causing more damage than usual? Note that he was in Silent Running, I think the camera light was on though.

Comments

• christopherhardychristopherhardy United Kingdom Join Date: 2017-06-08 Member: 231010Members
    I do not think the devs meant for the 'clops to move down that easily, whilst the consumer is repairing it.
  • ingeloakingeloak Join Date: 2017-06-09 Member: 231027Members
    Well, honestly the idea that smaller sealife like stalkers, sharks, or eels can damage something made of Plasteel and Hardened Glass is kind of ludicrous. Today's submarines have nothing to fear from even the largest Great White sharks or whales, so why does the Cyclops?
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
  • ShalashalskaShalashalska Join Date: 2015-03-27 Member: 202634Members
    edited June 2017
    I'm pretty sure even a military submarine would get severely damaged if attacked by a sperm whale. They don't generally have a reason to attack, but they are known to sink whaling ships. It's kinda hard to deal with getting rammed by a 50 ton whale going 10m/s (5 megajoules of energy). Also, the exterior-interior pressure difference gets added to the force, so if you are fairly deep, even light hits can do significant damage.
  • SpankmeyahSpankmeyah Denmark Join Date: 2017-06-14 Member: 231098Members
    I do agree, the dmg could use a little tweeking to be honest.
    Takeing the sub anywhere usualy i have to go repair it 4-5 times .... it gets a little anoying... Like fx. hitting a small plant or something like it will cause dmg.
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    Spankmeyah wrote: »
    I do agree, the dmg could use a little tweeking to be honest.
    Takeing the sub anywhere usualy i have to go repair it 4-5 times .... it gets a little anoying... Like fx. hitting a small plant or something like it will cause dmg.

It's fixed in experimental. You can take up to 20% damage and it recharges a shield for the top 20%, anything over that is real hull damage that doesn't self repair.

As far as the streamer, he didn't put out the fires. Might be a good idea to put out fires. The ship comes with extinguishers and they recharge for free. Also, "under attack" might mean you should move away from the threat first, rather than camp on its head and start repairs. As far as "go down that easily", there is literally 5 minutes of video from the point when it caught fire (already weak) and the point where it got too far gone. I was expecting a 30 second clip, but that sucker held on much longer than I would have expected.
  • ZetaGZetaG ellensburg, WA Join Date: 2017-06-22 Member: 231252Members
    hey so I'm playing on the version of the voice from the deep update, when some bad stuff happened to the cyclops. I went into camera mode to see what was around me, now I cant get out of the camera mode, cant exit the game, and cant even leave the cyclops. I got issues man.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    If multiple hits in succession is the problem, the solution is simple:
    Only allow up to 1-2 "hits" of damage per second on any vehicle.
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    mine imploded with I was nowhere near it, Left it powered down, parked out of the way while I explored the thermal plant, loaded my save after the update and boom, I swam out to the wreckage and died when it suddenly shifted with me inside (I was screwed anyway, thermal plant was all glitched out)
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I favor the Cylons being as easy to kill as possible.
  • Any25Any25 Mexico Join Date: 2017-08-01 Member: 232169Members
    Hi all. This site very interesting and important for me. Thereby I can do my college homework
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I haven't been back long, took a bit of a break to let the game progress further, however the new Cyclops has me terrified. I went from "look at me I am always safe" to "Oh crap everything can kill me now.

I like the changes overall, but is there a possibility for an upgrade module that could reinforce the hull just like the Seamoth? (If one exists sorry, haven't gotten past the Aurora yet.)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Crewman87 wrote: »
    I haven't been back long, took a bit of a break to let the game progress further, however the new Cyclops has me terrified. I went from "look at me I am always safe" to "Oh crap everything can kill me now.

I like the changes overall, but is there a possibility for an upgrade module that could reinforce the hull just like the Seamoth? (If one exists sorry, haven't gotten past the Aurora yet.)

Go slow to reduce your sound signature, or shut your engine off temporarily to get them to lose interest. Or, better yet, use decoys. Or flank speed away (careful, it overheats after like 30 seconds).
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Go slow to reduce your sound signature, or shut your engine off temporarily to get them to lose interest. Or, better yet, use decoys. Or flank speed away (careful, it overheats after like 30 seconds).

Ah I haven't found the blue prints for decoys yet, though I think I know where to look for it. Good suggestions though. I did some reading on cavitation so I understood it a bit better, but it never mentioned that Flank Speed would eventually cause an engine fire. Yes, I heard the warnings, but I suppose my curiosity got the best of me. xD

One final thing however, can the Cyclops still house a power cell recharger or two, with the thermal energy upgrade? It seems different but it's been hard to gauge if I am losing more or equal to what I am gaining.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Thermal charging just means power is input when surrounding heat is high enough. Theoretically, you could then us PC chargers to transfer that and charge more than the 6 on board, dunno if that works. Without heat, though, it would be 0-sum, you would just be dumping energy from on cell to another with no net gain. A more realistic approach would actually have you losing power due to losses incurred by the charging system if nothing is supplying more power to Cyclops (no device is ever 100% efficient) .