Fish

ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
who thinks subnautica needs more biodiversity in the small fish?

Comments

• Alex93090Alex93090 Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211935Members
    I'm kind of split on this. Sure, it would be nice to see more than the same couple of types of fish, but at the same time I think that the way it is now is ok for gameplay purposes (as in the variety of fish is enough to give the player choices stat-wise). One obvious solution would be to re-skin some fish as they did with the biters (IIRC), but doing that a lot will make it seem a bit lazy. I wouldn't mind having the same "fish" in a different biome, but with a different model, but the developers have a nice variety as is and have more important things to focus on right now than designing new models, entries, and behavior for a fish that could just be replaced by one of the already-existing fish.
    Maybe after they finish up the main game, they can add some more fish to replace (or add to) some of the ones we have right now...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2017
    Where are my bloody crustaceans and jellyfish

... and my boat with fishing gear
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    This is how I read the title
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    edited July 2017
  • FirstEdFirstEd New Mexico Join Date: 2017-06-25 Member: 231340Members
    I feel like the story explains a lot of biodiversity situation. That's why I voted 'nah'.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I feel like there should be way more biodiversity and variations of creatures. I mean we have the Peeper and the Oculus. The Cave Crawler and the Blood Crawler, and I can't really think of anything else.
  • william1134william1134 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226439Members
    Yes more fish please... also I would like the fish to slowly be able to re-populate as I eat them all.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Yes more fish please... also I would like the fish to slowly be able to re-populate as I eat them all.

they already do.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    If the devs ever spend their time on reworking their biodiversity instead polishing and tuning, they should rather replace copy variants of some fish and replace them with biome true unique replacements and stop a lot of fish appearing in almost every biome, but rather make all this biodiversity more biome relevant.

So no I don't like the lava version of the boomerang called magmarang and those multiuses, but I agree that the devs don't have that much time.
  • william1134william1134 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226439Members
    Good point sayerulz... I suppose now that I think of it, it is strange to have lots and lots of predators all over the place but it seems that only in a few zones do you actually get standard fish.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    They need, if not more varieties of fish, to sort out to massively bass-ackwards predator/prey ratio. You will NEVER, anywhere in the universe, find an ecosystem where more of the biomass is made up of predators than their prey.

Unless the fish leave or another force kills them :no_mouth:
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    sayerulz wrote: »
    They need, if not more varieties of fish, to sort out to massively bass-ackwards predator/prey ratio. You will NEVER, anywhere in the universe, find an ecosystem where more of the biomass is made up of predators than their prey.

There might be an explanation for that in the latest update.
    I haven't played since the update, but apparently peepers with resistance are being sent through pipes to many parts of the world (unless that is only after the cure, with debunks this whole theory). If they are a steady supply, you'd need major predators just to keep them from overpopulation and destruction of local plantlife. As for the source of the peepers, it would be easy for the massive thermal plant to power an artificially lighted farm.
  • FusionblazeFusionblaze USA Join Date: 2017-07-12 Member: 231793Members
    also are there any new skins we can contribute for fish
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members

More fish! Even re-skining a few like with the magmarang would be great. That would probably have to wait till the possible expansion though...
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    We need flish

Flying fish
  • XautosXautos Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232161Members
    what i would like to see is the ability to create new types of fish in game from existing species. for example a cross peeper oculus hybrid with red eyes a small purple beak vertical fins and a strange looking rear end, a cross between a peeper fin and oculus flaps. this hybrid has the ability to have shallow and deeper vocalisations.

a lava eyeye and a regular eyeye and the result is a purple hybrid eyeye with purple bioluminescent features and iris.

how about a hybrid peeper reaper? it looks very much like those pictures from that peeper leviathan thread :smiley:
    how about a boomerang boneshark hybrid? it looks like an armored hammerhead shark with a narrow face and sharp teeth with bioluminscent spots
  • SpartanVIISpartanVII United States Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232163Members
    I would like it if the fish weren't so busy doing kamikaze runs in my Seamoth.
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    More tiny fish? Nah. Subnautica has plenty of small fish already, and there is a lore reason for the dwindling population. The Carar decimated the populous on 4546B and therefore only the fish that were able to survive long enough to mate survived. When it comes to interesting fish I feel that we were a few centuries late on our arrival, as most species die quickly after being infected. Subnautica has plenty of wildlife and in terms of small fauna there are plenty of fish in the sea. Besides, I feel like I've seen everything. What else could an alien fish possibly look like?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    My only problem with the fish in this game:

All docile fish are roughly the same size (besides perhaps the Spadefish, which is slightly bigger). There are no incredibly small fish or larger-than-normal fish. Think of Garibaldi Fish (quite small fish) or Groupers (rather large fish). I'd love it if after 1.0 they improved the biodiversity, so that one day we may have a game with biodiversity rivalling our own world in depth. I'd love this so much.