Do you want more upgrades SLOT for Cyclops/Seamoth/Prawn?

Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
edited July 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
All is in the title.

And yes I know.
I know making choices and sacrifice is the point. However it is not contradictory when the additions are very specifics/limited and yet you face too many situations.
Myself there are some modules that I simply do not use because
- Either it's a pain to carry them and switch them (outside moonpool/cyclop)
- They are too specific and I would have to sacrifice critical equipments that I can't spare.
- They are too limited by themselves (torpedoes)

Of course we don't have infinite space available, there will be limitation & incompatibility. But just like on the prawn, equipment like "more efficiency" is just a stats modifier.
Giving the Seamoth two "stats" slot for example would allow 4 storages upgrade and the Pressure compensator

Also it doesn't have to come freely.
- the Seamoth electric defense could use more energy (forcing you to get efficiency or recharge)
- a upgrade purely for speed would use more power (costing another efficiency/recharge upgrade)
- two armor upgrade would increase energy-use (because it's heavier to keep afloat, or reduce prawn jump)

One interesting thought I had, is that if you lose a subs with more upgrades, you are even more likely to come back to scavenge them than if they were safely stored forever at home.

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited May 2018
    Mabye it can be an upgrade that gives your more upgrade slots. As in it gives you multiple ones. It will balance it a bit

edit: dear god what was I thinking when I thought of this?
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    If it's one more upgrade slot by slot upgrade, we have a problem.
    I don't think it's a good idea thought, it work as a 'gate' (no more upgrade until you get the expensive slot upgrader) but it feel needlessly recursive. Loosing on to get more... also we will inevitably try to craft more to see how many you get, it would be a shame to discover you reached the limit.

Might as well give players the 6 slots then let them discovers that spamming X upgrade just lead to unexpected result (like going all Armor and loosing energy?)
  • 5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members
    Mabye it can be an upgrade that gives your more upgrade slots
    This idea.
    I've also wondered if there was a way to make torpedoes viable. As it stands: 4 torpedoes is not enough to scare off enemies.
    Maybe if the torpedo where guided? If I was sure to hit at least it would count.
    I'm actually surprised there's torpedo AT ALL in this "no gun" games.
    I wonder if they had planned to use them to break open walls or other.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Personally, I think the four slots feels about right for the Moth, and the four-plus-arms feels alright for the PRAWN.

Now the CYCLOPS I wouldn't mind seeing more upgrade slots for.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I voted no new slots. I find that the current selection fits the uses and considerations of all three vessels. However, would the number of modules drastically increase, my opinion likely'd change.
    /me start a poll for more upgrades.
    Just kidding.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Choices and consequences. With 4 slots you have to prioritize what to use, depending on where you go and what you want to do. I like it that way.
    Fathom wrote: »
    Choices and consequences. With 4 slots you have to prioritize what to use, depending on where you go and what you want to do. I like it that way.
    Not really. Storage, Pressure compensator and Armored plating are basically required for Seamoth. After that you have either Solar charging, Power Efficiency (Both useless, IMO), Sonar (could be neat) Torpedoes (useful defense) or the PDS (expensive on the battery). Having the option to use both Power efficiency AND PDS would be awesome, as would Sonar, but after 3 slots are taken up by required mods you're left with very little options.

You are entitled to your taste but I disagree with your saying it fit "choice and consequences" better than having more slots.
    Just like Smallpox5m4llP0X I always use Pressure, Armor, Storage for a minimum, so only the last slots vary.

"choice & consequences" imply combination with consequences to your choices.
    Right now, there's only 3 slots to combines (first is always pressure) and the consequences aren't our choice, we are just denied the use of all features at once.
    To have real choices you need spare slots that if used carelessly, have consequences.

For example: what if the devs made so that too much storage slow you down? too much armor weight you down (draining energy)? what if they added a speed upgrade (that tied with noise)?

QUESTION:
    How many of those who voted to keep 4x slots would change their mind if more upgrade (or interplay between them/features) were available?
    5m4llP0X wrote: »
    Not really. Storage, Pressure compensator and Armored plating are basically required for Seamoth. After that you have either Solar charging, Power Efficiency (Both useless, IMO), Sonar (could be neat) Torpedoes (useful defense) or the PDS (expensive on the battery). Having the option to use both Power efficiency AND PDS would be awesome, as would Sonar, but after 3 slots are taken up by required mods you're left with very little options.

Pressure, yes, the other two, no. Or at least, I've been doing fine without them. Sonar I have on me, but find I don't use that much (might be because I've come to know the map so well + I rarely visit the JSC anymore). Also thinking of "retiring" power efficiency and I've never used solar. Torpedoes I only use when I feel like fooling around, but it could do with more options (ink torpedoes, flash torpedoes?).

The same is true for the Cyclops. Pressure, yes, but everything after that isn't that interesting. Safe travel is easy, so fire suppression system is not truly needed. I have the shield, but literally never use it. Power efficiency I only keep to spare me the hassle of exchanging powercells manually. I've been thinking of installing vehicle repair as due to it's passive nature I'll make use of it where I rarely do the active ones.
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    I would like to see extra slots, say 6-8 on the Seamoth/Prawn and 8-10 on the Cyclops, maybe add extra mods and make some of the mods use more power to balance it out
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    I just want more space for all my upgrades.
    DrownedOut wrote: »

Pressure, yes, the other two, no. Or at least, I've been doing fine without them. Sonar I have on me, but find I don't use that much (might be because I've come to know the map so well + I rarely visit the JSC anymore). Also thinking of "retiring" power efficiency and I've never used solar. Torpedoes I only use when I feel like fooling around, but it could do with more options (ink torpedoes, flash torpedoes?).

The same is true for the Cyclops. Pressure, yes, but everything after that isn't that interesting. Safe travel is easy, so fire suppression system is not truly needed. I have the shield, but literally never use it. Power efficiency I only keep to spare me the hassle of exchanging powercells manually. I've been thinking of installing vehicle repair as due to it's passive nature I'll make use of it where I rarely do the active ones.

I tend to stick the plasma cutter, repair tool, flashlight, spare seamoth battery, Ion crystal, an artifact and a few torpedoes in my storage. This makes using torpedoes viable and frees up space in my main inventory for whatever I am exploring. With this I can do wrecks just as easily as other areas.
    The armor feels essential, to me. Nothing worse than running to a point and the map spawning a spadefish right in front of you and BOOM 10% HP gone! Or come back from exploring a wreck to find 2 bonesharks chomping on your baby. At least the armor makes it goes from dead to 20% HP left as you stasis shank those bastards.
  • RagnarokNowRagnarokNow Join Date: 2017-07-04 Member: 231577Members
    I actually feel like where the upgrade system is at right now is just fine. Maybe 1 additional slot on the prawn or cyclops would be nice, but I honestly don't think they're necessary. I get that more is HANDY, but it doesn't always make it BETTER. And throwing in more upgrades just to justify adding more slots seems pretty unreasonable. The restrictiveness of the gearing for each vessel plays really well into the target "feel" that (I think) the developers are trying to achieve. Sure you could just play with depth, armor, and storage on your seamoth, but I feel that only the upgrade that's truly necessary is depth. You can adjust your play to accommodate dropping the armor (i.e. pilot more cautiously) or the storage (i.e. minimizing the amount of junk you carry around).

Perhaps a neat compromise might be the Hull upgrades for each vessel get their own slot, freeing up one other slot for something else.
    The safer driving only works if things don't spawn in front of ya. I've had to narrowly avoid reefbacks because the game just decided to load them 3 meters from me. It also means going through the mushroom forest biome is impossible at deeper levels since the mushrooms sometimes will spawn THROUGH your seamoth. (This can near-blow up your baby without armor)
  • v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    I don't like the idea of having more slots for the 'clops but I do have a suggestion, why not have 2 of each? a offensive Cyclops/Seamoth/P.R.A.W.N. Suit and a defensive Cyclops/Seamoth P.R.A.W.N Suit? That way you an use all the upgrades

(I know it seems convaluted but If we ask for more slots won't it be more work for the devs and won't Subnautica's release be delayed further?)
    There really isn't a need for attack or defense. There's really only explore. And no matter how safe you drive you'll still take damage due to spawn issues. I guess I could nix the storage, but that seems like it would work best if I had a working knowledge of caves, bases and everything else.
    I don't like the idea of having more slots for the 'clops but I do have a suggestion, why not have 2 of each? a offensive Cyclops/Seamoth/P.R.A.W.N. Suit and a defensive Cyclops/Seamoth P.R.A.W.N Suit? That way you an use all the upgrades

The problem isn't using "all the modules", it is to make the players choice an actual conundrum with gain & loss

If you had specialized subs, the player wouldn't be responsible if it suck at what he tried to gear it for. He would just think "meh, solar-panel isn't useful on an 'offensive' subs" and only use the only configuration that work (since all other are so easily crippling).
    Plus, what do one even mean by 'offensive' ? Less armor more torpedo? In a game built around pacific exploration?

More slots mean you can have modules with downsides to compensate for all the good they do. Being able to use Sonar & DPS together would result in using more power, giving you a reason to use efficiency or solar/thermal upgrade.
    And that's not considering the possibility for more module, which would be pointless now when there is only 3 slots free.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Not really. Storage, Pressure compensator and Armored plating are basically required for Seamoth. After that you have either Solar charging, Power Efficiency (Both useless, IMO).

The solar charger is extremely usefull. My seamoth is almost always at 90% power or higher as I just park in the sun when out on adventures.
    Not really. Storage, Pressure compensator and Armored plating are basically required for Seamoth. After that you have either Solar charging, Power Efficiency (Both useless, IMO).

The solar charger is extremely usefull. My seamoth is almost always at 90% power or higher as I just park in the sun when out on adventures.
    I always keep a spare power cell just in case. Also: the little guy can go anywhere (excluding past 900m depth) on 30% charge and make it back to base. I would say the Solar charger would be much better if you used it in conjunction with the PDD (unless you're in the forgotten river).
    Anyone use the Engine Efficiency Module? Does it effect things like the PDD's full burst?
    That's another reason for more slots,

Upgrade that recharge energy are only useful if you have reasons to drain more of that power. Thing is, the Seamoth itself don't use that much power and you'll only have two free slots for upgrades some of which don't use more energy.
    So if you took energy upgrade you don't have space for anything using it
    And if you didn't take one the energy upgrade will dry your energy (and it's easier to switch powercell once in a while than carry several upgrades to be switched at moment notice)

I mean, do you imagine yourself going out of the Seamoth as you are attacked to replace a sonar by a defense module?

And again, don't go thinking the game would be too easy if you had more upgrades.
    If you had more upgrades you would use them more often, you would feel more confident, taking more risk because you've got armor AND defense AND you have storage to carry more loots (before going to safety) AND to top it off you would think you can escape easy because you have a Sonar.

Well? use the above and you'll be out of energy faster while staying longer (since you have storage) and that's putting aside the possibility of adding downside tied with the benefit effect.
    I mean, just imagine if using the Sonar attracted some rare hostile?

All for today, I'm hoping it will be considered for expansion. Even as a DLC I'd buy a good one, and if it's free? I'm buying the game for a friend.
  • VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
    We don't need any more slots. Four slots force the player to prioritize upgrades.
  • NecrovoreNecrovore Twisty Bridges Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231359Members
    Late game modification table recipe to fuse a few of the upgrades? A Max upgrade armor paired with a max upgrade depth upgrade seems a safe one, would take a couple rare ingredients and would be able to be used in both Seamoth and Prawn suit. Gives the effect of an extra module slot without disrupting any early game exploration and challenge.
    I always keep a spare power cell just in case. Also: the little guy can go anywhere (excluding past 900m depth) on 30% charge and make it back to base. I would say the Solar charger would be much better if you used it in conjunction with the PDD (unless you're in the forgotten river).
    Anyone use the Engine Efficiency Module? Does it effect things like the PDD's full burst?

No, the efficiency modules only apply to energy lost from movement. I'm not entirely sure if anything built inside the Cyclops also benefits from the efficiency module, but modules do not receive a cut.
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    I'm fine w/ current amount.
    Forces you to use your nogin
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    And now the cyclops will have 6 slots
    Next to convince them to give 6 modules for the Seamoth, probably harder because there's less place, but it's just as necessary.
    I think it makes more sense to have 4 slots for the seamoth
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    IMHO, the vehicle modules and slots should be reworked so that one (or more) slots aren't permanently occupied by "essential" upgrades like the pressure compensator and the efficiency modules. This applies to all the vehicles, not just the cyclops. Right now, we effectively only have two viable upgrade slots in the Cyclops with how essential the depth and efficiency upgrades are.

This could be done by adding special slots for the depth upgrades, and by integrating the efficiency boost into the base Cyclops.