Suggestion: Active Lava Zone is TOO HARD, Prawn Suit is useless there

FrunobulaxFrunobulax New Hampshire Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230523Members
OK, I know many people will call me a wimp or loser or whatever. Many people will say "well, *I* did it, so you are just lame!". But actually I am a very experienced gamer. I've been playing computer games for 30 years, and spent a couple years as a paid game designer on some A-list titles. So I'm not just a random fanboi. I know what's involved in designing and making games. And I LOVE Subnautica. I think the game is amazing. I can only wish for more - more maps, locations, vehicles, stories, etc. But that doesn't make the game perfect.

In the "middle" of the game, about where I am now, you are require to visit the Inactive Lava Zone, and then of course the Active Lava Zone to find the alien thermal plant. Finding the (currently) single entrance is nearly impossible without looking up cheats in Google. And when you get there, it's a MASSIVE pain in the ass to maneuver your Cyclops down the shaft very far. But, OK - I can deal with that. Hey, it's supposed to be challenging, right? But then when you drop off the Prawn Suit for exploring, it all goes to shit. OK, again, I understand - it shouldn't be easy. There should be challenges. But the Prawn suit is pretty much DEFENSLESS!

The prawn suit has:
o NO sonar, so you can't tell where you're going
o NO shield or electric field to fight off critters
o TERRIBLE lights - no floodlights, and the existing lights don't even light up what's directly in from of you when you are close up.
o NO way to indicate at all what critters are around so you can avoid them
o The CONSTANT damage from heat and critters makes you have to exit every 2 minutes

If just one or two or even three of the above were true, but not the rest, it would be OK. I;'m smart. I've careful and cautious. I don't take stupid risks. But my experience in the Active Lava Zone was just a string of "BOOM! YOU'RE DEAD!" Even with the torpedo arm, I was constantly dying because usually the critters just attack you from nowhere with no chance to use it. It's just "BAM! A warper gets you out of the suit! BAM! you are dying from heat. BAM! Some huge critter eats you! BAM, parasites make your view impossible!" It's just SO hard to make any progress without saving every step. I don't want to make it *easy*, but, geez... I went from saving every hour or so to having to save every 3 minutes, and reloading 37 times!

So, all of you, go ahead- tell me I'm lame and my skillz suck or whatever. But I realize this game is still in beta and I'm only offering these comments so it can be better balanced when it releases. Most importantly, give the Prawn Suit SOME kind of way to defend itself beyond the useless torpedoes (that don't let you kill anything permanently). At least gibe it a sonar so you can find your way around. I'm really tired of walking around in the suit basically blind. You have no sonar. You can't tell when enemies are near. You can't get upgraded jets until you go to the place where you really NEED upgraded jets. You can't even see two inches in front of you, especially when you're right up against something - the wall in front of you is completely black. I have so far spent about 3 hours trying to find my way out of the active lava zone, and due to the lack of sonar, numerous caves, and horrible lighting, I *still* can't get back to my Cyclops. I'm so tried of stumbling around in the dark looking for an exit with no sonar.

Anyways, all that is my feedback. Call me a pussy if you want. But no one will play this game if it's so hard in the middle.

Comments

• gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    the drill arm works somewhat well at making the dragon let go Gas Torpedos from the torpedo arm works well also, the Hull Reinforcement makes surviving the dragon as well as accidentally touching lava easier also if equipped with the Propulsion Cannon arm you can arm and launch decoys by hitting F

also the active lava zone is a lava lake with no islands or cover requiring you to ether spiderman across the ceiling using the grappling arm or crawling around the edge to get to the precursor building which is what makes it the biggest pane in the ass
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    i also have a hard time evading the damn dragon
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You want the drill arm and grappling arm -- use the grappling arm to rappel around, it's much faster. You'd also benefit from the jumpjet upgrade, same reason (speed). Instead of the Drill Arm, if there is a Repulsion Arm that'd help some (or use the Propulsion arm, which I know we do have, and throw things at creatures to drive them off).
  • FrunobulaxFrunobulax New Hampshire Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230523Members
    Well, the biggest thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that I'm LOST and can't get out! I got my cyclops as close as I could to the entrance. I got my Prawn suit down there. And (with a TON of saving/reloading) managed to find some Kyantie crystals so I could upgrade my jump jets. But now I'm completely lost and disoriented and can't find my way out. Since I have no sonar, I can't see exits and overhangs and so on. Since the built-in prawn suit lights go completely black when you are up close to a rock face, I can't see a thing while I'm grappling upwards. I have no way to find my way out, probably have to go up about 150-200 meters to get back to the sub. I've been trying for HOURS, but everytime I gain a few meters upwards, I hit some kind of ledge or overhand and fall right back to where I started. I have no path, no plan, even the "warpme" cheat just warps me back to my Prawn suit, not the Cyclops. My only option would be to kill myself, build a NEW cyclops and prawn suit, and hope for better luck next time - that SUCKS! WHY DOESN'T THE PRAWN SUIT HAVE A SONAR, WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE DOES??? WHY DON'T THE LIGHTS WORK BETTER ESPECIALLY CLOSE UP?? I'm sorry for the caps, but I'm frustrated and bored trying to escape. Sure, I can see the waypoint to my Cyclops, but NO way to see the obstacles between me an it! <fume>!
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    Frunobulax wrote: »
    Well, the biggest thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that I'm LOST and can't get out! I got my cyclops as close as I could to the entrance. I got my Prawn suit down there. And (with a TON of saving/reloading) managed to find some Kyantie crystals so I could upgrade my jump jets. But now I'm completely lost and disoriented and can't find my way out. Since I have no sonar, I can't see exits and overhangs and so on. Since the built-in prawn suit lights go completely black when you are up close to a rock face, I can't see a thing while I'm grappling upwards. I have no way to find my way out, probably have to go up about 150-200 meters to get back to the sub. I've been trying for HOURS, but everytime I gain a few meters upwards, I hit some kind of ledge or overhand and fall right back to where I started. I have no path, no plan, even the "warpme" cheat just warps me back to my Prawn suit, not the Cyclops. My only option would be to kill myself, build a NEW cyclops and prawn suit, and hope for better luck next time - that SUCKS! WHY DOESN'T THE PRAWN SUIT HAVE A SONAR, WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE DOES??? WHY DON'T THE LIGHTS WORK BETTER ESPECIALLY CLOSE UP?? I'm sorry for the caps, but I'm frustrated and bored trying to escape. Sure, I can see the waypoint to my Cyclops, but NO way to see the obstacles between me an it! <fume>!

For a gamer of 30 years, you'd think you'd be aware that deploying navigational aids such as beacons would be a good idea. Also didn't you say you was in the active lava zone? That place only has one entrance marked by a clear lava fall.
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    edited June 2017
    Kellise wrote: »
    Frunobulax wrote: »

For a gamer of 30 years, you'd think you'd be aware that deploying navigational aids such as beacons would be a good idea. Also didn't you say you was in the active lava zone? That place only has one entrance marked by a clear lava fall.

Actually, there is a second one
    in the lava pit

@Frunobulax
    Are you sure, you got stuck in ALZ, not in the Lava Castle? Your descriptions suggest the latter.
    If this is the case, the best you can do is to forget about your Cyclops beacon for a while, since the corridor leading inside is a little bit complicated.

And about the PRAWN in general, it is the best vehicle for deep, unfriendly areas, if outfitted well. It's a good idea to keep some addictional upgrades somewhere at your disposal, especially on longer runs. I would also suggest trying double grappling arm - it lets you traverse underground biomes faster, than the Cyclops can go on flank speed.
    Not to mention, that some players pick this suit to exterminate some dangerous fauna...
    That said, PRAWN is far from beeing useless.
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    Honestly I used the Prawn to grab some Kyanite and went to the thermal base with just a seaglide from the Cyclops. I found the entrance to the area with the cameras and made a straight shot for it.
    To get out, don't hug the top of the cavern. Drive around a bit and you'll find the waterfalls that come back up behind the big tree. The Sea Dragon, Warpers, and Lava Lizards might give you a hard time, but good luck.
  • FrunobulaxFrunobulax New Hampshire Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230523Members
    edited June 2017
    Kellise wrote: »

I DID leave beacons. My Cyclops is only about 400 meters away, I just can't GET to it. On my way in, there was no sign saying "this is the best way to reach the only exit, leave a beacon here" The Cyclops isn't useless of course, but it does need a SONAR! Why do all the other vehicles have them, but not this one?

Thanks for the tip about the lava falls, though. Is it a big fall, or just a trickle?

• WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    The cyclops has a sonar upgrade ..
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited June 2017
    I just went there to say. My prawn bearly got deastoryed while I was in front of the PCF. It took no damage anywhere else. Why? Because I dont touch the lava. I avoid it.
    Wiirlak wrote: »
    The cyclops has a sonar upgrade ..

Duh, you're right - my mistake. I meant to say the Prawn Suit needs one.
    I just went there to say. My prawn bear got deastoryed while I was in front of the PCF. It took no damage anywhere else. Why? Because I dont touch the lava. I avoid it.

I avoid the lava too. I just can't find my way out because the prawn suit has zero visibility close up (right up next to a wall) and far away (no sonar).
  • NachomanNachoman Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225029Members
    Seriously dude, learn to use the grappling hook. You can virtually fly around the lava zone once you get the hang of it, best attachment by far for mobility on the prawn, lava zone is where it really shines.
    Nachoman wrote: »
    Seriously dude, learn to use the grappling hook. You can virtually fly around the lava zone once you get the hang of it, best attachment by far for mobility on the prawn, lava zone is where it really shines.

It's pretty hard to use the grappling hook when you can't see anything. Yeah, in the open ocean or regular caves it's easy because you can see where you're going. But in the pitch black, how do you aim? I'm supposed to just randomly shoot it off into the darkness and hope? Since I have no idea what the shape of the terrain around me is, I can make it up 50 or 100 feet and then hit an overhang or ceiling or whatever and have to drop right back down. You can't move horizontally along an overhand with the grapple. The lights on the prawn suit are useless up close and at a distance, and without a sonar I have no idea what's out there.
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    Just turn your gamma up (and close your windows)

I can see clearly down there ..
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    I parked my cyclops right by the entrance to the cave and used the Seaglide to get to the thermal base