What should the devs prioritize in developement?

Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
Just curious how people feel.

Comments

• CharzinardinardCharzinardinard San Diego Join Date: 2017-06-18 Member: 231159Members
    I vote other, essentially for reasons similar to Sam_Starfall

If anything though, I would like to see Story as LAST priority. I've been following development for a while, and got really dedicated around the time of the Precursor update, and as much as I'd love to see the story's conclusion, I'd rather have that last. It gives people good reason to keep following development and will make the official release even more exciting.

I'd even argue the devs shouldn't put the endgame into Experimental, and keep it a closed beta test, so nothing gets spoiled
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    IMHO, the devs should prioritize adding/fixing/finishing things that will be locked in (or very difficult to change) after 1.0.

In my mind, this is a combination of story, game systems, and balance. Story drives a lot of gameplay and world design decisions and needs to be properly fleshed out. I would rather see the devs take more time to do this right then to make a poor decision based on short-term time crunches that ends up permanently handicapping the final product (I'm looking at you, Mass Effect 3 & Andromeda).

Balance and gameplay is in the same boat. I'm not talking about small balance tweaks and fine tuning everything, but rather the big picture on how the game is meant to be played. Games like Kerbal Space Program botched this part of the process on release, and likely won't ever properly balance the core game since so many people's savegames and craft designs are dependent on their broken placeholder balance that never got updated before 1.0.

Gameplay systems are even more important. I get the impression that we're late enough in Subnautica's development cycle that these likely won't change much (if at all), which is a bit disappointing given some of the missed opportunities with gameplay design. Still, there's always hope for an expansion to add new gameplay mechanics, so my vote would be for the devs to start planning any new systems now and adjust the existing gameplay systems accordingly to leave room for the new mechanics in the future.
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    fixing the lagggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    They're in the bugfixing / polishing stage of development. That's what they're prioritizing right now, that and the endgame sequence, but we won't see that as they're withholding it so all the oldtimers don't just play the endgame and move on.
  • FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    Hey, it's better to get a majority of bugs out of the way before another major update which, while advancing story, will create even more bugs.
    What?
    Don't judge me...
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    fixing the lagggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Clear your cache.

@0x6A7232 , i don't know why you didn't say this.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    kingkuma wrote: »

Clear your cache.

@0x6A7232 , i don't know why you didn't say this.

Subnautica has reached the point in development where UWE will be making cache clearing unnecessary (indeed, you see far fewer posts from people complaining about unbearable lag already, even though optimization has only just started recently).

While clearing the cache will fix the lag, the game needs to be optimized and fixed to the point where it doesn't need manual user interventions like this. So yes, @TigerTankSniper , clear your cache, that will help you for now, but your point does stand, UWE should be working on this (and they are indeed working on this) right now. If you need help clearing your cache, see the second line of my signature below.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Just a note: clearing the cache and deleting compiledoctrees replenishes resources
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    From a player perspective my wishes would be:
    • performance optimization to avoid those aweful pop ins
    • fixing the graphical annoyances like seems or clippings
    • balancing the Cyclops vs Leviathan gameplay until it really works
    • polishing the tech tree

For me the game always was endless replayable and didn't need that much story. Rather much to craft and explore. For that the game needs enough crafting parts and a good tech balance and for exploring the sub vs creature maneuvering and gameplay must work.

But as the devs already work on that there's nothing to wish right now.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Clear your cache.

Done this, it doesn't work anymore, at least not for me. It didn't work all that well to begin with. Takes the game only a few minutes to fill that cache out all over again.

I'm patient, though. Don't mind putting up with the bad frame rate until they optimize.
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    I'd like to see them fix some critical bugs, namely the torpedo arm bug that can destroy all upgrades and slots in the Prawn suit, and the amazingly annoying Seamoth disappearing hull upgrade bug when docked. I also second fixing the awful pop-in. I've had my seamoth get stranded inside wreck terrain because of them magically popping up after I was already inside. That hasn't happened since the last release, but I still occasionally crash into things that magically popped up.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    Oh I know, the game devlopment.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    He was expecting a peeper, imagine his surprise when he found out the sandshark at the other end of his line :D
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    I do think that adding story content and plain regular game content is important, but I have three words for you. FIX. THE. BUGS. I think that this game needs more patches, but not content patches. BUGFIXING patches. Sometimes you can end up in the worst situations due to a bug. Like the time I died in the Array (don't ask how) and when I respawned the water was gone... or that time I fell through the floor in the Lava Castle. Or the time I got stuck in the walls in the Lost River Reaserch Facility... I think the Precursors hate me. Every time a Major Update comes out it tends to have Major Bugs. Or maybe those minuscule bugs that annoy you every time. Like the one where all the modules in your seamoth stop working when you load your save. That has killed me multiple times as my seamoth is almost always in a state of disrepair, 300 meters under the sea. FIX. THE. BUGS.
  • XautosXautos Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232161Members
    It goes without saying that when the main content is in including when the rocket and other bits are in, they should get as many bugs fixed as possible and since optimization is needed which is a form of bug in itself. give everyone who buys the released game a most positive experience with as little disruption as possible.

my last aborted play through was stopped when my seamoth tried to dock with my new cyclops, the seamoth docked but the player didn't go with and was in a sitting pose in the water immune to losing oxygen or damage. it isn't the first bug with the seamoth i have encountered which i reported on either. making sure to get the game in as workable condition as possible is the next big step before release i would of thought.