Decoy 2.0

EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
So the first decoy is cheap, if bulky.

How about a second version, much more expensive (ingots and rarer stuff, maybe even ion or precursor toys, vs scrap and a battery).

Except this version teleports back. Not much functional change beyond that, it would recharge on return, to not make it TOO easy to use.

Comments

• leenpowellleenpowell Join Date: 2017-07-19 Member: 231926Members
    I would like to see a special decoy that you can control, similar to the cameras associated with the scanner room to lure predators away for a short time.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Hmm, or, even better- a decoy that drops a stasis bubble as it teleports back for repair and recharge.

(Well, if I was actually going to design one, I would pack it with explosives, shrapnel, and poison, but, y'know...)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Hmm, or, even better- a decoy that drops a stasis bubble as it teleports back for repair and recharge.

(Well, if I was actually going to design one, I would pack it with explosives, shrapnel, and poison, but, y'know...)

@nesrak1 how hard would that be to make? It sounds really cool.
  • cutefishleviathancutefishleviathan United States Join Date: 2017-07-22 Member: 231975Members
    They should make a decoy shaped like the player and every time creatures attack it the decoy bounces back slapping them.. (^w^)
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited July 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

@nesrak1 how hard would that be to make? It sounds really cool.

Well, the game creates a stasis bubble, and by evidence, that bubble can be big or small depending on how charged up the rifle is.

So I would IMAGINE the game would not find it super hard to drop a fully charged bubble effect on the location of the decoy, on death, or if it gets hit. Teleporting stuff around in a game is easy, compared to rigging animations and making things sync up enough to look credible.
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    There are loads of ideas for an upgraded decoy - a smaller model is the obvious upgrade, but how about using some of the native biology and creating a bioluminescent "bomb", or a lure that swims away erratically, or a gas cloud mine. I'd love to see a decoy launcher on the Seamoth one day too.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Decoys could be creature spicific considering bone sharks are attracted to light and reapers use echolocation.
  • CaptainBarbequeCaptainBarbeque Hell Join Date: 2017-02-25 Member: 228247Members
    Special decoys would be a good idea since they could have different upsides and downsides, making the use of them better or worse depending on the situation.
    for example:
    Flash decoy
    'creates a quick, blinding flash which disorients enemies but attracts attention (Especially from bonesharks)'

Food decoy
    'Shoots a capsule filled with all kinds of meat, pulling predators towards the location of the decoy (Even ones who weren't attacking you)'

The ALD (Anti-leviathan-decoy)
    'Attracts leviathan-type creatures for a few seconds before exploding, thus dealing some damage (Could be a bad idea when used in the dunes/Crash site)'